Mon, Sep 9, 4:07 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / MarketPlace Showcase

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

MarketPlace Showcase F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 10:25 pm)

Welcome to the MarketPlace Showcase Forum. The Showcase Forum and Gallery are intended for all commercial related postings by active Renderosity MarketPlace Vendors only. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review in greater detail the various art products, software and resource site subscriptions available for purchase in the Renderosity MarketPlace.

Subject: OBJ2CR2 File Converter

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 2:20 PM · edited Sun, 11 August 2024 at 2:30 PM

Having seen so many forum posts asking, "How do I make my clothing model into a conforming figure?" I though it was about time I did something about it and make it easier for folks to do. The end result is a Python script that asks the user to load the figure, import the clothing OBJ file (or load the clothing prop), add a supplied template to the scene then click a "Create Conforming" button and the job is done. The clothing is now converted into a figure which can be conformed to the figure.

Not just a simple CR2 edit, this script automatically creates the required body part groups in the clothing. Wont matter if it already contained groups, wrong groups or no groups. The OBJ2CR2 file converter will group the model as required.

Required Poser skill level ..... very low.

Required knowledge of Python .... zero.

Full details are at :-
http://www.philc.net/OBJ2CR2_page1.htm

I hope folks find it useful.

PhilC

mrsparky ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 4:47 PM

Phil - you are an absolute life saver. This tool will be a god-send.  Thank you.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

Walt Sterdan ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 6:17 PM

Looks great! Any idea of if or when a Macintosh-compatible version might be available? -- Walt Sterdan

Xena ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 6:31 PM

Does it only add the actual groups contained within the obj, or does it add ghosts parts as well?

(for the less informed than Phil :) )
You'll find with cr2's that only contain the exact same groups as the obj will do strange things if they don't contain some ghost parts. I don't know if this holds true with very old figures like Posette and Dork, but on the newer millennium figures this is a pretty normal occurance.

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 6:33 PM

I feel the Mac glitch is just the way the files are being writen. There is an end of line feed that is being added and for the life of me I can not see where. I'm using the same file read/save code as my other scripts but for some reason this one is not playing ball. Its almost something so small I'm just not seeing it.

As soon as I find it, it will be Mac ready

PhilC ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 7:06 PM

I can probably best answer the Groups/Ghost Parts question by an example:

Apollo has a ghost part in his right arm called rPectoral. It contains no geometry. The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that.

If someone had made a clothing item for Apollo and had included a group "rPectoral". The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that.

If someone had made a clothing item for Apollo and not included any groups at all. The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that.

If someone had made a clothing item for Apollo and included a group, "I-have-no-idea-how-to-group-models-but-I-believe-PhilC's-OBJ2CR2-File-Converter-will-sort-it-out-regardles". The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that.

Some models include geometry in their ghost parts, often a small sphere, so that there is something for the user to click on. The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that also.

Is there some tortured combination that I've not thought of? ... possibly. Will the OBJ2CR2 File Converter be able to handle it? ... most likely, and if not I'm sure that I'll be able to come up with a solution. Except for a willy warmer, there you are on your own :)

Actually thinking about it even that if you ask me nicely for a template :)

....... No don't I'm kinda swamped at the moment filling orders.

Xena ( ) posted Sat, 30 September 2006 at 11:43 PM

Willy warmer LMAO

Thanks for the answer Phil :D

AprilYSH ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 12:22 AM

Hi Phil,

"Apollo has a ghost part in his right arm called rPectoral. It contains no geometry. The OBJ2CR2 File Converter would be able to handle that."

How would it handle that?  Would it include a ghost part in the resulting cr2?  If there was a bit of geom in the clothing encroaching in the space of the original figure's ghost part would it slice up that piece as the ghost part hence no longer being a "ghost" in the clothing?  Sometimes I would like it grouped off, sometimes I wouldn't... can we control that?

Looks great anyway, congrats on another neat utility :)

[ Store | Freebies | Profile ]

a sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantoness,
do more bewitch me than when art is too precise in every part

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 1:25 AM

In the above example the resulting Apollo clothing would include a body part "rPectoral" which would conform to and move with Apollo, (or allow you to move it independantly), but it would not contain any geometry. It would correctly perform its job of deforming the upperArm. You would be able to select it from a menu but there would be nothing to click on in the view.

Kalypso ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 3:40 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

This sounds great!  I'd like to know if there would still be a need for JP adjusting after the item has been made conforming.

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 3:49 AM · edited Sun, 01 October 2006 at 4:03 AM

There is no one "correct" set of joint parameters for any conforming clothing figure. The OBJ2CR2 converter will apply a very good set of parameters which will suit the majority of cases. Where adjustments are required these are generally going to be small. The OBJ2CR2 file set includes an on screen video tutorial explaining how Poser joint parameters work and clearly identifies and explains what these adjustments might be. Its very much a case of "Oh now that I've been shown what to do it's not as difficult as I thought".

It is the same video that is included with Wardrobe Wizard. The degree of required adjustment will be similar to that with Wardrobe Wizard.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 4:14 AM

What is the difference between this and the WW? If any.  Sharen

PhilC ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 4:54 AM

Wardrobe Wizard will convert conforming clothing from one supported figure to another, or to a morphed version of that figure. It can also convert a dynamic cloth prop between supported figures or to a morphed version of that figure. It will apply limited regrouping, for example splitting thighs into buttocks and thighs. It can not take a non-grouped or incorrectly grouped OBJ file and make it into a conforming clothing figure.

The OBJ2CR2 File Converter does not change the shape of the model. It will correctly group the model irrespective of what groups are in or absent from the original OBJ file or prop.

Making a correctly grouped OBJ file into conforming clothing is easy. You basically edit an existing CR2 file to point to your OBJ file. The tricky or time consuming part is defining and naming the groups. The OBJ2CR2 File Converter does this quickly and simply and then applies it to a CR2 file.

Required Poser skill level:- Beginner

Required Python knowledge:- None

The OBJ2CR2 File Converter is not essential, it is a time saving convenience that can be used by a novice.

Kalypso ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 11:42 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks Phil, that's all I wanted to know :)  whips out CC and heads for the store :)

Btw, I recently suffered a double HD failure and have been trying to recover a lot of lost products.  Can I send you details of my orders for WW and Poser Tool Box to get another download?

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 1:41 PM

This looks great. Thanks Phil, I've downloaded mine:)

Ok, I'm ready for OptiTex.

nakamuram ( ) posted Sun, 01 October 2006 at 3:02 PM

Works great!!  I just converted some Dynamic Clothing to Conforming.

pokeydots ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 8:39 AM

file_355571.jpg

Here is a dress and "ShoeSocks"  I converted for Lina and it worked great :biggrin:

Poser 9 SR3  and 8 sr3
=================
Processor Type:  AMD Phenom II 830 Quad-Core
2.80GHz, 4000MHz System Bus, 2MB L2 Cache + 6MB Shared L3 Cache
Hard Drive Size:  1TB
Processor - Clock Speed:  2.8 GHz
Operating System:  Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 
Graphics Type:  ATI Radeon HD 4200
•ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics 
System Ram:  8GB 

Walt Sterdan ( ) posted Mon, 02 October 2006 at 6:29 PM

Quote - Here is a dress and "ShoeSocks"  I converted for Lina and it worked great :biggrin:

Nice job! I'll be grabbing the utility as soon as it's working on the Mac. -- Walt Sterdan

Andi3d ( ) posted Tue, 03 October 2006 at 3:45 PM

Sir, you are a genius.  bow

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

usslopez ( ) posted Thu, 05 October 2006 at 5:02 PM

OMG.. Ditto... you are a genius and so are your products!  Thanks. 

My RMP Store ; My Free Stuff

4blueyes ( ) posted Fri, 06 October 2006 at 9:02 AM

AWESOME!!! now where is the end of the queue? ... Michal

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.