Tue, Sep 24, 12:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Star Trek Movie 2-6 Uniforms Help Needed

draven_uk ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 10:29 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 10:27 PM

file_350464.jpg

I'm working on some crew pics for someones website and  i am having problems with the uniforms

I'm using poser5 and Max5 and using M3 and V3 for the character bases

the attached pic shows my attempt to adapt the M3 tunic

the two main problems are the shoulder strap and the collor

Has this tunic ever been modeled before or is there anyone who can help with either modeling it or with tips

any help would be greatfully 

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 10:41 AM

not that I know of (I've seen actual tunics at ST conventrions, but no 3d ones yet).

Check with Animotions, maybe Trekkie Grrrl, possibly Excalibur Productions. I doubt they have one, but they may know better than I where you would find one.

I think what you have so far is pretty spot-on..the interior of the tunic area (where it unbuttons) was white. If there's a way to make a 'pocket' in that area, you could do the 'buttoned up' version, but as for flipped down, I got no idee..good luck, and let us know when you have it going.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

draven_uk ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 10:53 AM

not too borther on the unbuttoned that pic was just a reference pic the other two are my attempts sorry for the confusion

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 10:59 AM

I hope you'll make those available in the store at some time, nice work!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

logansfury ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 11:58 AM

I think this is looking GREAT! Thats a very professional and accurate looking texture/transmap combo. I think many people would stick a fork in it at this point! If you are being this meticulous about details im sure you are going to create an awesome final product and it speaks VERY well about any other content you work on in the future :)

for the shoulder strap, a few half-assed suggestions that come to mind:

1- if the tunic has properly aligned polygons, you could in Grouping Tool select a band or strap of polygons in the needed area, create a new group/mat zone out of them, or possibly export as a strap prop.

2- if the tunic polygons arent aligned in a way to make the first suggestion possible, you could possibly use the grouping tool on an existing curved strap like a lasso or reign prop from a poser tack set, then texture map or mat color the piece and parent it in place over the tunic

These are both "jackleg" suggestions, neither of which will achieve the result of a modelled garment piece of course, but may work for a quick and dirty temp solution while you are looking for modelling assistance.

Blackhearted ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 12:10 PM

i think what he was saying in the original post that he was adapting the M3 tunic to this, which means it can only be used for personal use.

id offer to tweak the mesh real fast for your personal use but i do not own the M3 tunic, nor do i plan on purchasing it. also, after the mesh was altered it would have to be regrouped and reconformed which i dont really have time for.

the pants just need a texture map, or if they are modeled in quads you could alternately select the strips of quads running down the side and spawn a new material group. whats with the short pants in the reference image though? theyre like 6" too short.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 2:07 PM

I think your textures look great. 

Perhaps a displacement map would be good enough for the strap and collar?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 2:43 PM

Attached Link: http://www.3dgladiators.com/

Try 3D Gladiators.

You have to post 5 to 10 posts in the forums before you get a download link to the free stuff.  On the rare occasion it might take 34 posts like it did for me.  But apparently that was a first.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

pjanak ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 10:57 PM

Looks good. Butyour tunic conforms to Mikes shape too much. It basically looks near skin tight.and it shouldn't.

Pete

draven_uk ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 2:44 AM

thanks for all the comments am trying the 3d gladatiors site as well

draven_uk ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 11:45 AM

i've tried out the file at 3dglads and followed the instructions but it doesnt look lie the pic (no strap on the shoulder no belt) have i done something wrong

Also where does the .pcf file go ????

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 11:55 AM

Quote - i've tried out the file at 3dglads and followed the instructions but it doesnt look lie the pic (no strap on the shoulder no belt) have i done something wrong

Also where does the .pcf file go ????

Sorry, I didn't mean that there was something there, I only meant for you to check to see if there was something there because I know that they have Star Trek stuff.

Sorry the site wasn't helpful to you.

logansfury ( ) posted Sat, 12 August 2006 at 2:16 PM

The .pcf should be addressed in the readme. It will go into a designated folder in Geometries, and you will access it there with the free utility Objaction Mover 101

This program converts the .pcf into an .obj as long as you have purchased the appropriate retail model who's .obj is used as the keyfile to convert your .pcf (its a copywrite protection fuction that allows modellers to provide character content based on trademarked retail models like the ones from Daz3D)

you can freely download the Mover from here:

http://www.3dpmr.com/Utilities.asp

hope this helps,

Logan

draven_uk ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2006 at 5:25 AM

Thanks Logan that was a big help (also gives me an idea on haw to release this when it finished) i'll post some update pics when they happen

logansfury ( ) posted Sun, 13 August 2006 at 6:48 AM

Glad to assist.

Prob the best way to cover your backside and be sure that you dont get in a mess for trying to provide content is to contact DAZ and inquire about thier guidelines for releasing an item based on thier retail tunic.

Given the existance of Objaction Mover and RTEncoder, another program to accomplish the same result, its clear DAZ  has a history of working successfully with content providers :)

(and naturally a history of working unsuccessfully with content providers. I better mention this before someone more passionette about this fact happens along the thread.....)

draven_uk ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2006 at 9:37 AM

caution noted

draven_uk ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 12:00 PM

just for those who were keeping  an eye on the thread

I have accepted defeat on make these uniforms for the near future

After getting a good working uniform for M3 I encountered many problems when starting the V3 version. While working on the M3 version I was assuming (I know NEVER ASSUME) that the V3 tunic would work in the same way- it doesn’t.

I have tried finding other alternatives to the Daz’s tunics in cluding the purchase of BATLAB’s Vintage Army Uniform but that too was impossible to adapt to suit the needs of the project.

The person whos project this is, is trying to find a modeller to make the tunics from scratch to fit V3 and M3 (really it just needs to be the basic tunic the props I have already) if there is anyone who would like to contribute their time to this you can contact me and I’ll pass you on to the author of the project.

If anyone knows of any other tunic sets that I might have missed then please let me know

And I’ll have another go at them

Thanks for the helpful advice that you have given me.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 12:07 PM

Quote - just for those who were keeping  an eye on the thread

I have accepted defeat on make these uniforms for the near future

Don't give up! :)  It's frustrating trying to learn new stuff, but you will never learn it if you quit.  Take a break from it and go back to it in time.  Maybe the answer is modeling a new garment instead of trying to adapt one that is ready made.

The people here are so helpful and understanding and will help you as little or as much as you need in order to help you progress and learn. It's a wonderful community.

draven_uk ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 3:48 PM

Quote - Don't give up! :)  It's frustrating trying to learn new stuff, but you will never learn it if you quit.  Take a break from it and go back to it in time.  Maybe the answer is modeling a new garment instead of trying to adapt one that is ready made.

The people here are so helpful and understanding and will help you as little or as much as you need in order to help you progress and learn. It's a wonderful community.

thanks for the vote of confidence, iguess the problem is i have no idea where to start modeling a tunic like this so i guess thats the first cry for help

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 7:17 PM

If you have never modeled before, perhaps start with something smaller, like a prop of some kind and work your way up. I think the first thing to learn is the program and the basic principals of modeling before trying something so complex.

draven_uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 4:40 PM

file_354106.jpg

just thought i let you guys know what i've been up to

I've put the unifroms on teh back burner for a wile and decided to concentrate on improving my character creation skills a little bit more. and so i came up with these

Data (this was an acident i was ment to be doing Cpt John Harriman from teh Entprise B but a friend pointed out that it had a bit of brent spinner about it so i continued down that path)

draven_uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 4:42 PM

file_354107.jpg

Gerodi LaForge (still WIP)

draven_uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 4:43 PM

file_354108.jpg

Deanna Troi (just to continue the Enterprise crew)

draven_uk ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 4:49 PM

file_354110.jpg

Seven (not my creation its avalible here its by Orion116 a great purchased though i did a little bit of a tweak)

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 6:13 PM · edited Wed, 13 September 2006 at 6:14 PM

Deanna needs some work IMO. Data and Geordi looks fine.

Deanna also RARELY wears a standard uniform (actually only in the very first episodes and in Chain of Command when she's forced to do so) so in order to make her look like Deanna you should probably dress her in the purple bodysuit that became her trademark (just as Seven of Nine's implants)

Did she ever appear with her bellybutton bare btw? I coubt it. But I'm more a TNG peep than anything else.

Now do a proper Picard and Dr. Crusher (or better yet: Wash) and I'll worship you! :o))

~TrekkieGrrrl

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Wed, 13 September 2006 at 11:57 PM

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.