Thu, Sep 19, 4:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:15 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Renderosity likes to crash my browser. What to do?

chimera46 ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 11:27 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:11 PM

Something i've been noticing since the round of "improvements" in June is that rendo like to freeze up, pulling my browser and everything else i'm browsing down with it. For instance, i've just reset my gallery and forum CSS to fix that "black text bug" caused by the latest "improvements", it took FOUR attempts to do so, my browser crashing when I would open several renderosity windows. This tends to happen more often when trying to load up forums pages or homepages. Usually there is a couple seconds where my browser freezes and comes back to life when loading up a page, if too many tabs are open however the whole thing stays locked up. When I say "several" tabs/window I mean 4-5 renderosity tabs. Also, I use Mozilla Firefox v1.0.7.

Am I the only one this is happening to? Is there anything I should be doing settings wise to prevent this (aside from going one window at a time, since the slowness of this site makes that unbearable).

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 2:00 PM · edited Mon, 16 October 2006 at 2:03 PM

What to do?

What I would do is:

Unsubscribe from the "Browser Of The Week"club,and use as stable browser instead.

Tom <~~ been using IE since 1995 with not one  problem.

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

williamsn ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:17 PM

chimera46, FireFox is a great browser! However, version 1.0.7 is very old. Several security patches (for your safety) and stability updates (that prevent lockups like you're seeing on 'Rosity) have been released since that version. I would recommend upgrading from FireFox v1.0.7 to the most recent version, FireFox v1.5.0.7. That should solve most, if not all, of your problems 😄 Hope that helps, N

-Nicholas

chimera46 ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Thanks Williamsn, i'll give that a shot. As for hawkfyr, two years ago I gave up on IE because of the security spyare issues i've had with it. Also, tabs are awesome. If you haven't had a problem in 11 years with it you're quite lucky, magic horseshoes up the ass lucky...

The strong do as they can while the weak do as they must.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 5:43 PM

I love IE as well.. That is all I have ever used and never had a problem with it. I guess everyone is different which is a good thing:)

Hope this gets you all fixed up chimera

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 16 October 2006 at 7:05 PM

I suppose I've been lucky, I also watch where I go too,which I'm sure helps as well.

BTW.IE 7 has tabbed browsing which is why I stay with Version 6

I can not stand tabbed browsing.

I Hope the upgrade  Nicholas mentioned helps.

Best of luck,

Tom.

Mahray ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 5:24 AM

Mahray uses his mouse gestures to navigate through the multiple tabs at blazing speed, staring blankly at Tom

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 7:28 AM

hawkfyr said:

Quote - Unsubscribe from the "Browser Of The Week"club,and use as stable browser instead.

Hear, hear. 😄

hawkfyr said:

Quote - I suppose I've been lucky, I also watch where I go too,which I'm sure helps as well. BTW.IE 7 has tabbed browsing which is why I stay with Version 6 I can not stand tabbed browsing.

Paying attention to where you go and what you click while browsing is very much the best thing to do, no matter what your interface.

It seems to me that there's supposed to be an option in IE7 to stay with single windows, which I prefer in most cases, too. I'm probably going to take the plunge to IE7 here soon (gonna get Vista next year, too, whee!) and if it's a misbehaving little monkey I'll pass it along. 😄

Captain Jack

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 10:10 AM

Yeah...there is a way to turn off tabbed brewing in IE 7 but there were some other "features" that were still a bit buggy so I went back to IE 6.

For the most part,I open browser windows in new windows rather than tabs, and drag them to my other monitors. It's not a speed thing so much as it is the ability to place different versions of a web page side by side on separate monitors when building sites.

"and if it's a misbehaving little monkey I'll pass it along"

90% or the computers I fix are due to folks going where they should not go and picking up payloads. (Virus/spy-ware).

Especially clients with kids.They will fall for every trick in the book and download every toolbar, game, screensaver, or any other lure to get them to download the spy-ware.

It's not the Browser...but rather the loose nut above the keyboard that causes the instability.

Tom

thefixer ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 10:15 AM

I'm on IE7 now too and while the tabbed browsing got me initially, I really like it now!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 11:35 AM

Quote - As for hawkfyr [...]If you haven't had a problem in 11 years with it you're quite lucky, magic horseshoes up the ass lucky...

Tom shuffles into the room, accompanied by a faint clanking noise
"Whaddaya mean, lucky?"

Haha... sorry that just tickled my funny bone!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 17 October 2006 at 11:41 AM · edited Tue, 17 October 2006 at 11:44 AM

Clanking noise?...Damn...I thought nobody else could hear that.

Looks like it's time for another horseshoe adjustment.

8 )~

I've been looking into those new horseshoe suppository's.

I hear they are much more comfortable.

Tom

Sarissi ( ) posted Sun, 29 October 2006 at 9:26 AM

I get browser lockups with Mozilla Suite 1.7.13, but not with Firefox 2 (using it right now). The lockups only occur here at renderosity. In Win98SE, it locks up the entire OS, requiring a Cold reboot (reset button). 98SE is on my secondary computer.

pearce ( ) posted Wed, 01 November 2006 at 5:29 AM

Never ever had any problems at all here with Firefox, either under Win98SE or (as now) XP with FF v2.0.

Guess I must have even more of those horseshoes than Tom :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.