Mon, Sep 23, 12:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Challenge (Make an insect)

Kixum ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 10:58 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 12:20 AM

Well on my way home from work, I was trying to think up a challenge that could actually be accomplished in 15 minutes. I think this may actually take a half an hour but I don't know. The challenge is to make an insect/bug. I suspect this should be reasonably straightforward as the legs could all be the same and the wings (if you put any in) and three balls for the body parts. The head could be simple enough so I think you could pull this off in a half an hour. All that said, I'll give it a whirl and see what I get. Happy crawling.

-Kix

Kixum ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 2:38 AM

file_165886.jpg

Here's my bug. Now that we're having a plane theme, I parked him on the nose piece.

-Kix

AzChip ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 1:43 PM

file_165887.jpg

Here's mine -- an inchworm. He looks a little worried, doesn't he? He's just spheres with the Spike deformer applied with full gravity. The eyes are the same basic shader that I've used before, except I nested a pupil inside the iris.

twillis ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 1:58 PM

These bugs are seriously cool.

geek ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 3:31 PM

file_165888.jpg

Here's my one, hope you like it geek

litst ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 3:10 PM

file_165889.jpg

What kind of bug is it ? I have no idea, but i'm sure it's not a spider, not a dog, not a car tire, not a video tape ... Done with the spline modeller in less than half an hour . litst

rockjockjared ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 7:15 PM

Cool bugs everybody!!! Hey AzChip, did you use a particle emitter for the body? Very cool! Jared

Izuel ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 8:28 PM

beetle.jpg Heres my little bugger He doesnt have legs but i got stuff to do so ill go ahead post him now.

twillis ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 8:57 PM

file_165890.jpg

The spline plane crashed and burned, so I decided to try the insect instead.

twillis ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 9:01 PM

Ooh, BTW, Izuel, the shell pattern on your beetle is purty.

EliteGoliath ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 9:44 PM

Yea, Izuel, like your beetle. Reminds me of something from the Mummy or Riven!

AzChip ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 12:12 PM

I love all this stuff -- very cool to see everyone's take on the topic. Love Terri's power-lounging ant. It's amazing how a simple model can convey a huge amount of character.... Jared - no, it's not a particle emitter (as far as I know, RDS doesn't have such a thing aside from the fountain primitive). It's a deformer called spike. I thought it looked like those rubber Koosh balls.

twillis ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 12:28 PM

Chip, I had no idea deformers could do stuff like that. Do you know any other deformer tricks? How would you feel about coming up with some challenges to help us get more familiar with the ins-and-outs of the deformer tools? Yeah, I'm being demanding again. Just try and stop me. --Terri

twillis ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 12:33 PM

Hey, Izuel, I forgot to ask how you did the background on your beetle pic. It's pretty cool. --Terri

AzChip ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 1:51 PM

Oops! I hadn't read your request for deformer challenges.... Uh, missed that, but you can use a deformer in your gambling challenge.... Check out the post....

Izuel ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 3:29 PM

ok, about my beetle, his body is all vertex models and the antenea are splines with a bend modifier. The background is a shader I made same with the beetle's shell. No texture maps.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.