Sun, Oct 6, 7:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: WIP.... Torch .. How to get a more visible flame

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 1:31 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 7:26 AM

file_358599.jpg

I'm working on this wip scene in Bryce 6.. all boolean...  and I'm tired of playing in the light Lab and playing in the proceedural...   any one know  a way to get the flame to look like a flame... does it look like a flame as is...?  your opinion please

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 8:06 AM

What's supposed to look like a flame, the green crystal or the blue thing that looks sort of like a propane torch?

1st go into the Skylab and check to make sure disable sunlight and link sunlight to view are off. You don't want to fight the Skylab trying to make everything look like a bright sunny day.

2nd there are a bunch of little down arrowheads along the left edge of the Bryce desktop that make the menus for camera view, render quality, etc. pop out when you click on them. Click the bottom one and make sure that Gamma correction is unchecked. Gamma correction tries to pull bright or dark scenes back towards the middle. You won't get bright brights or dark darks with it on.

3rd Light visible surface or volume + Atmospheric haze = Good! You can turn on visible surface or volume on lights but not much will happen if you don't have any haze in the atmosphere. Too little and you see just a hint of light like the bright spot in front of your blue thingy. Still not enough and you will see bands in the light. A whole lot and your lights look okay but you start having fog in the far side of your room/scene. If you can't get the lights to show without making the back half of your scene disappear go on to 4th.

4th The bigger hammer method. Use two lights. Create one volume light and make the falloff cubed or ranged. Set the brightness at some ridiculous level like 600. This light will provide the glow and throw light onto nearby objects without making your back wall light up like a movie screen. Create a second light in the same place with a normal brightness and linear falloff to light the rest of your scene.

5th Don't raise the bridge, lower the river. If you want a dark scene and your bright lights are making everything glow you can always go into materials and turn down the diffusion so objects reflect less of the light. You can also turn up the ambient to get more of the colors you intended. That way you can have super bright blue lights bit still have your floor look orange and rusty.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 05 November 2006 at 2:36 PM

I'll look into your suggestions..  I suspect it will be the gamma....  I did use high haze and nothing so let me get back....  thank you...   

Oh it is a propane type of nozzel....  and that other piece of bright thing is a hot meta bar..

I'm not finished yet with this scene...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 06 November 2006 at 2:27 AM · edited Mon, 06 November 2006 at 2:30 AM

file_358720.jpg

I had to resort to post work to get a flame that looked like a flame,,,,   This is just a test...

I have seen many images that required post work because the main program could not do the job.....  Has anyone seem fire done like this with Bryce.  It bothers me to have to resort to post work after spending time doing all this with Bryce primitives.... 

In case my objects are completely bizzar :  This is a nozzle of a type of torch and the other center object is an obstrution being melted on the floor on this imaginary world...  NOT FINISHED..

Thanks...

draculaz ( ) posted Mon, 06 November 2006 at 7:04 AM

You could try just getting some fire from an explosion image off google images, postwork it a bit, and add it as a 2D face like I did in the two urns above. Then it will just render out, and if you rotate them right, it might even look realistic. In this case I used a bit of  Clay's fire at the bottom as well :)

tom271 ( ) posted Mon, 06 November 2006 at 12:15 PM

@ Draculaz:  I could do that but if I'm going to use someomes flame (photo or likes wise) I might as well make my own flame and put it on a 2D suface.  Thank you..  That seems to be a good Idea..  Because I'm still using a Bryce primitives (2D face) .. It'll make my scene more Bryce made.

Somehow doing it like my sample took away from it...  at least for the Bryce forum ethics :-)

Thats a beautiful scene you made.. someday I'll be making them too...

Tom

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 1:24 AM · edited Tue, 07 November 2006 at 1:27 AM

It just did not work out with the 2D..  It looked too billboardish...   I decided when I finish my scene to  employ  Painter on that fleme...   Here is a test shot of that scene and flame.. I think it is pretty good...

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 1:27 AM

file_358821.jpg

wildman2 ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 12:28 PM

file_358870.jpg

you want somthing like this.looks more propane type torch

"Reinstall Windows" is NOT a troubleshooting step.

tom271 ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 2:03 PM

I had a flame very close to this and it would just be overwhelmed by the surroundings,,,   can you post for me what are your ingredients to this flame....

My flame is just a test since I'm not finished with it..  My flame is more a blowtorch type I know...

Thank you for posting

Tom

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.