Wed, Oct 2, 10:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Condensation on camera...yaayyy

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 6:22 PM · edited Sun, 01 September 2024 at 7:39 AM

Hi guys and girls from all over the planet!

I have  great problem. I got a new camera canon 400D...yummy yummy!! I am on my holliday staying in a very hot town. Most of the time my camera sitting in my bag in a confortable 26 - 30 C temperature in a cabin. When I go out taking some photographs soon as I pull my camera out of a bag, my lens get foggy and a whole camera got moist. I assume a same happeneing inside a camera as well. Extremally makes me worry how much canon takes of these extreme temperature changes.

Other part of my worry is my camera working range is up to 40C only. In my car registered on other day 47C outside around 40 - 42C. So is there anytihing to do to make my camera moist free and how can I deal with a high temperature condition?

seeyus  Tunde

inshaala ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 8:16 PM

keep the bag in the same conditions as the shooting conditions... the conditions inside the bag will gradually change to the same temperature and moisture of the outside. (infact maybe think of using silica bags in the camera bag itself as i dont think moisture difference is the main problem).  the moisture comes from the fact that the camera is colder than its warmer (and humid) envionment and the water vapour in the air condenses on the cold surface - its the same principle as having a shower and the mirror in the bathroom fogging up 😉 .  Elimnate that temperature difference and you eliminate the problem. 

As for the camera temperature operation range - either you will have to exceed it at your own risk or not take photos/take the camera into extreme conditions. i'm not 100% sure but i bet the cameras are designed to withstand a bit more of the temperature range than quoted - it's like the "Best before end:...." part to food - it is always within a few days of it actually going off to protect the manufacturer from claims against it.  So i would think that you have a little bit of leeway when it comes to temperature ranges of operation.  Someone please correct me if i am wrong this is just assumption.

Hope that helps :)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Radlafx ( ) posted Wed, 08 November 2006 at 8:19 PM

Condensation is everyone's worst nightmare (on electronics at least). Which country/city/town are you in. Your problem seems to be humidity.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 1:46 AM

Rich! I am in a trap, if I want to use my camera on the outdoor temperature than is clashes with a operation range 40C. So I think a have to gamble....I will use it long as my camera let me.

Radlafx! I am living in autralia, today outside temp was 43C...noithing I can do just close my eyes, say a few prays and take photographs while I can. But than again as Rich said might will take more heat than is qualified for. Time will tell I guess!

Thanks guys for a respond.

seeyus  Tunde

danob ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 5:48 AM

Yes the  Range is a guide for ideal conditions I have taken my Canon cameras into far worse conditions, and in hot humid climates.. You can protect your camera by sealing it in a plastic bag in humid conditions and after you take the camera out any condensation will form on the outside of the bag wait until the temp is equal sometimes up to 10 mins in bad conditions and then fire away

The higer spec Pro cams by Canon are moisture and dust sealed, but it would still be wise to use the bag technique, and dont change any lens in humid conditions if you have dust on your sensor it can then stick and become difficult to remove..

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Zacko ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 6:13 AM

When i played hockey we used to spray something on our helmet shields to keep them from foggying up.....probably not such a good idea for a lense though. :rolleyes:

Congratulations on your new camera. That seems to be a sweet one!!! 😄

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

inshaala ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 8:16 AM

hehe - @ Andreas - same thing when i've been diving or snorkelling - if you spit on the inside of your goggles they dont fog up :biggrin:

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 09 November 2006 at 9:09 AM

There you go Tunde, spit on your cam and all will be well...lol. Sounds like you got some good advice here, good luck! :m_hot:

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

urbanarmitage ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 1:22 AM

There is an American product called RainX that you put onto windows and mirrors and it prevents them from fogging up at all. Its wonderful stuff but I think it is alcohol-based so it would definately not be a good idea to use it on lenses. A lot of them have achromatic or apochromatic coatings on the glass and one or two applications of an alcohol-based liquid will remove these coatings completely.

We used to have the same problem with our telescopes and someone who shall remain unnamed tried a similar product to rainX on his 'scope. Lets just say that he didn't quite have the same quality view of the universe after that :crying:

As usual, just my 2c worth.

Wayne.

Dianthus ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 2:52 AM

Wow Tunde me Aussie and havent had that problem as yet. Strange. I know though can put sunglasses on and they fog straight up. But as yet havent had any trouble with my camera. What State you in? I live on far north coast of NSW.
Like what Danny had to say and makes alot of sense.
43 degrees already and it isnt Summer Tunde.
Most of here are talking about snow etc but we have the other extreme. Humidity and heat.
Chris
ps Great camera you will love to bits.

babuci ( ) posted Fri, 10 November 2006 at 3:16 AM

Ha ha ha! I might would skip a "spit approach" to the problem. LOL. 

Danny ....got a good point using a bag method Thanks Danny!

Chris.... I am happy to invate You to stay 2 days with us here...town called Emerald. it is in queensland, inland and this hot drives me mad, as You said there is not even summer yet.

thanks guys and You Chris to the input   seeyus  Tunde

Boofy ( ) posted Mon, 20 November 2006 at 12:13 AM

Hi Tunde, 
I put a few silicon bags in my stuff now, you can get them from medications or sometimes health tablets. Have a talk to your chemist they may even have some spares. If it is that hot all the time then maybe have it serviced every now and then at a camera repair place to keep it happy.

Your town brings back memories. I met a bloke who was from there many years ago when I was on a basketball tournament in Alice Springs but I moved house and lost his number...sigh Oh well.  Remember to use a hat and plenty of sunscreen in our hot Aussie sun, but wait a while before snapping away as slippery hands can drop fragile camera, then tears will flow!!!

Enjoy from Jenny,  a friend from melbourne!!!

babuci ( ) posted Tue, 21 November 2006 at 4:47 AM

Hi Jenny!

In this town I am only staying for  "working holiday". My resident set up on a Central Coast.... where is not that hot, well not 45 C at least! LOL!  Plenty of sunscreen yepp, but after applied it I always wipe my hand with a wet towel thingy before I touch a camera. ( I have a small bag in my camera bag ) I am very very fussy about my photo gear....and also good to clean my knees and elbos after macro shots of some tiny fungies on a forest ground too! LOL!

seeya Tunde

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.