Thu, Sep 19, 6:49 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 6:38 pm)

Subject: Edit the texture for a char. in poser6, HOW??

snaah ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 6:06 PM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 5:38 PM

Ogod i really tried to understand, but beeing new to the 3d it isnt easy to get a grip of it... I would SOOO appreciate if someone could explain to me in steps (like 3d for DUMMIES = thats me) what ill have to do and how do to it to be technical 'successful' (art is another thing). For instance i have poser6 and i want to change a texture on a modell, let say for fun, i want to put some hair on Jessis chest. HOW?? I have UVMapper but i dont know what to do with it. I can only import .obj files to UVMapper after exporting the objekt as alias.obj (think that was alias, anyway its .obj files) but theres no texture to be modified. So now what?? Im SOO clueless... Ive even been trying to 'paint' the hair onto the texturemap directly, is that the way to do it? It looked like real s--t, hmmm? Are people making their great art that way then they are soo out of my league. All i can say is youre geniuses :-) Please any hints and tips would be so appreciated. I really want this to work out, i have so many ideas but i cant give them life. If these are questions beeing ansered a zillion times before - im really sorry but im new here. ive been trying to get the appropriate info but perhaps i use the wrong searchterms? and after that... How can i make morphtargets i.e morphs ex i want to make it possible to extrude a nose (or whatever :-)) in a person. What do i need to make that happen (without local magnet tool). Oh hear me... Where do i START?? Do i sound a little desperate?? Well, you got it... i am, really, really, really. I dont understand the flow in which order to do what. PLEASE help me... Snaah

Realmling ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 6:19 PM

If you're wanting to make your own textures, or modify exsisting ones, you'll need Photoshop, PSP, GIMP....some sort of image editing app more advanced than MSpaint. Then you can take the template supplied with the model (or generated by you in UVmapper if one isn't included) into said program and make/modify a texture to your hearts content.

If you really were to want more realistic chest hair, that would probably be better accomplished through the Hair room (of which I know nothing about yet...)

If you practice enough and become efficient with them, you can do all sorts of stuff creating morph targets with the Poser magnets. Otherwise, you'll need another program, a modeler or other such app, to assist with making them. And you don't need the high dollar apps, there are plenty of free/affordable ones like Anim8tor, Blender...just to name a few. You'd then export the desired body part as a morph target from Poser, make your modifications, and then reload as your finished morph.

There are plenty of great tutorials around the forums here to help with learning various bits of the Poser experience....Do a search for Dr. Geep and you should come up with quite a few.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

Maxfield ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 6:32 PM

Okay, let's take this bit by bit.

The FaceRoom in Poser will let you make simple alterations to the textures for the P5/P6 figures. You can adjust for skin colour, beard growth, etc. That's about all you can do in Poser.

The way to modify textures is to take them into a paint program like Photoshop or PaintShopPro. If you can't afford these, there's a free paint program called Gimp which you can download. Also, there's an improved version called Gimpshop - Google them.

UVMapper won't let you paint anything. All it does is pull a 3d model to pieces and lay those pieces out flat, ready to be painted.

Magnets are a common way to make new morph targets, but they are tricky to use. You can export a body part to a 3d modelling program and morph it in there. Wings3d and Anim8or are simple free modelling programs that you can download. There's also a special Poser morph program called MorphMaster.

Working with Poser, like any artistic tool, takes a lot of time and practise. The people here aren't geniuses, ( okay, some of us are ;-)  ) they've just spent years doing this stuff and getting smart at it. The good news is, everybody here is happy to give advice to anybody who wants to learn.  Check out the tutorials here, and head over to http://drgeep.com/index.html for some very good advice on how to use the basics in Poser.

Good luck, and welcome to the world of Poser!

Maxfield ( ) posted Tue, 07 November 2006 at 6:33 PM

Wow, Realmling - great minds think alike, huh?

raven ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 1:18 PM

Attached Link: Dr Geeps tutorials

Here's a link to the tutorials of the good Dr .

snaah ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 11:32 AM

Quote - If you're wanting to make your own textures, or modify exsisting ones, you'll need Photoshop, PSP, GIMP....some sort of image editing app ... [ SNIP ]

Thank you, Realmling :-) I have tried to follow the instructions and YESS!! Its difficult to find the right place to paint or "correct" especially on the part "wrapping" around, for example on a human texture... the part on the back which is going to be wrapped. Is this a known issue or is it just me missing out something? Thanks again

snaah ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 11:48 AM

Quote - Okay, let's take this bit by bit.

The FaceRoom in Poser will let you make simple alterations to the textures for the P5/P6 figures... [ SNIP ]

Thank you, Maxfield :-) You and Realming... What a team, ey? Thank you for filling in the missing parts as defining the use of UVMapper. One more question about that UVMapper... Lets say i sculpt a head in 3dMax and import the model to UVMapper and export the model as "paintable" and i have four (or more) photos of a human head [front][rightSide][leftSide] and [back] and perhaps one for the [top] How do i apply the photos onto the "paintable" exported "raster"? Sorry for not using the correct terminology... Doin my best :-) Any thoughts? Anyone?

snaah ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 11:49 AM

Quote - Here's a link to the tutorials of the good Dr .

Cool, thanks!!

rickymaveety ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 11:58 AM

This may sound silly, but it works for a lot of the textures I create.  If you have a scanner, great, if not see if you can borrow one or the use of one.  Scan a hairy chest.  Pull that scan into your PSP or other image editor to work with it.  Then try mapping it to your character's chest.

I do a lot with book covers ... scanning them and then setting up the scans to map parametrically to book models (which I have either purchased or gotten for free on the net).

PSP is relatively cheap.  I use version 8.1, which, in my opinion was the best of the lot, and you could probably get a copy of that for dirt cheap on ebay.

However, any image editor that will let you work in layers ... that's important.  Locate the original texture for your character.  Then bring the chest hair in as a new layer.  Resize to fit and blend the hair (which can be done rather quickly using one of the layer blend modes), and you've got realistic chest hair.

Could be worse, could be raining.

Realmling ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 1:39 PM

These are some tutorials I did around DeepPaint 2, which is now free. There is a basic introductory one on the app itself, then a simple beginners one for texturing a dress.

Deep Paint 2 Tutorials

The premise is basically the same no matter what you're texturing..so hopefully these will help a little. Turning photos of a face into a texture can be a little more involved...I remember seeing some tuts on this a while back, I'll see if I can't dig them back out again.

If you are creating textures for the Mil figures, do a search through the free stuff here for SnowSultan's seam guides. These help show you where all the parts of the UVmap match up when you're painting a texture. Even if you're not, they will still be a good guide to see how you'll want to lay out your UVmap and then match up the seams to help you with your textures.

Also, and I'm still learning this part myself....if you're modeling in Max, use the built in UV mapping stuff it has. I'd say start with simple things and work your way up. I use a combination of Max mapping, UV mapper and DeepUV for my projects. There's still quite a bit I need to figure out, but I can generally pull off something that's not too bad.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

snaah ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:53 PM

Quote - This may sound silly, but it works for a lot of the textures I create.  If you have a scanner, great, if not see if you can ... [ SNIP ]quote] Great idea!! I will use that in the future for sure, thanks

snaah ( ) posted Sat, 11 November 2006 at 8:57 PM

Quote - These are some tutorials I did around DeepPaint 2, which is now free...[ SNIP ]

Thanks, i promise ill let you know if i find anything out :-) Thank you for your time. Ill look out for the apps youre talking about... Later!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.