Thu, Oct 3, 1:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: UV Mapper Pro and the magic displaced torus

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 3:23 AM · edited Thu, 03 October 2024 at 1:20 AM
Forum Moderator

**Conniekat8 asked over in the UV Mapper forum whether the displacement feature in UV Mapper Pro could help her get a better rope for her Wharf image.  I did not know the answer, so I read the tutorial [ here](http://www.uvmapper.com/tutorials/tutorial_displace.html) and started to dig in.  First I will post the workspace in UV Mapper Pro showing the result of the displacement.**

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 3:25 AM
Forum Moderator

**Now here is the image used to achieve the displacement .  It is not a seamless image so there is a noticeable seam in the torus which is easily hidden.  This was made in Photopaint using the eyecandy 4000 wood filter.**

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 3:27 AM
Forum Moderator

**Now here is the Bryce 5 render using a birch wood texture I have had laying around since the days of Bryce 4.**

UVDan ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 3:29 AM · edited Sat, 18 November 2006 at 3:34 AM
Forum Moderator

**It is not perfect I know, but it is waaaaaay better than trying to use a texture and bump map on a non displaced torus.  Thanks Conniekat8 for allowing me to explore new territory in UV Mapper Pro.  God knows what other images can be used as displacement.

If you wanted to simulate cloth I imagine you could use a fine weave pattern, and if you wanted to simulate wicker you could use a coarse weave pattern.  Off to experiment and see if this will work on imported models and not just models created in UV Mapper Pro.**

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 2:22 PM

With this, I'll have plenty of rope to tangle myself in it!   :b_funny:
Thank you so much for sharing the good stuff!

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

tom271 ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 6:33 PM

You are the pro  in UV Mapper Pro......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 18 November 2006 at 7:36 PM

file_359920.jpg

Thought I would share this.You could easily use meshes from Knotplot and import them into Bryce and do an altitude render from top view. You could use this to make a displacement map to wrap around a cylinder, or elongated cube in UV Mapper Pro to make a Celtic knot-carved pillar or beam. Just a thought.  Here's a sample of an altitude render of a Knotplot mesh made with the celtic knot designer.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.