Sun, Oct 6, 9:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro???

meltz ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:28 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:50 AM

Which one is better for making textures and making your renders abiit better looking? I plan on buying one but dont know which one to buy.

Any thoughts???

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:35 PM

Well ONE difference is about the price ... PSP is $100.- and PShop  $600 at least...

so when money is no problem Go get PhotoShop... 

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

meltz ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:41 PM

ok cool, so photoshop is better then? Money isent a problem as a friend of mine just ran into alot of cash and said he would buy me one thing, anything under 1000 that i want lol

I just wanted to know which one is better

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 5:45 PM

Well thats COOL cant you friend run me into so cash too :} i whould like Lightwave 9 thats under 1000 aswell :}

Chris

The biggest friend of your friend ;}

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 7:33 PM

Hey!    my wallet is missing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 8:29 PM

Many people think Photoshop is better.

But PSP will do about 90% of what Photoshop can do, and PSP is cheaper to buy, has a smaller learning curve to learn.

Maybe ask her what your limit is and maybe you can get PSP and another program of something else?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 8:44 PM

I have, and use both. In my opinion, the only advantage PhotoShop has over PSP is that there is a huge amount of support for it by many very talented merchants here (brushes, actions etcetera). And there is very little for PSP.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 9:07 PM

There are some things I do in PSP and some things I do in PS CS2.  I have to admit all of my skin textures are done in PS CS2 but I do garment textures in PSP a lot of the time.  So, if you have a friend who'll buy you PS CS2, do that and save for PSP,

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 03 November 2006 at 9:09 PM

Attached Link: http://www.thegimp.org

or try this...still free...can be configured to work like Photoshop.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 2:29 AM

I still use PS7, I would love to get CS2 but the cost is way out of my league, never tried PSP so I'm biased anyway!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

meltz ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 4:06 PM

Is Photoshop really hard to learn to use? One reason i am intereste din it is all the cool brushes and such. I dont know if PaintShop has brushes and such like PS does, does it?

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 4:32 PM

Quote - Is Photoshop really hard to learn to use? One reason i am intereste din it is all the cool brushes and such. I dont know if PaintShop has brushes and such like PS does, does it?

PSP has brushes, and you can convert Photoshop brushes to PSP using the "ABR Viewer" which is free online.  It changes the Photoshop Brush to a .png file, then you need to change it to .pspimage file and then you can create a brush from it. It's a bit tedious having to do it one brush at a time, but it's possible.

As for Photoshop. The interface and some of the tools are vastly different than PSP.  I have Photoshop and am trying to learn how to use it and I'm totally lost with it even though I've been using PSP for almost 7 years. I find that I can't do much of anything in Photoshop because it's so different than using PSP. 

I asked in the Photoshop forum and was given this link:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/photoshoptutorialsbasic/

There is also a link to a free 8 week online course, which I've enrolled in.  So far I've only done week 1 which is the interface, but it's helped.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/c/ec/1.htm

It's mainly about personal preference.  The reason I am trying to learn Photoshop is because I really love PSP v7.04, but I also like some things about PSP v8.1,  but the 2 versions can't share all files so I find myself with 2 versions of the same program and duplicate files for each version. Instead of "enhancing" and "adding" to a program, Corel chooses to change, delete and remove features/functions etc.  Which is why I find myself with 2 versions of the same program. PSP 7.04 can do things that v8.1 can't and vice versa. 

So I'm hoping that I can learn Photoshop and get back to having only one 2D graphic program on my hard drive. 

I'm having a hard time trying to learn Photoshop because I'm so used to PSP and I don't like change.  But if you haven't used a graphic program, you have nothing to compare it to so you will probably have an easier time adjusting than I am.

It's basically a matter of personal preference really.  It is good that you are researching the different programs before investing.

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 9:37 PM

I use PSP 8.1 and PS CS2. (I own PSP10, but ended up uninstalling it because I love PSP 8.1. For me, it's a near perfect program. )

That hardest thing, for me, in learning PS was that I already knew PSP. I kept trying to do stuff the same way in both. And you need to tweak your thinking a little bit between the two.  I would think it's easier to learn PS if you don't already have PSP. No little tricks to unlearn :)

I think that which program you select is based on what you intend to do with it. My "arty stuff" (textures, frames, backgrounds) are all done is PSP. And my postwork is done almost exclusively in PS.

Melz, if your friend is willing to buy it for you, I'd say get PhotoShop CS because it's more expensive program. And the market support for it is incredible (plus tons of free stuff). You can pick up PSP fairly cheaply on your own later. 

I think Amazon has the best prices.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sw/104-5878497-1819966?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=photoshop&Go.x=9&Go.y=14

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_sw/104-5878497-1819966?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=paintshop&Go.x=11&Go.y=9

Oh, and congratulations on having such a nice friend:) It must have been a very pleasant surprise to find out he was going to give you such a nice treat!

Anniebel ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 10:50 PM

I use PSP9 & Photoshop CS2, & to be honest I much prefer PS9 as I still find most things easier to do in PSP.

I haven't found anything yet that Photoshop can do, that PSP9 can't.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

R_Hatch ( ) posted Sat, 04 November 2006 at 11:11 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are (some of) the things PSP 8.1 can't do that 7.04 can? I prefer using PSP8.1 myself, and use Photoshop CS at work.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 12:22 AM

file_358592.jpg

> Quote - Just out of curiosity, what are (some of) the things PSP 8.1 can't do that 7.04 can? I prefer using PSP8.1 myself, and use Photoshop CS at work.

Well, it's not so much "can't do", it's really a matter of not being able to achieve the same effect in v8.1 due to changes in the method of doing some things. A good example is "masks".

In PSP v7.04 application of a mask was a no brainer.  Create a new layer, apply the mask, flood fill, delete the mask.   With PSP v8.1 came changes in how you apply a mask, and because of that I've noticed that some of my favourite effects done with masks cannot be achieved in PSP v8.1 and above because of the way masks are applied.  I can get "similar" or "close", but the effect itself is not the same.

There are others, but the mask is the most prominent change.

You can see what I mean in the above example.  It's the exact same effect applied in both versions. You can see the one in v8.1 is more opaque and fuzzy than the v7.04 one which is how the effect is supposed to look.

Helen ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 4:50 AM · edited Sun, 05 November 2006 at 4:53 AM

I haven't checked it out in ages but Photoshop was the industry standard .  I assume this is still the case.

If you are going to use whatever program you get on a professional level then Photoshop is the one to get.

Photoshop is about $649.00 US

The Standard 'Creative Suite' might be an option to consider  at around $899.00 US

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/?sdid=KFWJ

There is a comparison chart between the Standard and Premium versions of this package part way down the page.

Illustrator is the Vector program
InDesign is for Desktop Publishing (Pamplets, brochures, posters etc)

If you can afford the extra cash (about $200.00 US) you can get the Premium Version

Helen

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Senior MarketPlace Tester

If anyone sees a mind wandering aimlessly around..... It is mine.  I want it back.

Jadelu ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 5:05 AM

There is a free 30 day trial version of Photoshop available at Adobe's homepage and probably something similar for PSP I imagine.

You could download both and see which one you prefer before investing what is really a rather large amount in either (even if it's not your own money).

Personally I use Photoshop CS2, but that's mainly because I got it very cheap from a special student offer. I haven't tried PSP.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 5:40 AM

Quote - There is a free 30 day trial version of Photoshop available at Adobe's homepage and probably something similar for PSP I imagine.

You could download both and see which one you prefer before investing what is really a rather large amount in either (even if it's not your own money).

Yep, I agree with that!  It shouldn't be about spending as much money of your friend's as possible, it should be about what you personally prefer, and if it's the cheaper program, then so be it.

PSP does have a 14 or 30 day trial.  I think back in the days of Jasc it was 30 days. I know I liked it so much that I bought it within a few days of downloading the trial. And Photoshop also has a trial.

stormchaser ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 6:47 AM

I've been using Paint Shop Pro for years, version 7 has been my favourite, ideal for digital photos & postwork. I have recently bought Pro Photo XI & while it's took me some time to get used to a new interface & stuff there are some good effects to be had with this for postwork. I now also have a full working trial version of Photoshop CS2. Now I agree with others that it can be a bit daunting at first because we have been so used to PSP but it you stick with it there is a lot of cool stuff you can do with it. I will continue to work with this program to achieve what I can out of it, but I will still be using PSP because it is a dream to use.

Ideally it is best to have both programs, but if you are serious about postwork & money is no object then PS CS2 is probably the way to go. But still try to get PSP because of its ease of use.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 6:24 PM

I hav'nt used PSP much, but I've never needed to leave Photoshop.  I'd like to say that Photoshop 9 is worth all that money, but would have to say that it has'nt changed all that much since version 7(Which first came with ImageReady(For .GIF work)  So, if you'rte looking to save a little $$, I would recommend looking for an older version of Photoshop, before PSP.

BTW - If you do'nt hink you'll need ImageReady You could pick up version 4 or 5(Whichever first introduced Actions...)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.