Thu, Oct 3, 12:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: grouping

billy423uk ( ) posted Sat, 23 September 2006 at 11:48 PM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 10:26 PM

i'm grouping polys in order to create the hierarchy. let's say i've picked the polys to form the hip .do i then just move on to the next piece which is the abdomen and add all after everythings been grouped or do i have to add them as i go along? thanks

billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 8:33 AM

i'm not sure i understand your question, but i'll try anyways...

i think add all is fust a way for you to add a bunch of polys and delete what you dont want (so your only removing a few) as opposed to adding a lot of polys.

you will always want your groups to be named after body parts if clothing is what you are making.

can you be more specific?

Comitted to excellence through art.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 9:15 AM

i have a figure i made in max....i now want to rig it in poser, first off i want to assign the polys to groups in order to create the hierarchy.  so i click new group assign polys of the hip area to the hip group...do i then just start on another group for say the abdomen of is there something else i' should do

had a look at some tuts but i cant seem to find anything definitive

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 3:17 PM

ya start on another newgroup. geep must have a tutorial on this. there are shortcuts to speed things up. but they usually assign the groups in max, lightwave, carrara et al., export the obj file, import the thing into poser, spawn props, delete imported obj file, arrange the hierarchy of spawned props, then export from poser to the reference geometry folder.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 5:36 PM

i tried assigning names in max and got lost. lmao. thanks miss nancy.

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 6:06 PM

bummer. maybe they could help ya in the max group. assuming it's as easy to name 'em in max as it is in all the other modeller apps. especially the fun parts: all the fingers and toes :lol:

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 7:15 PM

assign all of your group names (hip, lThigh, etc.) in max...it's easier.

when you export the obj check check "group names" (or something like that) and don't bother assigning materials...do it in poser. i can't recall what the box looks like when you export in max but you darn near include all checks...lol.

i always group in max...it's sooo much easier than poser.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 24 September 2006 at 9:33 PM

the thing is i made the model in one go virtually and it doesnt consist of any groups apart from eyes and mouth lol. its just called body.  been searching for tuts for two days on how to creat body parts and no luck...i put a post in the max forum and not had a reply as such yet lol

billy

thanks for the replies

DarkEdge ( ) posted Mon, 25 September 2006 at 3:06 PM

it easy buddy. you assign polys different names, just that easy. go to the polygon mode, select what polys you want, detach and name as whatever.

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 25 September 2006 at 6:02 PM

thank mucho everyone

billy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 25 September 2006 at 8:01 PM

and don't forget to buy blrender's book, you hear?

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 25 September 2006 at 10:15 PM

i already tried and they won't accept a credit card from the philippines unless i get the card company to ring them with authorisation nancy. looked in all the book stores here and no one has it ..if i want to order it it takes up to 3 months and costs twice the price lmao.

did as you instructed mrpeabody and was able to name some of the objects. i tried importing the obj into poser and when i do it arrives with the verts of each part not joined to the next. stonemason advised welding them in uv mapper which i tried but it never worked. any ideas. you've been a big help so far and for that i'm gratefull

billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 9:00 AM

you have the option to weld either upon export or import (can't remember which one).

but one of the parts to being a good modeler is taking care of unwelded verts while you are still in the modeling stage (max)...it is boring and rather tedious but a necessary evil as well.

there are also scripts that can do that for you i think, but if you get into the habit as you go along it becomes part of the process.

you have a weld button in max and you can set the tolerance as well. try doing everything at once but if your model gets totally screwed up by that then start doing chunks at a time. this is all part of the learning curve so don't feel bad, there are many more curves ahead!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 10:23 AM

You could group it in UVMapper, that's often the easiest way of doing it (at least IMO)

Make a onesided planar map (just for this) and simply do the groups that way - you can nudge them apart while you work.

It works best for bipeds, quadropeds are harder as you can't see all 4 legs on a one sided planar map of course.

I group my stuff in UVMapper pro and poserize it in PhiBuilder. I've tried grouping it in Max but honestly I find UVMapper a lot faster to work with (except in cases where the figure is created from different, logical groups from the start)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 7:41 PM

oops, sorry, billy - my misteak! I thought ya were in the u.k. maybe they have some paypal deal, because these experts can never tell ya all the details of creating a figure in one of these threads, no matter how good they are.

billy423uk ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 8:05 PM

first off i made a complete model with no seperated verts or objects apart from eyes and mouth. then i detached and named the body parts to match a poser hierarchy, they wont weld in poser or uvmapper. plus. if i weld all the verts the group of objects just becomes one object again and thats defeats my obj , pardon the pun lol. it looks like i'll have to do it in poser cos i seem to be getting nowhere fast. 

nancy. i'm going to the uk in feb ...i'll get it when im there.

ernyoka...can it be done in uvclassic?

god i hate this 3d stuff lmao.....

billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 9:13 PM

dude, keep your groups seperated.

select one group and then "hide unselected"...then try welding your verts. continue this and see if that helps.

billy423uk ( ) posted Tue, 26 September 2006 at 10:02 PM

tired that and it doesn't work either in poser or max lol.

billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Wed, 27 September 2006 at 8:42 AM

hmmmm, well then i'm stumped.

try this go here and post a message;

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

max gurus over there but they don't know much about poser but i still think they'll be able to help you. you will have to register but it's a great site.

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 27 September 2006 at 9:50 AM

thanks mrpeabody. i think i hve it sussed but on in poser lol. i hve to bring it in as one obj....fit the bones then create the groups. i think lmao. i've been trying to vreat the or name the areas before i did the rigging.

billy

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 10:39 PM

sorry..it's me again.

i did some naming in groups and the set up room and eevery time i try to save it adds or dtracts something...say i group the hip...i then save and when i open up the file to do the abdomen i have outlines rond polys i never selected. sorry for being inept lol

billy

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 1:45 PM

billyy, i'm not following what you are saying. can you post a pic and give a little more detail?

PhilC ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 2:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.philc.net/OBJ2CR2_page1.htm

What would be really good is if someone could come up with a simple Python script that would be dead easy to use and not take more than three steps to complete.

Rigging a full figure may be difficult but surely clothing must be possible?

Something like ... Load the figure, load the clothing, click a magic "Create Conforming" and it would be all done fore you.

An OBJ2CR2 file converter.

One can only dream ;)

DarkEdge ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 8:11 AM

shoot phil, if anyone can dream of creating that...it would be you, yoda.

that scripting code crap is alien to me.

if; i drink beer

and if; more beer

then; i fall down, and down.

end ;P

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 1:10 PM
nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 12:44 PM

Sounds a bit like auto-group in Poser proper -- which, from my experience, is not something you go to, but something you run from. This shouldn't be an issue. I haven't used a modeler yet that doesn't allow me to name groups of vertices without needing to detach them. If you don't detach, you don't have all these weld issues. Slicing isn't easy, but it also isn't complicated. It's just tedious.

billy423uk ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 5:16 PM

i had my head so far up my arse with this i;m not actually sure which screenshots to post lol.at present i'm once again in the stages of grouping but this time i'm not doing it in the set up room. once thats done i'll have a go at boning the named parts........i have no idea how to slice yet in max though i'll attempt using it once i get this model out of the way. i'm still a newby as far as modelling goes and i have a great deal to learn. i found out about the auto group the hard way lol.

hopefully i can finish the grouping today. thanks every one for the help and time you're giving. it helps more than you can imagine.

billy

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 8:41 AM

I don't know what you're trying to create but, at this stage, make something simple. Don't try for a complete body, make something like a t-shirt or pair of pants. Which is what I've been doing, but since they were a pair of pants with certain attachments, I don't think I can post a picture here.

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 9:49 AM

i already made the model antonia.  and with much hair tugging i can now assign names and objects properly in the grouping room and also place the bones....i did a quick test with some of the body parts turned it into a figure  and they move pretty well. i also got some help off a kind person who sent me the instructions to clone and name parts in max and transfer them to poser.......actually now i know how to use the grouping tool i'm finding it pretty easy though a little more time consuming than doing it in max lol. i'm not smiling just yet though cos after this debacle i have to find out how to do the joints lmao

billy

nomuse ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 1:35 PM

Sounds like you are getting there. And getting there in your own way is far from being a bad thing. People who learn the exact "correct" steps from a tutorial can get flustered and lost when the project at hand doesn't fit into those neat boxes. Fumbling through the entire thing yourself gives you a deeper understanding of the ins and outs of it, and the power to get creative with it later on.

billy423uk ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 6:16 PM

so true nomuse. though tuts at times can be a lifesaver......i've told myself if i ever get this thing finished i'm going to try and do a  tut on naming body parts.....every tut i've read has told me to make a hierarchy with phi or some  other app and i realized if you do the grouping and boning correctly the hierachy manufacter is self generating. i spent two days trying to make one and convert it.....if i 'd have know i could have saved myself a lot of time. also been told that it best to do the grouping in your own app and now i know how, i tend to agree. that said the poser grouping tool is fairly easy to use once u get the hang of it and is a boon to anyone who hasn't much of a clue about their own modelling app like me. (i'm lucky if i know 1% of max lol.) all that aside, i agree that it's best to do the mistakes if you wanna find out how something works and remember how it works lol........what is good is that the people here know how to help or give support for  that i am truly grateful thanks all

billy

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.