Sat, Sep 21, 2:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Tutorial on how to turn your Bryce files into 3D Prints

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 11:07 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:33 PM

I'm an 3D illustrator that specializes in 3D lenticular (an autostereographic print technology, no glasses!) development.

I'm thinking about writing a tutorial on how to make 3D prints from your Bryce files. I was wondering if there was any interest?

ZaxysDMI

Zaxys Depth & Motion Imaging
http://www.zaxys.com

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 2:13 PM
Forum Moderator

I cannot speak for the others, but I am certainly interested. 

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 5:01 PM

i'm interested and if I could get involve the better

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 6:39 PM

I've seen Bryce renders made into handheld lenticular's, quite impressive/cool stuff!

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 6:52 PM

Quote - i'm interested and if I could get involve the better

Sure, what did you have in mind?

You can send me an email at peter@zaxys.com if you want to reply outside the forum.

ZaxysDMI

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:54 PM

I don't know anything about 3D lenticular or autostereographic print technology.....   I thought you might be looking for volunteers or something sorry... 

Please write the tutorial...  While you doing that let me read about this "lenticular" process.....
how can you see in 3D without glasses????

got link? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

croowe ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 10:59 PM

I've checked out your site, looks interesting. Yes I think a tutorial would be in order.

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 11:11 PM

saw the site too...... looks good.....

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Wed, 06 September 2006 at 11:17 PM · edited Wed, 06 September 2006 at 11:22 PM

Well, the secret is that the print is wearing the glasses!

Actually a lenticular sheet is a series of lenses embossed or extruded as long half cylindrical lenses.  (see illustration below). The images are sliced up and a piece from each is put under each lens, when you view the print the lens lets each eye will see a different view and creates the 3D effect. It will all be explained in much more detail in the tutorial including how you can proof you own with just an ink jet printer and a laminator.

ZaxysDMI

Oh, here's a couple of links.

http://www.peterjsucy.com/Products.htm - some sample animated gifs demonstrating as best as possible via the web what is actually happening.

http://www.extremevision.com - one of the top printers in the country.

cross section of lenticular sheet.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 12:17 AM

A lot of us have seen these over the years. Mostly in little plastic toys from a ceral box, or similar.

It's normally an image that when the viewer changes the horizontal or vertical position of their head, the image changes from say bruce banner, to the incredible hulk. Back and forth.

Or, in some of the Bryce examples I have seen, the lenticular is a business card sized piece that when moved, shows a handful of frames of a lion jumping towards the "camera". Choppy, but very cool.

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 12:19 AM

Did you know that this technology has been around since before the turn of the century, not this last one but the one before, Kodak used this same technology for Kodachrome film in 1928 only to reproduce color instead of 3D.

Here's a link on the history of lentcular if anyone is interested.

http://www.microlens.com/HistoryofLenticular.pdf

ZaxysDMI

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 07 September 2006 at 12:47 AM

At Siggraph 2005, I took photos of Sony's "Monster House" poster which used the linticular process to give their poster two looks (click "next" to see the image that appears at a different viewing angle);

http://backroom.renderosity.com/~bryce/sig2005/03_studi/sony08_jpg.html

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 1:39 PM

Sorry it has taken so long, but the tutorials are done and available on my new web site www.zaxysdmi.com.

ZaxysDMI

foleypro ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:26 PM · edited Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:28 PM

Attached Link: MichaelHershman

file_377958.jpg

Sweet I say do it..

I use Bryce to compile posters for a Jazz musician and I can say it is so simple that someone needs to let all know...If I had the time in the last 2 years I would have done this already and I am sorry I didnt BUT life hass a way of getting involved...

foleypro ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 4:32 PM

Oh By the way YES I did do all of the Graphic work on the CD which includes the PSP work and Just Plain Everything...

Michael had alot of input into the final design which I can trufully say was an inlightment to me...

I am very excited of the sales so far...

Death_at_Midnight ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 6:04 PM · edited Fri, 18 May 2007 at 6:04 PM

... I'm interested in pricing for those lenticular business cards.

ZaxysDMI ( ) posted Fri, 18 May 2007 at 7:50 PM

Full pricing information is available on the site under "Print Pricing" under the Features column, but business cards start at $340 for 500 with lower prices/card with increased quantities. Shipping is included and no additional fees.

ZaxysDMI

Rayraz ( ) posted Mon, 21 May 2007 at 5:19 PM

Oh i defenitely would love to hear the tutorial on this one!

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.