Sat, Oct 5, 3:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 4:27 pm)

Subject: Download Managers for Poser 5 FREE

craftycurate ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 2:16 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 3:25 AM

Has anyone had success in using a Download Manager to download the Free Poser 5 Setup.exe? My downloads keep quitting prematurely.

Thanks
Richard

Jules53757 ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 2:43 PM

They disabled DL-managers and limited the connections for Dl to 200. I have the same prob, the best result I got was 192 MB of the Hero Content Disk before the Dl stopped :(

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

krazik ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 3:02 PM

Hmm We never disabled download mangers. ;)  Where did you see that?

I like Getright myself.

craftycurate ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 4:44 PM

I wonder ... are there still so many people trying to connect that I can only get to the file 1 time in 100, the other 99 return "Download limit reached"?

Richard

craftycurate ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 4:59 PM

Would anyone in the UK be willing to burn the two Poser 5 files to a CD and post it to me in return for a payment through e.g. PayPal?

I have a licence number of my own, but I can't download the files - the server keeps booting me off prematurely, and download managers can't seem to recover from being booted off, and it seems impossible to get to download the file in the first place.

Thanks
Richard

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 05 September 2006 at 10:35 PM

Saw a note at the CP that the offer has been extended to the 8th!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 1:32 AM

If you ever get the product in your cart and get your serial number, the DL wont expire....after 2 failed attempts to get it, I decided to wait a week or so more after all the hoopla dies down...

Crafty, if you are getting a download limit reached message at CP, they might have to reset your downloads..you only have 10 DL attempts to start with

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:45 AM

I'm getting the download limit reached & I've only tried to download both parts once

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

dphoadley ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:56 AM

I've used up three downloads on one part, and two on the other, and frankly I'm worried.  It starts to download, then stalls, and then I have to cancell, and... I've lost another download.  If this happens to a significant number of people, it may that they'll have to grant us 20 downloads instead of ten.
These are not run-of -the-mill freebies, such as MT packets for V3.  Thses are a major application installment files, and as such are very difficult set indeed.  In light of this fact, I think CP should allow a certain amount of leeway to be adjusted into their download protocol.
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:32 AM

I can't even get on the site! and that's with a T3 line at work...:| sigh...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 6:05 PM

Can`t you reset your downloads at CP like at daz?

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 9:30 PM

Quote - Hmm We never disabled download mangers. ;)  Where did you see that?

I like Getright myself.

I tried using GetRight and it still craps out after only downloading about a 1/3 of the file.
And it says right there while I am downloading that the site (CP) doesn't allow
resuming of downloads.  So after it craps out there is no file in my directory.
Aparently GetRight just deletes the chunk it downloaded. So I have nothing
there for GetRight to resume the loading of and so I am forced to start from
scratch each time. 

Fazzel ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 9:36 PM

Quote - I've used up three downloads on one part, and two on the other, and frankly I'm worried.  It starts to download, then stalls, and then I have to cancell, and... I've lost another download.  If this happens to a significant number of people, it may that they'll have to grant us 20 downloads instead of ten.
These are not run-of -the-mill freebies, such as MT packets for V3.  Thses are a major application installment files, and as such are very difficult set indeed.  In light of this fact, I think CP should allow a certain amount of leeway to be adjusted into their download protocol.
David P. Hoadley

Or perhaps CP should break it up into smaller chunks so we don't have to spend 5 hours per half
to download each half.  It could even be out ISPs have a time-out limit and that is
why we aren't getting the full file. 

ratscloset ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 12:01 AM

Quote - Can`t you reset your downloads at CP like at daz?

Yes, but not the user. They need to contact Support.

Also, for those that are having the download start over with a Download Manager, the failure was due to corruption of the File. Download managers should pick up where the previous one left off if they are working correctly. If it is corrupted, you need to clear your Cache, Temp Folders and any other location where the corrupt download may reside. Otherwise you end up with another equally corrupt file since the computer will try to make use of the data already collected by default. I do not think you can turn this off and on.  If you are not using a download manager and this is occuring it is due to a corrupt file also. Another trick is to rename the subsequent attempts, when you know you had a failed download. This will prevent this from occurring most time.

ratscloset
aka John

IO4 ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 5:46 AM

I've been getting corrupt files aswell. Tried three downloads, each time the same thing. If they're going to offer something they should at least make sure the damn thing functions properly!! I'm not impressed with CP at all regarding this. Yeah, it's great that it's free, but this downloading buisness is really frustrating - you wait for days to be able to get a download and then the download doesn't work!! Has anyone actually managed to get it up and running? Please post a reply if you have with any tips!  I beginning to suspect it's a marketing ploy to get people to the site or something :sneaky: 

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 7:34 AM

Surely CP could hire other servers to speed up the downloads?  It would cost money but it must slow down the whole site and it could keep going on for a few more weeks.

craftycurate ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 7:47 AM

Has ANYONE managed to complete a download?

IO4 ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 7:52 AM

Yeah, that's what I'd like to know. I've completed a download in that it's finished downloading, but the file sizes haven't been right . The full file sizes are supposed to be 286mb and 344bm (from the CP forum). None of mine have been this.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

dphoadley ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 9:40 AM

Could this ALL be an elaborate HOAX of some sort????  Could it be that the files don't actually exist, and that they're just having a big laugh at our expense?  The last time I downloaded a file it was only 322K.  322K!  Barely enough to display the icon on my desktop download file.  And it's been like that all along, either the download stalls after a half-hour to an hour, or it suddenly declares the download completed after downloading barely a fraction of it. 
Could the system be so choked -or is this something done deliberately just to tantalize us?  After this much time, my suspicions are beginning to be the later.
Yours truly,
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

GreyPixel ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 5:55 PM

Actually I have been trying to download some actual purchases, not freebies and the site keeps giving up on me...its ridiculous. This means that regular customers to the site would also be dramatically effected, making downloading of bona fide purchases impossible. I really wish the nightmare would be over on the 8th!!!

RedHawk ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 7:43 AM

I have actually downloaded and installed file #1 (Poser 5 itself) successfully.....

The farthest I've made it with file #2 is 150 mb.....and that took nearly 5 hours on cable.

<-insert words of wisdom here->

Boofy ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 7:59 AM

Hey at least some of you have had a sniff of the download! I have only got as far as putting it to 'my stuff' and then basically being to told to take a hike we're tired!

Jenny

RedHawk ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 8:31 AM

Check your 'My Stuff' link at CP. I just noticed that my d'loads on this have been reset to '0/10'.

Trying file #2 again now.......:unsure:

Mystic-Nights ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 9:01 AM

I downloaded the files last night. I used GetRight download manager for the Poser Content zip. It showed the file name as the string of numbers before the actual file name. I just renamed it before starting the download. It timed out at 50%, I paused and resumed it and downloaded successfully on the 2nd try. I checked the zip file and it unzips fine.

I am on a 6mb Cable connection and with Internet Explorer or Opera I was getting slow speeds of 20K/sec. With GetRight I averaged 170 to 230K/Sec on the 2nd and successful attempt.

For setup.exe I tried it with GetRight but got a download called Static.php. I then used Opera browser which downloaded it successfuly. Note that when the file pops up it says you are downloading Setup.html just rename it to Setup.exe before starting the downloading. Download speed was around 200k/sec this time with a browser, so it looks like the site is speeding up.

Hope this helps someone.

RedHawk ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 11:31 AM

Finally got both files completed!

On my second attempt this morning, I was averaging around 175-200 K/sec.

I think they've finally got their act together.

krazik ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 3:54 PM

glad it worked for you.  

if only you guys knew how much traffic we're getting you wouldn't say we finally got our act together.

We're pushing about 700mbits/sec of poser 5 downloads right now.  Sorry it to so long but the all the hardware in place that can handle that much traffic along with switching our line from a 100 meg ethernet to gigabit fiber took me many days and nights.

You should be able to get you p5 eaisly now.

-Rylan

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 4:05 PM

Well, I finally got the setup.exe tonight (after three or four failed d/l attemps) and the content is at 61% and counting.

The connections have been a bit slow, though, something like 45-50kb/sec both times. My ADSL normally maxes out at a bit over 70kb/sec.

SWAMP ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 4:51 PM

Attached Link: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Since I already have Poser5 on disk, I didn’t do the DL. I just registered and got the extra serial number (and will make a copy of my disk).

For what it’s worth though, my friend that is on dial-up got both DL’s using a free download manager I recommended to him.
It’s called “Free Download Manager”, and works much better than my paid-for “Inter Download Manager” as it keeps resaving the already downloaded chunk and never deletes it (not like GetRight or IDM does).
It integrates and works well with both IE and FireFox.

Chuck

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 8:48 PM

I got both parts an hour or so ago, I downloaded the content first, that took about 3 hours but the main program only took 1 hour.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 10 September 2006 at 4:04 AM

Ahhh, Sorry for sounding dumb...as against just acting dumb but what are these 'download managers' and why do we have to change the names of things???

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 10 September 2006 at 4:16 AM

I used get right but didnt have to rename anything, you might have to rename a file to resume it but I didnt resume it I just downloaded the whole thing in one go.

A download manager is a program that lets you download things and resume downloads when some sites dont let you resume,  they also have ways to speed up downloads but a lot of sites dont allow that.

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 10 September 2006 at 4:19 AM

Thanx Xantor. I will see if my pc is ready to take the plung!!!! Wish me luck!

xantor ( ) posted Sun, 10 September 2006 at 4:55 AM

I would suggest waiting till late at night to download at least for the next few days because then the internet will be less busy and your downloads will be more likely to work.

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Sun, 10 September 2006 at 8:30 AM

The good news: I got both files last night and installed successfully.  :thumbupboth:

The not-so-good news: it's been so long since I abandoned P4 and switched over to DAZ|Studio, I've forgotten how the Poser UI works. I'll have to learn it all over again...  :unsure:

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 4:29 PM

Can someone kinly tell me which folder do I download the Hero zip file into please(before I stuff it all up)? Jenny

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 5:44 PM

Quote - Can someone kinly tell me which folder do I download the Hero zip file into please(before I stuff it all up)? Jenny

If by "download" you mean clicking on the link on the CP website so you can get the file into your computer, the answer is, anywhere you're fairly sure you can find it again. I've put mine in the same place as my P5 setup, for the moment. Once you've unzipped the file (again, to somewhere you're not likely to lose it), you don't need it again: back it up for safekeeping. Open the unzipped folder, and follow the instructions (double-click on "index.htm").

(I started this reply the way I did because I've come across people saying "download" when they meant "install" or even "copy" and similar confusions.)

Boofy ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 5:52 PM

Thanks SpottedKitty. I will have a go. Thanks also for the tip on confusing meanings, I had never even thought of the different connotations to 'download'. I see what you mean by the confusion it can cause. I will try to remember to be more specific in future. Have a great day. jenny

SpottedKitty ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 5:57 PM

Have fun!

("Fun" can have different meanings, too. I'm just now getting to grips with dynamic clothes in my shiny new P5. Oh, my aching brain cells... but it looks good.)  🤤

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 9:27 PM

heck, I downloaded it, copied the SN to a text file, and burned the whole megilla to CD immediate-like..;) dang there are alot of files in the hero zip (must be named after the sandwich..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.