Tue, Oct 1, 5:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Poser6_fur

ominousplay ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 4:25 PM · edited Sat, 28 September 2024 at 2:21 AM

file_360594.jpg

I've been playing around with the hair room. Fur looks good, but thin up close. I had to put the wolves back and with the fur sideways to the camera for the skin not to show. The fur also jumps around a bit when I save the document. I would love to see a python script that helped in the adding of fur to a figure. Maybe it would help select all zones and add fur to more than one at once. As it is now, I had to select each zone and add the fur... like 25 fur props. It would also be great to color the fur according to the texture map. Or fur tip according to a different map. This image took 35 min. to render, no ground shadows, with Carrara backdrop on eMac, 1.25 gig, 1 gig ram. The composition is not that great. I wanted both wolves on the same side, but also wanted to show off the fur. Any suggestions appreciated. R

Never Give Up!

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 6:10 PM

file_360607.jpg

(Click on image to enlarge) Image is MilDog with Moonrose's wolf texture and morphs.

I suggest you test a lot to find your balance between:

amount of hairs in every group,
thickness of root/tip of strands,
amount of verts - you can go as low as 6 and still be able to style quite well
Do the styling carefully and you will be able to have less hair which will cost less in power when rendering. The lighting is also important for the "scalp" not to show through.

ominousplay ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 7:51 PM

Very impressive! I saw Moonrose's textures... You must have used the hair in Poser. How did you get the variation in texture? I have MilDog and will play with that figure, but I'm at a loss at how you got the variety of colors for the fur.

Never Give Up!

Teyon ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:04 PM · edited Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:05 PM

You can give Poser's hair materials just like any other object. Couple that with the ability to group hair in patches or zones and you can get some nice layering/variation going on. 

Meant to add:

Great work there you two!

Tiny ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:10 PM

Yes, it is the dynamic hair used as fur.

To get the variation for the fur you apply the body textures to the fur too.

MilDog is a very heavy mesh and I had to quit my project of creating a furred dog using it. I constantly ran into crashes and other problems. But it would be nice if you can make it work.

Here is a LINK to thethread about the furred dog project. 😄

ominousplay ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:36 PM

I tried applying the wolf texture to the fur but don't see how it can tell where to apply the texture to the fur... as in, does it apply texture to the entire strand, of just the tip, and if so *just the tip:" then how does it know where on the mesh is that color or variation?

Never Give Up!

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 2:15 AM

Without looking at the other thread, Tiny.. Wouldn't it be possible to sorta make a lower rez "skullcap" for the dogs? Like a bodysuit? (and yes I realise it would have to be made either with the same morphs as the mill dog, or one "suit" for each breed, but...)

Just an idea. The furry cats are so awesome, it would be cool to have something similar for the dog 😄

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 2:44 AM

file_360643.jpg

I was unable to view the link above, but I worked all night on this wolf. I still need to tweak it. Some parts are too thin, and I did no styling of the hair. It is a start. I don't know how large the file has become. I'd upload it...but it is the MilDog with the wolf morph. Is it legal to upload? R

Never Give Up!

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 2:54 AM

Well, I finally say your post Tiny, and I just want to say - What a lot of work! You've already done it! Where can I purchase the dog pack? Looks great. R

Never Give Up!

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 6:53 AM

ominousplay, I had lots of problems with the Mildog and the fur. The conclusion is that the mesh is too heavy.
When creating a product to be sold it has to be able to handle all situations like posing, morphing, animating, styling fur, etc. And preferably on "weaker" computers too. So I placed the dog project "on ice" for now.

About the texture on the fur.
In material room you select each hair group in the list (one by one, they are listed as props) and apply the texture to it (maybe just copy and paste from the body texture settings).

TrekkieGrrrl,

Quote - Without looking at the other thread, Tiny.. Wouldn't it be possible to sorta make a lower rez "skullcap" for the dogs? Like a bodysuit? (and yes I realise it would have to be made either with the same morphs as the mill dog, or one "suit" for each breed, but...)

Just an idea. The furry cats are so awesome, it would be cool to have something similar for the dog 😄

It is a good idea and I have been thinking in the same lines TrekkieGrrrl. Have even made some testing. It would be the ultimate solution distribution wise. The only thing I would need help with would be making it conforming.

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 7:10 AM

Making it conforming shouldn't be too hard. Perhaps you could even do something like the Mad Scientist hair (I've used that approach a few times since I saw it) - so Pokethru doesn't NEED to be an issue. If the "bodysuit" is made transparent so only the fur can be seen... 

hmm.. PhilC needs to expand the supported characters for OBJ2CR2 to the mill dog :biggrin:

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 8:15 AM

One issue though is when running the automatic Recalculate Dynamic Hair which, depending on styling of course,  will follow the prop it is attached to. And setting the collision on will be too heavy for most computers I think because mine usually crash or freeze then.
So the hair prop must follow the animal mesh as closely as possible to avoid strange calculations.
Concidering that I figured it may be easier to simply create a new dog from scratch. We are then looking at a 10 year project for me... 😉

And yes, PhilC absolutely have to fix that! 😄

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 9:02 AM

file_360658.jpg

I was able to add this fur to a MilDog. You see it here. I'll play with changing the morphs - and the material must be able to change easier - I am having to change each zone / copy and paste, one at a time. Be nice to do it all at once. Thanks for your help Tiny. R

Never Give Up!

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 9:24 AM

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 10:26 AM

ominousplay, you are doing good so far, it looks nice. 😄

One work around way of changing the fur texture is to open the cr2 file in a text editor (for example EditPad Lite which is free and can handle big files easy). Then do a search and replace with the new texture name.
Example:
Open the cr2 file in EditPad Lite.
Search for .jpg (gives the first instans of the texture file) - you'll get for example 'greywolf.jpg'
Replace all 'greywolf.jpg' with your new texture, for example 'blackwolf.jpg'
Save the cr2 with another name.
Done.

Be sure to have the correct file path for the new texture incase it is not in the same directory as the previous texture.

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 10:32 AM

Tiny, were you successful at copying the textures to each prop at once? There is a choice in the simple - not advanced - part of the texture room that let you copy to all props or zones, but I didn't have success. Also, I didn't try changing the morph to a different dog to see if the hair followed. I think it will, since I adjusted ears and pose and the props followed. Be happy to send you the file if you want to play around with it. I'm running an eMac 1.25 gig with 1 gig ram with Poser6 and I added fur to the MilDog - without the other morphs from Moonrose. Just the Mildog with Wolf morph at 1.0. I can't send till I get home from work. We're finally getting snow in Anchorage, Alaska! We've had a record cold snap with no snow. The lakes were frozen but clear. You could walk on water, and see all the way to the bottom!

Never Give Up!

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 11:16 AM

Quote - Tiny, were you successful at copying the textures to each prop at once?

Try my suggestion using the text editor, it works best.

I'm on a PC (used to work on Macs though and still have one), will the file work on a PC? Be glad to take a look at it. 😄

It seems you are as far north as I am if not further. Sound wonderful!
I live an hour drive south of the arctic circle.
We are having a bad start of the winter - it is raining! But they promised better weather at the end of the week, hopefully with some snow and minus degrees. Can't stand the rain in the winter time.

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 11:51 AM

file_360672.jpg

Another option, though lower quality is to use displacement mapping with a noise node added to the base texture, Here is a very quick and dirty example using a simple math node from the displacement node with one input from the math node to the base texture and one to a noise node. You can experiment with the math function and the noise settings. 

This has the advantage that it renders lightning fast compared to dynamic hair, but doesn't look as good.

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 12:11 PM

Very impressive! Can you post the math? Is it actually displacing the mesh or is it a bump? I like the effects, would be great for figures in the distance.

Never Give Up!

tbird10 ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2006 at 1:02 PM

file_360677.JPG

Yep, it does displace the mesh, you need to make sure you have 'use displacement maps' selected in the render settings. Here are the material settings (this is the simplest, you can modify the texture map and use different math settings to adjust where the 'fur' is placed)

ominousplay ( ) posted Tue, 28 November 2006 at 10:25 AM

Now I'm looking for a text editor that works with the Mac. I have Bbedit Lite and various html editors, but none seem to give clean text. The cr2 files read as ".crz" files now on my computer... upgrade to Poser6 seeded to change file extensions. I even tried changing the extensions to .txt, .cr2, etc. with no luck. The files open as lines of garbage text. Anyone using a Mac and some type of text editor that works for these .cr2 files? Hopefully something free : ) and easy. thanks in advance

Never Give Up!

stewer ( ) posted Tue, 28 November 2006 at 10:57 AM

Attached Link: http://www.barebones.com

.crz are compressed cr2 files. The easiest way to decompress them on a Mac is to rename them to .cr2.gz, then double-clicking them. If you like BBEdit Lite, you should check out TextWrangler - it's the successor of BBedite Lite, it has a lot more features.

ominousplay ( ) posted Tue, 28 November 2006 at 12:16 PM

Thank you stewer, I played around and was able to decompress using dropstuff expander. Then I just save the edited .cr2 back to the Poser library and I'm back in business? I downloaded TextWrangler - thanks. R

Never Give Up!

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Tue, 28 November 2006 at 3:13 PM

I've used displacement mapping several times to get fur-like effects. A good bitmap, giving the right sort of hair pattern, helps a lot, although noise and the like can do a good job. Some discussion towards the end of this thread

ominousplay ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 12:31 AM

I found it easy to edit the cr2 file and replace all texture references to another, a lot faster than copy and paste.  But I did find that I had to do it several times to get all instances... it missed several the first time around.  While it made for an interesting texture - half and half in some areas of the models - it was not what I wanted.  I'm rendering 3 wolves now, all different textures - white, gray, and black - all furred.  Hope I don't kill my poor eMac.

Thanks for all the help.
R

Never Give Up!

Nvlonewulf ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 2:55 AM

Personally I hope this discussion opens the possibility of the furry dog project's return. Hopefully Tiny can work out all the problems with it.

Wow, rendering three at the same time.  My poor machine won't even open a pz3 file if it has a furry cat in it.  I don't even want to imagine what it would do if I asked it to render a group of furry critters.

At any rate, Thank you Tiny for making the furry cat possible!

The only thing I don't procrastinate is procrastinating. That I do right away.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 4:01 AM

Lot of good info here.  Sharen

Tiny ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 6:22 AM

ominousplay, the editor program missing some textures - I have not had this problem with the app I'm using. It doesn't have anything to do with the Poser file. Make sure the cursor is at the very top of the document when starting the 'Search and Replace' routine.

Would you mind trying the 'Calculate dynamic hair' (when your render is done) on one of your wolfs? Select 'Animation > Recalculate Dynamics > All Hair' and let it calculate the hair for the current pose. This is one of the situations where I run into problems with my dogs.

Nvlonewulf**, thank you for the kind words! Made my day. 😄

Try this when having problems with the pz3 file loading:
Poser saves a path to .dyn files and when loading the pz3 file Poser looks through every instanse of this path to find the .dyn file. This takes eons of times and sometimes it just won't open at all. There is a work around for this (if you have the patients) - open the pz3 file in a text editor. Search for 'hairCacheFile' and delete the whole line. It should be as many as the hair groups on the animal, for the cat I think it is 48 or something like that. Save the file and I'm sure the cat will load, and faster. 😄

I would really love to be able to get the dog "behaving and stable" for all systems. I have remade it approx. 10 times with different approaches, styling and all, but it will not be stable enough to release.
Come to think, I have just cleaned out my computer, formatted and everything is fresh so maybe I should give it another try. On the other hand one shouldn't have to format and clear the computer to be able to use the dog. :blink:

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 7:51 AM

You guys with the patience to mess with hair/fur in Poser6 are made out of iron.  I hate working with cloth bad enough as it is, trying to work with dynamic hair is just a tooth grinding experience.  Golfclap  ;)

My Freebies

ominousplay ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:23 AM

file_360978.jpg

Tiny, I'll calculate this afternoon. Haven't tried yet. Here is a render - 1 hour on firefly middle of the way settings. R

Never Give Up!

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:08 AM

file_360986.jpg

Or using displacement maps, with a quick and dirty modification to show you can adjust where you 'grow' fur. This took 30 seconds to render on 'Final' settings

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:30 AM

And closer in - took 1 minute this time :-)

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:32 AM

file_360988.jpg

Oops file too big,

ominousplay ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:45 AM

Looks great! I am impressed with the time you are saving. Are you using a bump map to modify where you "grow" the hair?

Never Give Up!

tbird10 ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:55 AM

file_360990.jpg

Essentially yes, just simply combining the bump map with a noise node with a simple math multiply

Nvlonewulf ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 2:51 AM

Thanks Tiny for letting me know how to open those files!  Very handy to know.

The only thing I don't procrastinate is procrastinating. That I do right away.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 3:51 AM

Wow, these are wonderful.  Sharen

tbird10 ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 6:01 AM

file_361071.jpg

After some tidying up of the settings

For short fur this probably produces as good results as the hair room for a fraction of the render time. Not so good for longer fur though :-)

BastBlack ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 12:55 AM

Thanks, I will try that! bB

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 4:56 AM

I must be doing something wrong, mine comes out way to light for the texture map, and too long.  I like the effect you just did third10, can you post your settings.  Sharen

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 6:27 AM

file_361177.jpg

Sharen, no problem.

Here are the material settings

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 6:29 AM

And here is the 'bump' map used to modify the noise. I then used here a setting of 0.05 on the displacement channel, a larger value gives longer 'fur'.

tbird10 ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 6:30 AM

file_361178.jpg

With the bump map this time, I must not press 'reply' too quickly :-)

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 7:19 AM

Thank you so much, I will give that a try.  Sharen

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 12:41 PM

Poser 6 has a node which does subsurface scattering (fastscatter, I think), and that might be worth adding to give the effect of light passing through the fur.

ominousplay ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 11:11 PM

I calculated the fur for a singel frame and it took about 3 min. I then created a 30 frame run annimation and calculated, it crashed after 15 min. So, I think it is okay for still but maybe too much for my computer. I am happy to post the furred figure, but don't know the rules behind posting - I am using MilDog and Poser6, with loads of fur props. Guess I'll have to host it on my one site. This will have to happen tomorrow. R

Never Give Up!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 3:49 AM

file_361358.jpg

This is my furry friend.  I love this part, playing with this now, I think everything should have fur....LOL.

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 4:28 AM

Sharen, that is very cute! 😄

ominousplay, thanks for trying the dynamic calculation.

For distributing the dog you'll need an encoder program that asks for the Mildog object. For example RTE encoder for PC I'm not sure what is available for Mac though, you'll have to do a search or create a new post asking about it.
Be sure to mention in the products info about the crash when calculating hair in animation.

Did you style the fur or is it pointing straight out from the body?

ominousplay ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 12:05 PM

Sams3D - what a cute outfit. I saw those costumes some time ago, but lost track. Do yo still know where to pick those up? Tiny, I thought I could just post the .pzz file and anyone with MilDog and expansion pack could use it. Am I wrong? I think I pulled the hair back, but didn't style too much. R

Never Give Up!

SAMS3D ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 12:38 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4628

You can pick them up at Daz, here is the link for Matt and Maddie, I am using the original costumes that were made for the Mil Kids.  I can't seem to find them anymore at Daz, I assume they are no longer selling the older ones.  Not sure, you will need to ask, they were I think UD Costumes, and audacity had some great textures for them.

Sharen

Tiny ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 7:35 PM

ominousplay, below is the general principle from DAZ when it comes to characters and distributing them. It says Victoria but it goes for the other characters too.

HERE is a link to a thread about distributing. There are other threads too but I think you get the idea.  😄

Characters and Scenes - CR2 and PZ3 files**

A Victoria 3 CR2 file containing -by means of Delta Injection or otherwise- DAZ created morphs cannot be distributed, whether the DAZ morphs are included in whole or in part, or in combination with some custom morph element. PZ3 files created involving such characters will also contain this data, and so cannot be redistributed either. [A PZ3 file contains the entire CR2 file(s)]

Because Victoria 3 CR2s are only distributable without DAZ morphs included (even derivative morphs), character add-on creators must rely on the end user to own and inject these morphs themselves, or create a readScript file to inject the morph(s) for them. [See methods of distribution below]

DAZ maintains a policy that allows the distribution of most products' CR2 files in order to facilitate the creation of complimentary products by 3rd party developers, as described above. For products with non-distributable CR2 files, DAZ provides a distributable version of the CR2 for this purpose.

However, as always, the content of DAZ's CR2 (and other) files remain our proprietary data, and the use of this data in the creation of derivative, competitive products is prohibited. In the case of our human figures this means that the CR2 data may be used freely for the purpose of creating figure add-ons (such as clothing, etc.), but may not be used for the purpose of creating another humanoid figure, which could compete with the original. Please note that Geometry contained in the OBJ files may not be used to create any derivative model, add-on or otherwise.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.