Thu, Sep 19, 10:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce6 materials issue...?

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 4:16 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Hey guys.

I decided to put something together now that V6 is released, but keep getting error messages every time i try to add a new material to the library.

"A file error has occured(File not found)"

Sounds familiar to anyone here? 

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 5:01 PM

Go to the root folder of B6 and look to see if you have 2 "Preset" folders, 1 main folder and then another "presets" inside the main "Presets" folder, if so look inside the sub-folder and look inside to see if there's a "Materials" or "Mats" folder, if so, click and drag the materials folder from the sub-folder into the main "Presets" folder. Then open Bryce and try to load or save mats. Or maybe you didn't download or install all the Material Presets files ?

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 5:15 PM

Yeah, like sackrat exaplained...if the presets weren't installed, its something about the directories not existing and a glitch happening.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 5:46 PM

I downloaded all of them although i see here that preset file 2 is awfully small.
You did put me on the right track though. I created a couple of new folders and got it to work. Although i don´t have any materials except the one i just added. :)
Think i´ll just move some folders from 5.5. That should do the trick.

Thanks guys.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 6:01 PM

file_358981.jpg

Here's what my file sizes look like (on windows)

Watcha working on there Rudy, anything specific in mind?

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 6:34 PM · edited Wed, 08 November 2006 at 6:35 PM

Well i see what the problem is. It´s the second preset file, which is only 504 kb here. :)

Just installed B6 and doing some testing. I´m thinking of remodelling parts of my Budapest project and render it in Bryce instead of Maxwell. This one is merely a test and not as accurate as the original model, but so far it´s promising.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 6:53 PM

"...and render it in Bryce instead of Maxwell..."

Lol, have you actually found something that renders slower than Bryce?

J/K...I know the Maxwell story already. ;o)

You've got a beautiful butt...ress there, man.

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 9:43 PM · edited Wed, 08 November 2006 at 9:44 PM

Holy Ned ! That looks great ! Wish I wasn't so modeling challeged.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

mboncher ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 10:06 PM

Crap.  I wish I tested as good as that.  It's like watching Da Vinci "just doodle a little somthing" :::shooting jealous glances towards Rochr:::  heh heh

Hey Sack, I've a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it. ;c)  Sorry been wanting to say that to you for a while now you Marx Brothers afficianado you.

mdb

Rochr ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 11:38 PM

It´s not so much the speed in Maxwell, more a lousy memory management.
Actually, even C4D crawls with these, and i even bought more RAM for this project.

Bryce may be slow, but completely unbeatable when it comes to handling massive polycounts. :D

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 12:25 AM

I'm looking forward to Bryce 7 taking away some of my massive polycounts with Instancing.

Poor Maxwell. They really do have some crazy realistic renders in their gallery. memory management sounds fixable...eventually/hopefully.

Bea ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 2:43 AM

Quote - Well i see what the problem is. It´s the second preset file, which is only 504 kb here. :)

Just installed B6 and doing some testing. I´m thinking of remodelling parts of my Budapest project and render it in Bryce instead of Maxwell. This one is merely a test and not as accurate as the original model, but so far it´s promising.

That is gorgeous :)

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:18 AM

Quote - I'm looking forward to Bryce 7 taking away some of my massive polycounts with Instancing.

Poor Maxwell. They really do have some crazy realistic renders in their gallery. memory management sounds fixable...eventually/hopefully.

Something to look forward to. :)

Maxwell is great for smaller scenes with few objects, and i love the output you get from the physical lighting. They just need to do something about the memory issues as well as the legendary disastrous workflow.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rayraz ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:00 PM

Well its apparently more difficult with indirect lighting solutions to flush geometry at will.... I know in mental ray you have to actually set a falloff range for FG in order for mental ray to be able to flush geometry data when it threatens to run outta memory.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:04 PM

hey, this week's freebie. thanks rudy! :D

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:33 PM

Quote - Bryce may be slow, but completely unbeatable when it comes to handling massive polycounts. :D

Uhmm i knew i should´ve kept my mouth shut...

I imported the original C4D model into Bryce and for the first time ever, i managed to bring up an "Out of memory" window when trying to save the setup.  :mad: 

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:02 PM

hahahahhahahaha

and you shall henceforth be known as flak :P

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:26 PM · edited Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:27 PM

Well, problems are meant to be solved. I´ll probably end up re-modeling most of it with Bryce booleans, even though it´s going to be a painful process. These will have to be made all over again........ :crying:

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:33 PM

OK,......now step away from the computer and go outside for awhile ! Are you insane ? Does this file have it's own hard drive ?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:44 PM

Try importing it into B5.0 or B5.5, save it as obp, and then do a drag and drop into B6.

I swear, these days....I look stare more at Rochr's renders than I do at internet "adult material", lol....even woke up this morning from a long dream of nothing but me constantly tweaking materials in Bryce. Kid you not.

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:51 PM

You know that´s a bad sign. :D

I´ll try that and see if it works better. Perhaps there´s a slight chance there´s a memory difference between versions. (wishful thinking here)

I think that´ll have to be yes on both your questions Sackrat. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

draculaz ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 7:40 PM

for the love of god, please don't make that with booleans..

m

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 7:53 PM

I'm having my middle name change to "Booleans".

sackrat ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:06 PM · edited Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:06 PM

"Booleans Smith" ,.........wasn't he the junior senator from Idaho during the FDR Administration ?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:11 PM

He was the parent in a long link, er...line of other Smiths

mboncher ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 1:49 AM

Don't you mean a long list of Smith copies? 

I thought so.
me too.
and me too.
me also....
uh oh.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 3:06 PM

Quote -
I´ll try that and see if it works better. Perhaps there´s a slight chance there´s a memory difference between versions. (wishful thinking here)

I'm guessing there may be, I was getting some out of memory errors in B6 last few days, on models that were large, but not overly large (pushing 100 meg worth of obj polygons). I remember stuffing models much much bigger (500+ meg of 3ds triangles) in B5 or 5.5 without ever getting an out of memory message.  This was on import, by the way.

I remember in B5, I would sometimes have to let it crunch through import overnight, but it would eventually make it, without the memory error.

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

sackrat ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 3:47 PM

Actually, I;ve found it may have more to do with where(ie what app was used) the models were constructed.  I've had models imported directly from Poser as .obj files that gave me out of memory messages, but when opened in C4D and re-exproted as .obj files they worked fine. So,.........I dunno.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 4:19 PM

I really hope the 3D industry, one day, all goes to one singular file format.

Rayraz ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 5:14 PM

That modelling is insaaaane! are u sure you dont need to add a meshsmooth or two to this thing? 😉

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")
(")This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 10:23 PM

Sackrat, Hmmm, poser obj's you say?  That's exactly what I was importing when I got the error!
The large ones I imported before were all out of higher end apps... Cad, Max,etc...

Funny, I had Poser sitting around here since 3, but it's just recently, since a friend asked me to help her convert some objects from Poser into Bryce that I started messing with it more... She wants some authentic historic clothes for the characters, which I'm pretty sure I can model, but I'll have to learn how to posersize them, and make conforming clothing, I guess. HA!

Poser's limitations are driving me batty though, maybe enough to finally take on learning how to model and rig a human character in Max....  

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 1:39 PM

Rochr, I just remembered something. were u getting memory errors on import of your 3d model? if so, you might want to check out the .cob file format (i think it originally is a truespace format?). From my experience Bryce seems to just love .cob... it imports fast and I've never had memory error with it yet so far.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

Rochr ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 4:48 PM

Importing the stuff worked fine, although it was a slow process. :)
I got the memory error when trying to save the scene.
But i´ll try out exporting the model in.cob and see if i have better luck.

If anything else fails, i´ll try Maxwell again. Although i would have to split up the scene into 9 different renders. :biggrin:

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Rayraz ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 7:46 PM

You could also just split the scene up in parts and save every part in a seperate scene. Then merge the scenes before the rendering starts.

(_/)
(='.'=)
(")

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 10:34 PM

I've had a lot of luck with .cob's in the past (when all else failed) - fingers crossed for ya man.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.