Tue, Oct 22, 3:48 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 3:39 am)

Subject: Anyone else's carpal tunnel syndrome increase by using Poser?

tebop ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:51 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:47 AM

i do'nt even type. It's mostly clicking the mouse. And i have really small hands even though i'm a guy. well i think it's hereditary because my mom has carpal tunnel s, and my dad doesn't even if he works with his hands all day Anyway, i was fine..until i started to use Poser. it's fun, great, but my symptoms which had calmed down, are now back. Any tips on how to cope? wanting to pose but suffering from CTS

jt411 ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 12:43 AM

The urge to throw in a tasteless masturbation joke is killing me...

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 12:55 AM

Thanks for not doing it

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:12 AM

Instead of using your wrist to move your mouse, try using the forearm to do it. I just checked how I use the mouse and my wrist isn't involved at all. I seem to move my forearm and wrist together.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:24 AM

My mouse pad has a foam pad for the wrist. Claims to help with the problem by supporting the wrist. Don't know if it's true but it sure is a lot more comfortable and less strain on my wrist.

stewer ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:00 AM

Use the other hand. It's easier than you think.

Prikshatk ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 4:37 AM

Try a different device like a pen and tablet.

The best thing I found was the vertical mouse, rotating the wrist through 90 degrees, keeping the radius and ulna from 'crossing':

http://www.evoluent.com/

regards
pk
www.planit3d.com

Casette ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:02 AM

It's a question of time. Wait some months using the mouse up than 12 daily hours and your muscles will be sufficiently hard to support it. The only trouble is an arm bigger than the other one

It's my case ;)

Ps. It isn't a joke. Usually I use Poser up than 12 hours in a day. But I work profesionally with it

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 8:21 AM

I have had three surgeries due to CTS (right hand and both elbows).  The most important thing you can do is to listen to your body!  If your hand aches, stop for a bit and do some excercise.  Streach your fingers and arms.  Make sure you have a good chair and it it adjusted properly.  Does your desk have enough room for the mouse pad or are you reaching for your mouse?  Things like that will really stress your wrists and elbows.  Is your monitor at the correct hight and distance?  Looking up/down/sideway for long periods will stress your neck muscles, which will cause you to tense up and excellerate stress throughout your arms. 

About once a month, I sit in my chair, grab my mouse, close my eyes and just sit for a minute.  Then I check for any signs of stress in my body.  If my sholder is hurting, it usally means my chair is too low - adjustments are made and I do the same thing again till I feel "right". 

Once I bought a desk that had enough room to work on and a good chair, I have not had any more problems with my hands.  I take frequent breaks and do excercise throughout the day.  Remember, once the nerve is damaged, it takes years to heal - it's better to avoid the injury in the first place.

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:18 PM

I use one of those foam pad things. what are the usual symptoms of CTS? does it help if they give ya a local cortisone injection?

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 4:34 PM

Local cortisone only hides the pain - it does not correct anything.  In the long run it will cause more damage and is hard on your liver.  Plus, those shots HURT!!!  They stick the needle right into the joint. 

Symtoms of CTS is pain and stiffness in the elbows and numbness in the hands (most people have pain in the palm and thumb, but it can effect all of the fingers).  It may be worse in the morning making a lot of people think they "slept wrong". 

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 4:40 PM

i dont' have any pain. just tingling in the finger tips. Well anyways, thanks for the tips. It's not going to stop me from getting Poser 7.

lululee ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:32 PM

Vitamin B6 is both a cure and a preventative for  CTS. My arm used to be totally on fire. Now I can work for at least 10 hours a day in Poser with no pain in my arm.

Of course I now have to take drops for my eyes but the arm is great.

cheerio  lululee

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:36 PM

B6? Gotta try that. My elbows are toast. It started in my left elbow (I'm lefthanded) then I switched the mouse to my rigt hand, so now it's just BOTH elbows...

Thing is, Poser isn't just a hobby, it's an addiction. So even if I wanted to, there's no way I can stay off the computer long enough for it to thoroughly heal :o(

So I'm looking for an alternative. B6 sounds promising. Thanks for the tip!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:47 PM · edited Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:48 PM

I've known someone who traded in their mouse for a trackball.  It worked for them.  Personally, I don't like trackballs.  But if it was a choice between getting used to using a trackball or intense pain -- then I'd learn to use the trackball.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:51 PM

Some extra physical exercise is recommended, like weight lifting, or stretching and relaxation exercises. Another cause is stress, which gives extra nerve and muscle tension.For myself I practise T'ai chi and chi kung which is relaxing and exercise.:closedeyes:

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:23 PM

I have DeQuervain's (the tendon, not the nerve) and actually had the release done. What helps me is to put a folded towel under my elbow/upper forearm  when I'm using the mouse.

aprilrosanina ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:52 PM

I had tendonitis for awhile, from too much repetitive-motion computer use.  Things that worked for me:

• Attention to posture
  • Frequent breaks for hand exercises. Had a reminder program called 'xwrists', I think.
  • Split keyboard.
  • Use different hands for the mouse. (I eventually put the mouse on my work computer on the right, the mouse on my home computer on the left.)
  • A scroll-wheel mouse is handy, I find.  For severe cases, a "touch-mouse" that works like a laptop's touchscreen mouse. I used one for awhile, and once you get used to it, it can be quite nifty.

For pain: hot/cold treatments. Ice pack and heating pad, alternately. (Ice reduces swelling, heat relaxes overtense muscles.)

If problems persist: Wrist braces, available at any med-suply store at about $20 each. They're clunky, but they can really save your wrists.

Don't go for cortisone shots  or surgery till you've tried everything else that can help! Save those for  when the problem gets severe or refuses to respond to lesser treatments.

akanwa ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 12:29 AM

My RSI got a lot better once I started using my laptop's track pad left-handed. Sometimes I do get carried away and fall back into using my right hand out of decades of habit, but offloading some of the work to my left hand helps immensely. Coral calcium supplements are good too.

KarenJ ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:08 AM

Look for a mousemat with a wrist rest built in, preferably adjustable. Get a keyboard rest, too. Take regular breaks and shake your arms and hands out. Make sure there are no drafts around your workspace, and that your workspace is big enough to mouse without hunching up. I like to rest my forearms on the desk and push my keyboard, mouse and monitor back, but some people prefer arm rests - invest in a good ergonomic chair. (This will also help prevent back strain.)

I also use some of those support tubigrip bandages when the pain is particularly severe, and they seem to help. Plus my doc has got me on Diclofenac.

If you're only getting tingling now, don't let it get any worse. Because when the pain starts, you'll really know it, trust me!

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.