Sat, Sep 21, 2:53 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Vue 5 Infinite process priority

starbase1 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 4:01 AM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 12:26 AM

Hi All,

I like to have long animations chugging away as a background task, while I work on setting up the next one, or trying new stuff. I'm new to Vue, so there's a lot to learn.

I noticed though that Vue was getting very unresponsive indeed. A quick check with ctrl-alt-del showed that it had dropped it's process priority to 'low' and did it again after I shoved it back to normal.

Now this is extremely desirable behaviour in a background task, but not so useful inj a foreground task! Is there a way to make Vue a bit more assertive in it's processing?

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 10:32 AM

Have you made sure all other uncessary processes are shut down first? Or that they don't have a normal to high priority over vue?

That avatar is disconcerting  The eyelash should be moving too.  Gives me the creeps.

Tirjasdyn

starbase1 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 12:40 PM

Well, there are always a lot of things running - but I have never ever seen a process that dynamically changes it's own priority class downwards before...

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 5:13 PM

I've never seen this in Vue. If you change its priority in windows  task manager, it never goes back to low on my machine. anyway, changing the prority won't give any significant increase in render speed, I've tried it whitout any luck.

starbase1 ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 1:44 AM

I'm on Windows Xp pro, and the latest patch Vue 5 infinite.

It lowers its priority when sent to the background, always on my machine. It does make a difference to render time, if it is competing with another process for CPU...

If I want it to render in backkground, it works if I minimize then change the prioirty...

Very odd, but at least it's now predictable.
Nick

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.