Tue, Sep 24, 8:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Same IP Address, Different Members

srnichols ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:02 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 8:21 AM

Just so the mods and site admins here know..

Two people can be members of Renderosity, live in the same household with multiple computers and share an Internet connection with a dedicated IP address.

In other words:

Just because you have two users with accounts here and the IP address they are coming in on is the same, it doesn't make them the same person.

I have only ONE account here. I am on a PC using IE7, the other member in my household has a Mac and uses Safari. A simple check or your stats will verify this.

Cheers.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:38 AM

Yup, my hubby has his pc use my internet connection using a wireless router.  My laptop also uses it the same way and we both use that.

Gill

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:47 AM

we are aware of this and some servers use the same IP over and over again. this isn't the only thing we use to determine a clone :O)

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:09 AM · edited Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:14 AM

My telephon company has much more broadband users than the number of assigned IPs, so the same IP must be shared by a lot of users!
255.255  IPs gives 65536, too few for more than a million users

Stupidity also evolves!

srnichols ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:32 AM · edited Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:40 AM

Quote - My telephon company has much more broadband users than the number of assigned IPs, so the same IP must be shared by a lot of users!
255.255  IPs gives 65536, too few for more than a million users

Yeah, and the delay in the lines between your planet and Earth mush be staggering !

:)

srnichols ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 11:40 AM

Quote - we are aware of this and some servers use the same IP over and over again. this isn't the only thing we use to determine a clone :O)

OK, but if you start calling me anathandra, we BOTH are gonna take turns whipping you with a wet noodle.

:-)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 3:45 PM

it's called DHCP, ricardo. ya may get a different IP address every time ya connect. the idea is that they aren't all online simultaneously.

anathandra ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 3:56 PM · edited Sun, 12 November 2006 at 3:59 PM

Quote - > Quote - we are aware of this and some servers use the same IP over and over again. this isn't the only thing we use to determine a clone :O)

OK, but if you start calling me anathandra, we BOTH are gonna take turns whipping you with a wet noodle.

:-)

nods Any system that says that about us would have to be pretty flawed. :-D It would be awfully lonely for the two of us if we were the same person. Plus, I think it would upset his dogs and my cat. (I don't think the betta fish has an opinion on the matter. Though I could be wrong.) Anyway, any other account that I might have was abandonned years ago in an accident with a changed email address and lost password. It wasn't worth the trouble of fixing since I had no real history in that prior account. I mean, I hadn't bought anything here until 2004. Nef

SndCastie ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 4:03 PM

srnichols ROFL I promise not to call you anathandra but then again I might like the whipping with a wet noodle :tt2:

Sandy
An imagination can create wonderful things

SndCastie's Little Haven

darth_poserus ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 4:56 PM

Question, what exactly constitutes a clone account?

Before the name change service came to be, I wanted to change my username, and had to create a new account to do so, as I was told by the staff that it wasn't possible too change my username, or too move my gallery over to a new account.

So I had no choice but to create a new account, take everything down, from the previous account and then upload it, one image per day.

As has been pointed out, if someone doesnt want too pay to change their username, they can just create a whole new account.

And now that there is a pay for name change service, if you create another account, because you don't like your previous username, and want another one, is the member going to be accused of having a clone account and be sanctioned..................?

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 6:55 PM

Quote - And now that there is a pay for name change service, if you create another account, because you don't like your previous username, and want another one, is the member going to be accused of having a clone account and be sanctioned..................?

As I understand it, multiple accounts aren't forbidden, only some uses of them e.g. for voting or sidestepping a ban.

kawecki ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:03 PM · edited Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:09 PM

"it's called DHCP, ricardo. ya may get a different IP address every time ya connect.
the idea is that they aren't all online simultaneously."

It's not dynamic IP as in dial up, the IP is fixed, programmed in the modem and always the same for me.
Even with dynamic IP two DHCP servers from different parts can assign the same IP. The DHCP servers only looks locally at the available free IPs.
I know little about the Internet, so I don't know how it's done for a packet to arrive to the correct IP and not to the other one with the same IP. I think that it is solved with the routers and gateway information.
There's another information, the MAC address that is unique to each network adapter, maybe this information is used locally to deliver the information to the right computer from a trunk sharing the same IP.

Stupidity also evolves!

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 7:10 PM
nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 8:22 PM

Another complication is transparent proxies.
Some ISPs route all HTTP traffic through (one of a cluster of) proxies (for caching and quota purposes), so completely unrelated people may appear to be using the same IP.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.