Mon, Sep 9, 7:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Selling Art on Ebay?

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:20 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 11:53 PM

I'm not really sure which board to post this on so I came here :)

First of all, I've been thinking about printing out my images and framing them then selling them on Ebay... My questions are:

Can any of items that I've purchased from DAZ or the marketplace here be used commercially? For the free stuff downloads if its allowed as commercial or non-commercial use am I still able to sell it with my artwork to the general public?

Are there any certain guidelines I should follow for description of the artwork for example, product credits just like when its posted here more or less as free advertisement to the designer of each aspect of the artwork?

Any ideas on what the demand for artwork is? Do people actually purchase unknown artist works and if so how much would be reasonable to charge?

Lastly, is this even a good idea? Considering that its not stuff I've handpainted by the evening light or anything but I have put in plenty of time and effort and really enjoy what I do

I would appreciate any suggestions, as a stay at home mom I'd really like to contribute to the income and I would love to do it with something I enjoy. :)

Thanks much!

Anasta

thefixer ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:27 PM

AFAIK any content you purchase can be used for commercial renders, freestuff is another thing, some will let you, others will not!  I never get freestuff now that won't let me use them in commercial images!

People do buy stuff, sure!

Charge what you feel your art is worth is what I'd say!

Go for it girl!

Wait for more responses though just in case I'm wrong on something!  [;-)]

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:30 PM

for freestuff, "no commercial use" means you need to contact the creator of the free item for permisssion to sell it, in return for a percentage of sales.

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:31 PM · edited Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:32 PM

Ahh thanks for the reply :) Yes my biggest concern is for the free stuff which isn't a major issue because most times I just make things for people's desktop backgrounds and whatnot and I can always make new stuff with each item I purchase which has become a small obsession for me now LOL

But I do know that most free stuff comes with a note saying if its allowed for commercial use, what I had thought I would do is contact the designer if I want to sell the artwork and get their permission specifically before selling it...

randym77 ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:33 PM

You can use anything you bought, without crediting it. 

For freebies, the stuff that gives permission for commercial use is okay.  While crediting freebies in the gallery here is considered good manners, it's not really practical when selling prints.

I don't think selling prints on eBay is going to earn you a lot of money.  Check and see what other art is going for...if it's going.

IME, you might have better luck selling graphic sets online (web graphics, brushes, tubes, scrapbooking graphics, etc.) than selling prints on eBay.

You might consider some place like Zazzle, which will handle the printing for you.  Less risk that way. 

Anasta ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 2:41 PM

Thank you randym! :D

At first the idea was only to print out my pictures  to frame and give as Christmas gifts to family and friends but then I had thought if I was going to spend the money to do that why not print out some extras and sell them... I'm not really looking to make alot of money but any extra income always helps. We're a military family so even a little bit of extra income is better then none at all :P

Thank you for the printing suggestion, I'll look into it :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 7:12 PM

they may also print renders for ya here IIRC. ask 'em in the community forum.

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Thu, 28 September 2006 at 7:32 PM

I was thinking of selling products on eBay, has anyone else have, and how did it go?

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

webmaster421 ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 2:36 PM

"Considering that its not stuff I've handpainted by the evening light or anything but "...

Remember - Poser is your canvas. The figures are your brushes. You are creating art - in the 21st century and it is art!  :-D

You got my curiosity up and I went on to EBay and searched for digital art prints just to see how many thousands there would be. There was a lot, but I was surprised that there weren't more listed - usually EBay is flooded with tons of products all virtually the same. I did find one Poser specific seller that puts artwork on address labels and such. You can find the store here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Avalon-Art-Prints-Cards-And-Labels_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

I think it could be a great place to try a few sales of your artwork. Start small and with only a few items and see what happens. I've sold tons of stuff on EBay over the years and it is a fickle market, but the ads really don't cost that much and to me, it's always worth a shot.

Best of luck if you decide to try it! Best regards...

Morf ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 2:43 PM

Also, would you not be able to place your art on Ebay, see if you get orders and then pay to have them printed and mounted - a sort of "Just In Time" process? That would let you guage the market before spending money on tangible products.

Not sure if that is inline with their TOS, just a thought. 

SWAMP ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 3:49 PM · edited Fri, 29 September 2006 at 3:50 PM

An unknown person selling “art prints” online cannot charge very much for them, so you need to keep your cost down to make it worth your while ($).

I would suggest not selling framed prints.

Framing your prints (frame, backing board, window mat and glass) will kill your profits not to mention the packing, shipping and insurance cost involved.

For online sales, “poster prints” that can be rolled up and sent in a shipping tube would be a better way to go (and more appealing to the buyer).

SWAMP

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 7:27 PM

Amen to that

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Fri, 29 September 2006 at 11:48 PM

Aside from Zazzle.com you may want to have a look at cafepress.com!

=  )

Argon18 ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 2:52 AM

I have heard of people making money from putting art on CafePress and then selling them on Ebay. All you have to be careful of is getting the money from the auction on Ebay 1st then shipping it directly from CafePress to the buyer. I guess it does take some accounting to keep track of the orders from Ebay and the shipments from CafePress since there is some processing time from both places that you have to juggle. But it can be done if you want to pu the effort into it.

They have several threads about people who have done it in the CafePress forums if you want to check it out.

Click to get a printed and bound copy plus T-shirts, mugs and hats

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.