Mon, Sep 9, 4:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: OT- Extreme 3d models!! but is it "art"?

donniemc0 ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 9:16 AM · edited Sun, 08 September 2024 at 8:00 PM

Attached Link: http://www.nationalgalleries.org/mueck/

Coming from Edinburgh, this is my favourite time of year when the Edinburgh Festival is in full swing. This year an artist named Ron Mueck has caused a lot of debate amongst the artistic community with his current sculpture exhibition (is it art or craft..etc etc). I couldn't resist going along myself and have to say i was absolutely blown away at this guy's work.!!

have a look for yourselves and give me your views :blink:

http://www.nationalgalleries.org/mueck/

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 9:34 AM

I would say it's art, but not my particular choice of viewing.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

erosiaart ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 9:54 AM

oh..now you did it! :rolleyes: you had to ask that question.. is it art or craft? depends on how you take it.

webster dictionary says art is a skill..one that you perfect..which means even being a grave digger (sorry) is an art. probably. but then..skill is craft.  the next version says art is that skill which connects our consious with our subconsious. it allows us to explore our inner self and fill that urge to understand our ever changing body, mind and universe. in otherwords..it allows us to use our imagination to feel or think.

craft? just the useof skill.. that's it. it's one lesser than art. it's the usage of a skill. art is making use of that craft to make the viewer feel or think.

depends on what ron muek does to you. he is good at what he does. can you call it art? go see what you feel when you see his work. if it makes you feel even a bit or stirring..even if it triggers your imagination a bit..and leaves you thinking a wee bit..it is art. if it doesn't...it's craft.

if i'd have to describe his work..i'd say his sculptures are crafted art!

art is very subjective, btw.

danamo ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the link DonniemcO. I find his work most impressive and I think he is a superb sculptor. I wish I could see the installation in person. Yes,I would say this should be considered as "art".

ysvry ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 4:42 PM

fantastic art, verry refreshing. kind of scary though.

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 5:41 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2659655

By mdt, at the above thread, approx post #8...

"My definition of Art- Any deliberate, aesthetic act designed to illicit an emotional, intellectual or creative response. The primary characteristic is that the act (the creation of a painting, a song, dance, theater, performance, etc...) must be deliberate. Nature, while often aesthetically pleasing, is not art.

Whether or not it is “good” art is up to the viewer. Whether or not someone decides to spend “good” money on “bad” art is their own problem. Make or buy what you like and you will always be happy."
I totally agree with mdt. I only wish I could have phrased it so succinctly:-))

Cheers,
Diolma
(PS - I would have spelt "illicit" as "elicit" - but that's me being pedantic.. I'm well prone to typos myself)

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 6:45 PM

art is what happens in my head when I'm making pictures (wonderful stuff in there..;) what happens when it goes through my fingers and through the keyboard, I don't think there's a name for that..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Incarnadine ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 7:55 PM

Who cares - as long as making it gives you pleasure!

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

Dann-O ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 8:01 PM

I would say art. Great stuff and he has a excellent understanding of anatomy. I do feel when there is a bit too much realism it looks a bit creepy sometimes.  I like more of a charature look. But ther eis no denying his skills.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

danamo ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 2:09 AM

I'd love to be able to reach that level of disturbing realism in rendering 3D people in my scenes, and in animations. I could do some weird stylized stuff. Get a posse. Pimp my ride.

attileus ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 6:11 AM

Wow, I like the lifelike appearance of his models; a pretty good idea to make sculptures that are "alive"...it would be even cooler if he would model some naked Vickies With Sword bashing Dragons; the possibilities are enormous! :-)

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 6:20 AM

Quote - art is what happens in my head when I'm making pictures (wonderful stuff in there..;) what happens when it goes through my fingers and through the keyboard, I don't think there's a name for that..;)

ROTFL, a true reflection of my own frustration as I attempt art!

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

catlin_mc ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 12:24 PM

Thanks for pointing out this exhibition, I think it looks fantastic and is definately art. If I had known this was on I would have been over to see it already.

That's it, tomorrow I will be Edinburgh bound to take in some of the festival fun. 8)

Kathye ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 8:00 AM

Well if you hadn't posted this I'd not have realised that I had been emailing someone across the City from me :D 

I also had not seen the exhibition but thanks for the link.  I'd say art but in the art/craft debate I tend to already lean very much to the inclusion of crafts.  Amazing skill but I'd be a bit spooked by something SO lifelike, especially of a parent!

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 7:49 PM

Hmmm ... absolutely art.  No less art than a photorealistic painting or rendering.  To me, the word "craft" means the production of a utilitarian object.  It can still be very artistic, but if the primary purpose is the utility of the thing (such as a superbly painted chair to sit on, or the best dug grave in the whole world) then it's craft.  For me the term "art" means something intended for no other purpose than to evoke an emotional response.  That's probably not everyone's distinction, but it's worked for me over the years.

Way back in my UCLA days, I learned that the Romans painted their sculptures to make them seem as realistic as possible.  Of course, we are all used to seeing them without their paint, so we think of "classical" art as being something it really wasn't.  This guy's work is probably more like the work of the classical artists than one might think.

Ricky (wish I was in Scotland ... it was 104 here today and I had to mow the lawn)

Could be worse, could be raining.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.