Fri, Sep 20, 4:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 4:32 pm)

Subject: Really Seriously Important P7 Question...

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 9:08 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 4:45 PM

file_357353.jpg

Will it run on this :)

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

thefixer ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 9:27 AM

LOL, where the hell did you find that???

My first was something called an Acorn Electron, can't remember much about it now though!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

RedHawk ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 9:30 AM

Yeah. You can order it either on 1,247 casettes or 718 floppies.......

<-insert words of wisdom here->

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 9:51 AM

"LOL, where the hell did you find that???"

On my front room floor yesterday afternoon :) Bizzarelly, my girlfriend bought it home yesterday - complete in the original boxes. 5in Floppy drive the lot. 

Kinda wierd when shrinking the photo to fit the thread  - bitmap shrinker warned me it would use 14mb to resize the photo, and that thing has 64k for the OS and to run games!     

artbyphil ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 10:23 AM

I've still got an old rubber keyed 48k ZX spectrum boxed up in the loft somewhere.  I thought it was brill at the time  it was amazing what they did with 48 K though:)

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 3:27 PM

I still have the Zinclair 1000...!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 3:34 PM

Where's the monitor?  It has been a loooong time since I worked with a C64, so it may work with a regular TV or something, but it's been a looong time. ;)  We're talking nearly twenty years.

What was the capacity of the old 5-1/4" floppies?  It was 165KB.  That would be 6000+ floppies for a 1GB Poser install! :L  I suggest hiring help to preserve both your sanity and hands in the process...

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 4:13 PM

Quote - ... so it may work with a regular TV or something.

Correct.

Quote - What was the capacity of the old 5-1/4" floppies?  It was 165KB.

IIRC, 360Kb (double sided, double density).

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 4:21 PM

Hmmm.  Okay, so only 3000+ floppies. ;D

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

adh3d ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 5:09 PM

I have my first computer yet  , the anstrad 464 wit casette unit.

adh3d website

mrsparky ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 6:46 PM

So how many tapes will it need :)

Seriously. I didn't say it in the first post, but I posted this as a jokey thread to combat the many threads bemoaning P7. All without even seeing what we'll be getting and giving it a fair chance.

It's like asking a divorce lawyer what to say the night before you married. :)

For example, this time around the makers of Poser have offered many merchants and artists the chance to include content, and I for are damm proud of that opportunity. Thats kinda like getting your work as the sample track in Media Player.  Loads of people may not use it,.but they'll see it.

So put your Lennon glasses on and sing "Give EF a chance" :) 

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 7:28 PM

Quote - So how many tapes will it need :)

I guestimate 870 C120s (about 72 days playing time) :bored: 🤤 :lol: > Quote - Seriously. I didn't say it in the first post, but I posted this as a jokey thread to combat the many threads bemoaning P7. All without even seeing what we'll be getting and giving it a fair chance.

All the P7 have at least some entertainment value (and occaisionally offer up some information, think interference patterns). > Quote - For example, this time around the makers of Poser have offered many merchants and artists the chance to include content, and I for are damn proud of that opportunity.

Excellent news.

panko ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 8:29 PM

Quote - Will it run on this :)

But of course it will! ................................................. Question is: will it also run on a PC????
😕

Panos

"That's another fine mess you got me in to!" -- Oliver Hardy

tekn0m0nk ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 11:46 PM

file_357426.gif

And your renders will look like this

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Sun, 22 October 2006 at 11:59 PM
tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 1:46 AM

actually these are not necessarily bad images.....  I mean in an 8bit world....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 8:43 AM

This thread has lightened up a boring Monday afternoon!

I used to have a ZX Spectrum 128k & I thought it was s**t hot then. How times have changed, the difference between that & my XBox 360 is just incredible!

Do you all remember the loading screens with the coloured bars moving up & down the screen while making horrible screeching sounds, oh, how we were mesmerized by it all!

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 9:11 AM

I still get misty when I remember Windows 3.11.  For me, that was the best Windows ever.  It was simple, it was fairly stable, it had a fax program, and Card File could dial my numbers automatically.
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 9:46 AM

I remember this "Tank" game on my old Electron, blocks for buildings and blocks for the tanks with tracks that  were rectangular blocks [lol]. It was head to head, tank versus tank and they "fired" smaller blocks at each other and a hit resulted in a "blowing apart" of the tank blocks, cool!!

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 9:56 AM

file_357457.jpg

"while making horrible screeching sounds" As I type the other 1/2 is playing Bounty Bob - and it's worse than any mobile ring tone :)

"And your renders will look like this"
or like the inset :)

Actually that last bit has a ring of truth to it. :)

When the VP guys where asked for a contribution to P7, obviously a spacecraft would have to be included. So I figured it would be a fun touch to base design on an old Atari ST sketch I'd found while backing up old CD's 

Back then using Degas Elite (and a whole 16 colours) if anyone had said to me "in 20 years time someone will make this in 3d and it could be seen by millions of artists" I'd have phoned the men in white coats!!!

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:06 AM

I had a whatchacallit... a VIC-20. No tape drive, no printer, no back up, hook it up straight to the TV. Had to re-write any code from my own chicken-scratches on a piece of torn notebook paper every time I powered it off. It was something like 20 characters by 20 lines of text, "beep-boop" sound efects, maybe half a dozen colors, if that. I tried like mad to program it to play games like "Trek" and "SpaceWar", and I even worked on a simple-minded Q-Bert kind of thing, trying to fit everything into something like 5K of RAM.

Man, I loved that thing! I'm sure it would drive me mad today, but I had such a ball with that toy... ah, the good ol' days. 😄

Captain Jack

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:25 AM

Do you guys remember when the first games magazines came out and the "game" was about 20 pages give or take a few of code that you had to type in yourself [roflmao], get a dot or comma wrong and it didn't work after days of putting all this shit in!!!

And that other thing called "Himem" and memory managers and stuff, what a laugh that was, should have put you off computers for life!!!  [lol].

Jevans69, check your site mail!!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:40 AM

"Do you guys remember when the first games magazines came out and the "game" was about 20 pages give or take a few of code that you had to type in yourself [roflmao], get a dot or comma wrong and it didn't work after days of putting all this shit in!!!"

thefixer - LOL!! I remember it only too well. Man, we were dedicated people in those days, or mad! You try telling the kids of today this & they won't believe you.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:50 AM · edited Mon, 23 October 2006 at 10:51 AM

file_357460.jpg

I just had to post these screen shots of games from the old ZX Spectrum I've just found on the net. The first is the trench run from a Star Wars game & the second from a footie manager game. Who needs EA Sports' FIFA 2007?!!!

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 11:47 AM

Is that the footy game where their entire bodies go into like an X shape when they score??

I remember that, kept me amused for hours in the early days [roflmao].

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 3:31 PM

It has one tape for game. You can use normal tapes to record your program, the OS was basic and you can program in it. It has 64K ram.

adh3d website

MartinW ( ) posted Mon, 23 October 2006 at 3:56 PM

FWIW I did my A Level on a ZX Spectrum 48K back in 1986 - and no one believes the kind of programming I did - machine code!

Also, Elite on the Spectrum is the only game I ever beat. Your rating was based on how many kills you had? Well, I used to play it so much, flyiing into anarchy worlds and witch space, that I over-shot it's counter and went beyond Elite. And all this only on a keyboard!

Ah, the old days...

adh3d ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 6:33 AM

Yes, I remember many games, there was many, for example match day and match day II.

Well, I think E-frontier could tell us the famous reasons quicker. I don't understand this way of marketing.

adh3d website

Spanki ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 11:31 AM

Quote - I had a whatchacallit... a VIC-20. No tape drive, no printer, no back up, hook it up straight to the TV. Had to re-write any code from my own chicken-scratches on a piece of torn notebook paper every time I powered it off. It was something like 20 characters by 20 lines of text, "beep-boop" sound efects, maybe half a dozen colors, if that. I tried like mad to program it to play games like "Trek" and "SpaceWar", and I even worked on a simple-minded Q-Bert kind of thing, trying to fit everything into something like 5K of RAM.

Man, I loved that thing! I'm sure it would drive me mad today, but I had such a ball with that toy... ah, the good ol' days. 😄

Captain Jack

Wow - that's hard-core, man (or seriously de-ranged).  At least I had the cassette unit for my Vic-20, so I could save (after a fashion) those typed in machine-code and BASIC snippets from the early mags.

I do remember being pretty excited when the C64 came out - the things I was going to do with 59k more ram.... nice!  So I bundled up everything I'd accumulated for the Vic-20 (including a 300 baud modem!) and sold the thing on campus for $300.00 (!!).

Of course things didn't really get exciting until the Amiga 1000 came out (in '84 ?).  It came with a whole 512k (I think) of memory and I eventually had the thing up around 8mb! with some internal expansion and a couple of 2mb jobs daisy-chained to the external expansion port.  I also managed to score a 20mb HD (that rocked!) from Supra Corp. - who wanted to include my "Access!" terminal program with thier new 2400 baud modems (I got one of those too :) ).

Ahh.. those were the days...

Cinema4D Plugins (Home of Riptide, Riptide Pro, Undertow, Morph Mill, KyamaSlide and I/Ogre plugins) Poser products Freelance Modelling, Poser Rigging, UV-mapping work for hire.

raven ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 3:04 PM

Attached Link: For the spectrum fans...

Although i was a CBM guy (it was the 64 that got me into cg!), there were some good games on the Spectrum. I loved Knightlore, especially the change from man to werewolf!

Anyway, for the diehard Spectrum fans, a link to some online Spectrum fun (uses Java)  :)

Byrdie ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 9:03 PM

Reason #3 just hit my mailbox: MULTIPLE UNDO!

100 levels! YIPPEEE!!!!

Quote:

Give your creativity and productivity a boost with Multiple Undo and Redo in Poser 7. Freely explore poses, morph target changes, and body transformations without worrying about making mistakes or having to save multiple versions of your project at every new turn. In Poser 7, you can return to earlier poses and designs, and can step back and forth through up to 100 recent changes within your scene! Even steps you couldn’t previously back out are now undoable. Multiple Undo and Redo is an incredible timesaver that can be applied on a wide range of your document changes, including all actions from the Poser library, applying poses, or deleting figures and props from your scenes.

To me, that alone is worth the upgrade. :-)

Btw, did someone mention spaceships?

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Tue, 24 October 2006 at 11:47 PM

Quote - Reason #3 just hit my mailbox: MULTIPLE UNDO!

100 levels! YIPPEEE!!!!

Quote:

Give your creativity and productivity a boost with Multiple Undo and Redo in Poser 7. Freely explore poses, morph target changes, and body transformations without worrying about making mistakes or having to save multiple versions of your project at every new turn. In Poser 7, you can return to earlier poses and designs, and can step back and forth through up to 100 recent changes within your scene! Even steps you couldn’t previously back out are now undoable. Multiple Undo and Redo is an incredible timesaver that can be applied on a wide range of your document changes, including all actions from the Poser library, applying poses, or deleting figures and props from your scenes.

To me, that alone is worth the upgrade. :-)

Btw, did someone mention spaceships?

That is excellent news. My main concern is the rendering engine. It is almost impossible to do a scene in P6 with 2 figures and any detail without a memory error, yet I can have 3-5  times the detail and up to 6 figures in less time in carrara, guess we'll see.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 7:52 AM

Wow!  What a turn around.

Remember that someone (who shall remain nameless) stated that adding multiple undos to Poser was impossible without a complete rewrite of the code.  So much for predictions. ;)

Also note that you can ADD new cameras!

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 8:00 AM

$129 for 100 undo/redo.  Ho hum.  Still waiting for the closing deal.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 8:13 AM

Quote - $129 for 100 undo/redo.  Ho hum.  Still waiting for the closing deal.

Heck, I woulda paid that much last night to get out of the make-a-change-do-a-save-wait-ten-minutes-do-a-render-wait-twenty-minutes cycle. I think I made a grand total of five changes to my scene last night (I'm tweaking the lighting). If they've done something that will speed up that process, I'll hop on a fast pony, ride hard, and put my check directly in their sweaty little hands. 😄

Captain Jack

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 8:51 AM

Quote - $129 for 100 undo/redo.  Ho hum.  Still waiting for the closing deal.

Hmmm.  I wouldn't be so glib about it.  For some reason, people are acting as it they just added a variable and, voila!, there were 100 undos available.  From my discussions, adding multiple undo support to the Poser codebase is an undertaking of immense proportions (rewrite the code from the ground up type thing).  It's not a ho hum - it's a "Wow, they actually sat down and figured a way to do it despite the insurmountable problems invovled".

Sorry, as a developer, I find "user's" ignorance of the complexity of the process to be insulting sometimes.  Simply adding a button can involve an hour's or a year's work (variables, GUI, settings, checks, the actual functionality - which could be as simple as one function or as complex as 'determine the chaotic state of the universe over the past billion years considering the quantum state flux of every particle within that relativistic time frame').  A button, ho hum...  Consider the possible work that goes on behind that button...

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 9:00 AM

Quote - ... Sorry, as a developer,  ...

I had a customer once who asked for a feature to be added to his software. He was able to express the request in a simple sentence of about five words. When I tried to explain to him what would be involved (to start with, we didn't even have the source code for that app!) he interrupted me and said, "No, you don't understand. All I want is..." and repeated his simple query. I started in again, and he complained, "You're not listening!"

We who live by the compiler are in a different world, and that's a fact. 😄

Captain Jack

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Wed, 25 October 2006 at 4:08 PM

For $129 I'll wait and see what else they threw in.   e-Frontier is know for selling apps for much cheaper after pre-orders have been filled.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 26 October 2006 at 4:48 PM

I co-owned (with my younger  brother) an Apple II with 16 K of addressable memory, fixed-point basic, four-color "high-res" or 16 color (low-res) graphics, using a Radio-shack cassette recorder for secondary storage, a pixiverter to connect to channel 3 or 4 on a TV (later pixie-verters connected in the UHF band to avoid interfering with neighbors), and two paddles for gaming action. The serial number was in the three hundreds. It was sufficiently early in the production run that they hadn't started putting the "shark-gill" vents on the case, so it tended to build up heat -- when it did one of the ICs in the motherboard would pop up, and something strange would happen to the programs. (Two of the letters were replaced -- I think p became h, and m became v). This happened with distressing frequency. My brother eventually bought a joystick for it (the one that looked like an apple), more memory, a floppy drive, and a 9" monitor. Then it caught on fire and the motherboard melted.

jwiest ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 3:39 PM

Miner 2049er!!!

Man...I loved that game and so many others on my old Atari 800XL.  Great stuff that you just can't get today unless you find a hacked version or something on the net.  Though I did just cough up $6.00 for the mobile edtion of Boulder Dash. :D

Now to find M.U.L.E. & Lode Runner again.

John

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 3:50 PM

file_357805.jpg

Okay, the list of geeks is being enumerated for governmenal monitoring. LOL! :)

My first boyfriend was a geek extra-ordinaire.  He dumpster-dived for old computer hardware.  He also had several old arcade machines - like PacMan.  I find the old games soothing, but not something to persue.  At one time I was a Tetrix junky, but that has long passed.  Also loved Diablo - actually, the online version was quite hysterical with the hacks.  The artwork commemorating these is quite hilariously (as an inside joke).  It was always funny (if not sad) to set invisibility and go whack a newbie with good equipment and steal it for yourself or for sale. :)

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

bopperthijs ( ) posted Fri, 27 October 2006 at 5:10 PM

The first contact I had with computers was a huge mainframe which they have on the polytechnical school I studied (1976). You had to type in your programs on a terminal ( in basic!) which had no monitor, but looked like a kind of typewriter, a day later you could get your results if you were lucky enough, if you've made a mistake you had to type your program all over again. The mighty machine was in the basement of the school and had the size of a whole classroom. Six years later I bought my first SInclair ZX-spectrum with 48k Memory and 4MHz processor. This computer did the same programs I made on school within 5 minutes ( the ZX did have shortkeys  for all the basic commando's) I've had many computers after that first one (I actually bought three ZX-spectrums, they were a little bit fragile) but there's some things I've learned:
    -Don't be surprised! (in the good or bad way)
    -Never expect anything!
    -It will always be better!
    -It will always get worse!
    -It will never stop!
    -Don't buy more than you can afford!
    -Get some sleep!

Although I know I'm still violating my own rules, 25 years ago it was the ZX-spectrum which keep me awake untill five in the morning, nowadays it's Poser or Vue or Rhino or just strolling the Internet ( not so often but it happens) Hardware is less important than software today. Sir Sinclair lost the ratrace for the best computer but he has made a cheap computer (Poser7 is more expensive than the  ZX-spectrum) which made millions of people enthousiast.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.