Tue, Oct 1, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: For all us Poser 5 newbies; How best to integrate Poser 4 runtimes..

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 11:11 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:36 PM

Tempted to just copy the whole Poser 4 runtime megilla into 5, but I seem to remember that 5 (or is it 6) can have multiple runtimes. I'd hate to reload everything...;) what's the best (or most efficient way?)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 11:33 AM

Easiest to just leave it where it is.  That way you can keep the

newly created stuff (with material nodes) separate.

5 and 6 can access multiple runtimes easily, and

(especially if you're 'upgrading' to 5 instead of 6)

you won't want to throw away 4 just yet!

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 12:09 PM

You don't need multiple runtimes in 5 or 6. Both use standard windows folder hierarchy very well!

It's a throwback to P4 that isn't really needed anymore!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

diolma ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 2:12 PM

Hi, pakled.

Adding new runtimes to P5/P6 is a doddle:-)

I assume you've installed P5 into a new folder (eg: Program Files/Curious Labs/Poser 5, or anywhere else for that matter, just don't try to instal it into your P4 folder - that would probably result in disaster).

Open P5. Open ANY library. Navigate back up as far as you can go (via the "bent arrow" at the top of each library).

You should end up at the "top level" with (probably) 2 entries in it, one labelled "Poser 5", the other labelled "Downloads".

Either click on the "+" sign at the bottom of the Runtimes page, or hit the little triangle next to the name of the library you originally opened (it should be there, right near the top) an select "add new runtime" from the drop-down menu.

In the pop-up dialogue, navigate to your poser 4 runtime, highlight that and hit OK...
Your P4 runtime will be added to P5's list of runtimes:-))

NB - this will add (a "pointer" to) ALL of P4's runtime stuff - you don't have to do it for each library...start from any one, you'll get the lot (including geometries).

Cheers,
Diolma

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 2:19 PM

if i were in the postion of having one big p4 runtime that i wanted to break up to make multiple runtimes for p5 or p6 i would not feel safe moving anything without doing it through CR Pro.

and i would put them in a directory of their own.... not in the poser5 or poser6 directory. this way when i move to the next version i dont have to keep the poser5 (or 6) directory just to keep my runtimes.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 18 September 2006 at 6:18 PM

hey thanks..;) I didn't know if multiple runtimes started in 5 or 6. I've gotten to the point in Poser 4 (safe in the Metacreations folder with Poser 3..;) where the names are starting to get truncated..;) This will take some thought..appreciate the help.

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 1:23 AM

One runtime, standard folder hierarchy, easy to find everything, easy to back up [1 runtime to back up instead of loads], better and faster workflow and despite some opinions, no appreciable increase in initial load times of Poser and certainly no slow down when using it!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

scott8539 ( ) posted Tue, 19 September 2006 at 11:20 PM

thank you diolma you just opened up a whole new world to me:)

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 20 September 2006 at 11:11 AM

one runtime to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.