Sun, Oct 6, 12:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Caustics

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 7:30 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 12:21 PM

Now I haven't read any of the documentation, including the new features list, but.....

Agents Smiths marbles picture seems to have caustics.    Can this be true, or does it just look like caustics and it's actually just refraction?

Marbles

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 7:42 AM

looks like them, but you know AS he may have faked 'em...

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

staigermanus ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 8:54 AM · edited Thu, 19 October 2006 at 8:55 AM

Quote - Now I haven't read any of the documentation, including the new features list, but.....

Agents Smiths marbles picture seems to have caustics.    Can this be true, or does it just look like caustics and it's actually just refraction?

how could it be refraction? what is 'just refraction'? the spherical distortion you see through the glass marbles, yes, that's refraction, but the brightening spot nearby under those same spheres, I don't think that's possible other than through some form of caustics, faked or precise, or through some post work (easy enough in a case like this to lighten up an elliptical shape).

drawbridgep ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 9:24 AM

You know, there are more polite ways of calling someone stupid.  There was no reason for your first two questions in order to get your point across.   The rest of your post covered the point more than adequately.

"Caustics - The enveloping surface formed by light rays reflecting or refracting from a curved surface, especially one with spherical aberration."

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 9:35 AM

Maybe that is being caused by the HDRI?
Haven't had any time to use those yet. Look forward to experimenting with them, and B6 in general.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

Flak ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 9:47 AM · edited Thu, 19 October 2006 at 9:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.3d-digital-wasteland.com/g1/library3.jpg

Bryce's ability to do that has been there for a while. That link above goes to a pic I did about 4 years ago - you can see the brightening behind the glass sphere she's holding, and behind the glass and bottle on the table - those lit areas are straight render and not postwork.

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

pauljs75 ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 4:19 PM

Seems to work with light passing through transparent objects ok, but does it reflect light from reflective objects? I know having a mirror able to reflect light is one of those things earlier Bryce versions have not been able to do. If they fix that, I'd suppose that's a big step.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 19 October 2006 at 4:33 PM

Not caustics, and nothing faked. It was is a straight render, then in Photoshop;

-Used Bryce distance render to put in a dof (gaussian) blur of 4 pixels in the background, 25% sharpen in the foreground.
-Adjusted the images levels; increased the white & black levels.
-A little grain.

Sometimes...you can get a very slight caustic looking effect, but it is only the light/shadow that passes through the sphere, and since the shadows are soft, it kinda/sorta/sometimes looks something like a caustic.

Sorta like this B5.5 render; Bryce Blues

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Erlik ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 12:24 AM

Bryce, as far as I know, has caustics, but only those resulting from light passing through a refractive body. What Bryce lacks is the reflective caustics, like you'd get on ceilings from the light reflecting from a pool.

-- erlik

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 12:00 PM

Unless bryce 6 has photonic render pass it's no caustics.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 12:29 PM

I just thought it was something to do with peroxides, acids, or bases..but there's a lot of chemicals around here..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 20 October 2006 at 2:01 PM

Lol....ouch, I got that pakled...painful, but I got it, lol.....;o)

scotttucker3d ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 3:47 AM

Yep Bryce has always had refractive caustics - just crank up the refraction on a glass object and watch them pop. Erlik is spot on - it is the reflective caustics that it doesn't have and those are the kind that take special sampling algorithms beyond standard ray tracing. Vue has the same kind as Bryce - I think I even have old Bryce 1 renders somewhere that show these little caustics. I also think the HDRI is making them a little more prominent since it is such a refined quality of light.

fpfrdn3 ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 4:02 AM · edited Sat, 21 October 2006 at 4:03 AM

I remember some ocean or water simulated caustics that Bryce can use. They did look convincing, and I think you can find some MATs here and there for that. It would take photon mapping/area sampleing, I think for true caustics. Does look awesome though. Maybe future versions.

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 10:42 AM

fpfrdn3, there was a program out there for free that renders caustic 2d texture maps for water. I forgot the name but i think it was something like caustics generator, or something similar to that. It's really a pretty effective tool, though it does limit to a very specific effect.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

electroglyph ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 1:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

Rayraz,

This is the one.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 1:08 PM

Quote - Sometimes...you can get a very slight caustic looking effect, but it is only the light/shadow that passes through the sphere, and since the shadows are soft, it kinda/sorta/sometimes looks something like a caustic. Sorta like this B5.5 render; Bryce Blues

Hey AS, it would be interesting to know what - if any - difference Bryce6 makes to the render of that same scene.

Both a basic one (for timings) and one using HDRI - just to see what difference that makes to the look of it.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 21 October 2006 at 1:31 PM

I can try that out. That was a long scene to render in the first place, tons of transparency, reflection, refractions, soft shadows.

I can experiment later tonight when I get back home. ;o)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.