Wed, Sep 18, 5:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: A single CPU with 80 cores - Available in 5 years

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 9:08 AM · edited Mon, 16 September 2024 at 7:38 PM

LINK

"Intel has built a prototype of a processor with 80 cores that can perform a trillion floating-point operations per second"

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 11:12 AM

I can't help but wonder if my brother (PhD working for Intel) is on that project.

Ricky (who is very proud of her very smart little brother)

Could be worse, could be raining.

Gog ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 12:18 PM

Just think how much bloat Microsoft could add to windows so that the users see no performance gain what so ever.....:sneaky:

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

Pedrith ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 12:31 PM

Five years....that should be about when i will need to upgrade my mac....eight year would be better money wise though :)

David  :p

Svarg ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 1:34 PM

@ Gog_CA1: HAHAHAHA!! No Joke!!!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

staigermanus ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 2:56 PM

Quote - Just think how much bloat Microsoft could add to windows so that the users see no performance gain what so ever.....:sneaky:

it's called Vista ME (mediocre edition) 2010 - a (core) space odissey

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:10 PM · edited Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:13 PM

That would help Bryce a little wouldn't it, or maybe not j/k. 😄 Im still waiting for my GPU to be used now for rendering(yes I said G P U), than wait 5 years for other techs...

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:29 PM

Lesse...each additional core give about an 80% speed increase, multiplied by 80 cores.....so 5 years from now my Bryce renders will be 6,400% faster....just in time for Bryce 11.0

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:45 PM · edited Wed, 04 October 2006 at 3:50 PM

I was reading at TGDaliy.com that a x1950xtx ATI card(in dual mode) has the floating point  power of about 31 Xeon 5100 processers. ATI and Nvidia are working on maybe some sort of use for the video card for other processing(to much for me to read now), in near future tech.

Svarg ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 4:05 PM

I wonder if Bryce would run on a Cray.

6,400% faster? I'd be saying, "Hey wait! I haven't decided what's going into this scene yet!" lol!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 5:07 PM

The problem I am facing now with a new Intel core due Mac is that few apps have been rewritten to take advantage of it. When they are, it is often a major release involving lots of $$$ every time to upgrade. 

Whast about pre-emptive software designed to work on systems well into the future ;-)

I am sure Intel is keen for as many apps as possible to make use of their cutting edge technology, so they should really be proactive in getting the app mods available to coincide with chip releases, not the current 18 month lag I experience at present...

Well, that's my 3.1415926 cents worth on this.

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 7:24 PM

funny...I was listening to the radio, and hearing about Vista's new security feature. If you don't register it in 30 days, it reduces your access to the Internet for an hour, then locks you out. Period.

80 cores..hmm. Imagine, who needs baseboard heating any more?..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Sans2012 ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 7:38 PM

Large power bills with the 6000 watt PS:)

I never intended to make art.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 7:54 PM

Well, like any 30 day trial program, it's gotta stop working at some point.

What I don't like....is the practice of not telling customers buying a new PC that the price of the OS is not included when they buy the desktop/laptop computer. 30 days go by, and they find out they need to spend an extra $150 that they didn't see coming. (which they will or their new PC won't even work)

Some customers are told, but many were not.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 8:34 PM

file_355777.jpg

AgentSmith's house in 5 years if wishes come true.

billy423uk ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 10:38 PM

of course thats summizing some new kind of chip or set up doesn't come along that works better.5 yrs is a long time in techi speak.....i'm pretty sure they only broke the news cos someone found out lol.  someone whos probably as we speak redoing all their maths to come up with a 100 core chip......lets not forget nano chips...if there is such a thing lol

billy

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 04 October 2006 at 11:45 PM

Cool...  But you could probably add some years past research for development so the thing is stable, then some more time for the actual production process.

It's not like they make one and it's out tomorrow.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 05 October 2006 at 7:00 AM

100 cores on a single chip? could double as a pizza warmer..;)  I think this is just 'brute force' computing. We'll see, predicting technology is like predicting the weather...the farther out you go, the fuzzier it gets..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.