Sat, Sep 21, 2:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: Tutorial on how to turn your Poser files into 3D Prints

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:56 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 12:33 PM

I'm an 3D illustrator that specializes in 3D lenticular (an autostereographic print technology, no glasses!) development.

I'm thinking about writing a tutorial on how to make 3D prints from your Poser files. I was wondering if there was any interest?

ZaxysDMI

Zaxys Depth & Motion Imaging
http://www.zaxys.com

jonthecelt ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 11:27 AM

Any chance of an example or two of the kind of thing your talking about?

jonthecelt

rreynolds ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 12:50 PM

It's the kind of art where two images are superimposed such that shifting one's view changes which image is being seen. The Hulk Series One DVD set has that kind of cover where moving the box shifts the image from David Banner to the Hulk (and, yah, I know the comic character's name was "Bruce", but TV executives thought the name was too gay).

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:26 PM

jeez, those marvel or DC guys really aren't with the times. :lol: if it's o.k. for batman and superman to be gay, why not the hulk as well? I mean, really. when was the last time anybody saw the hulk out dating an hot chick? any, I've seen those lenticular things, like a sheet of tiny plastic lenses IIRC. they're very groovy IMVHO.

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:33 PM · edited Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:36 PM

Yes, actually what you are describing is the simplest form, the flip uses only two images. And for many years that was pretty much all there was. Today's lenticular images usual have between 12 and 24 different images. (Thanks to digital technology.)These images are combined in a special software program and the resulting image is printed on a specially designed material that has strips of lens extruded into it.

The lenses limit your view to only one or two views at a time. If the lenses are oriented so they run horizontally across the card you see an animation when you pivot it on its horizontal axis. However,
if you orient the lenses vertically each of your eyes sees a different image.  If the images are a series of stereo views of a scene you see a print in true 3D.

They are often used as backlit displays at tradeshows, I'm sure there were some at SIGGRAPH it's a big show for the industry. They are also used as POP signage, playing cards, direct mail pieces, luggage tags, and much more. There was a service at one time for Nimslo (a four lens stereo camera) that made 3d prints.

So I guess it's sort a like a viewmaster without the viewer.

ZaxysDMI

rreynolds ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 3:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.snap3d.com/index.php

I'd be interested in a tutorial. There have been tutorials for 3D anaglyph images and I'd imagine that the process is similar unless it's better to get more than two images.

I have a friend who bought a 3D camera and had lenticular 3D photos developed at a little over a buck a photo. The company, that was doing the developing, went out of business and I don't think he's found an alternative service.

I did some Google searching and found Snap3D and it appears that an 8x10 print can be made for around $12. That might be worth looking into.

Below are some anaglyph tutorials (the kind of 3D prints using red and blue glasses for the 3D effect:

http://www.badco3d.com/ab3dp/NGExtras/Tutorials/Stereo/Stereo_Part1.html
http://www.daz3d.com/support/tutorial/tutorial.php?id=658

Fazzel ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 3:48 PM

Quote - jeez, those marvel or DC guys really aren't with the times. :lol: if it's o.k. for batman and superman to be gay, why not the hulk as well? I mean, really. when was the last time anybody saw the hulk out dating an hot chick? any, I've seen those lenticular things, like a sheet of tiny plastic lenses IIRC. they're very groovy IMVHO.

Superman is Gay?  I always thought he had the hots for Lois Lane.  And in Smallville
he seems to be passionate about Lana Lang.

I doubt Batman is Gay either.  He'd be much healthier mentally if he were.

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 4:38 PM · edited Wed, 06 September 2006 at 4:44 PM

Quote - I'd be interested in a tutorial. There have been tutorials for 3D anaglyph images and I'd imagine that the process is similar unless it's better to get more than two images.

Yes definitley, there is no comparison, hands down this is way better. Full color just like a photo but 3D and no glasses.

ZaxysDMI

Bondini ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 8:40 PM

Very interesting and very kind of you offer a tutorial.  Sounds like something that would be fun to explore.

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 8:11 AM

How can you make a tutorial about lenticular lense pictures?  How do you make the lenticular lense part?  or is this one of these just send off $40 and your pictures and we will make the cards for you?

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 9:11 AM · edited Fri, 08 September 2006 at 9:11 AM

You can buy lens material from a number of sources and make your own prints with an ink jet printer. I plan to show how to set up your 3D files to generate the necessary images for either making your own or if you so choose how to work with a lenticular printer.

ZaxysDMI

xantor ( ) posted Fri, 08 September 2006 at 10:27 AM

ok 😊

3DVim ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 12:29 PM

ZaxysDMI, I'm interested, too.   Are you going to show the tutorial here or at your Web site?

3DVim

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Sat, 09 September 2006 at 2:44 PM

My current plan is to release it on Renderosity first. I've begun writing it but it will probably be a few weeks before it is done. Stayed tuned.

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 1:38 PM

Sorry it has taken so long, but the tutorials are done and available on my new web site www.zaxysdmi.com.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.