Fri, Sep 20, 2:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara to Poser and Back

1DanK ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 9:53 AM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 12:42 PM

I seem to recall someone providing what percent to scale things when creating them in Carrara, saving as Wavefront OBJ file and them importing into Poser, so that they show up at the right scale.  The reverse would also be good to know so that if you save from poser as OBJ file, you would know what to do when you imported it into Carrara so that when you saved it back out and imported it to Poser it would be the same size as when you exported it.  I have been experimenting but have not hit on the right combinations. 

Thanks

Dan

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 1:07 PM

On the latter, if you disable auto-scaling Carrara will indeed keep the object at the same scale; you can export from Poser and re-import after working on it in Carrara. Unfortunately the Carrara tools are not very good at that scale, so most people will scale up by 500 or so, do the work, rescale at 1/500 and export again. But there is an oddity. I have not tracked down whether it is in the scaling process itself, but re-importing to Poser at that point seems to have displaced my objects a small amount in space. Easily corrected in Poser, but annoying. (Obviously, you also want to disable auto-position on the Carrara end, and uncheck everything on the Poser import. The Poser export settings depend on what it is you are doing. For the most part I uncheck everything but "keep existing groups." And on the Carrara end I import as Vertex Object, one polymesh, one object.)

nomuse ( ) posted Sun, 12 November 2006 at 1:12 PM

As far as scaling new models to the Poser workspace... I have found it simplest to just build the model in Carrara, import to Poser with "send to floor," "center," and "percent of figure size" checked. Then using either a figure for eyeball reference, or one of the various rulers kind people have made, I scale it, align it the way I want it in the Poser universe, etc. Export from Poser again, marking the file as "Poser Scaled." (Again, the usual setting is all unchecked with exception of "keep existing groups.") In the case of, say, conforming clothing, I have found it simple enough to open and zero the figure I am conforming to within Poser, import the new mesh as above, switch to isometric camera and wireframe view, and scale and shift the object by hand until I have the best fit possible. Then export, again as above. After that I can bone the new garment and otherwise deal with it normally. (Same goes for smart props).

ziggie ( ) posted Tue, 14 November 2006 at 5:05 AM

The simplest way... is to use Objaction Scaler and use 96% each way.

That is Enlarge by 96% out of Poser... for use in Carrara... and then Reduce by 96% from Carrara back into Poser.

I have used Objaction Scaler for several years now between Poser/Carrara... it has never let me down and the scaling between the 2 programs is precise/exact.

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

1DanK ( ) posted Tue, 14 November 2006 at 7:22 AM

Thanks for the information on Objaction Scaler.  It works great.  Many thanks!!!! 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.