Wed, Sep 18, 6:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 9:46 am)

Subject: Please explain Matchmover uses and limits

joemccarron ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 8:45 AM · edited Mon, 22 July 2024 at 10:26 PM

I am relatively new to 3d and have only spent some time making Animations in poser.  I have absolutely no experience or knowledge in modeling.   That said I am wondering what Matchmover can do.  Specifically:

1)Can matchmover easilly create 3d high resolution models of anything I can video tape? 
1a)If so why would someone want to model there own  realistic models anymore?  
1b)If not what are the limits?

2)Can I apply the textures of matmover models to other models?

3)I noticed that when the video is shot it usually goes about a 90 degree angle.  Will it work if you go all the way around an object?

Any information or thoughts on the forseeable uses and limits of this software would be greatly appreciated.

CobraEye ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:20 AM · edited Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:22 AM

My biggest problem with matchmover is that once the movie is in, vue can not make the shadows for the 3d objects so as to blend the 3d objects with the video.  Of course this can be done in compositing programs, but it should be done in the 3d program.

Max, Maya, & Lightwave all have Matte Shadows so this can easily be achieved.

Vue does not.

As far as I know, a matte shadow is an invisible object that can still receive shadows.  Even though vue has all these choices for receive shadows & cast shadows it still can not do this.

If you wach the demo matchmover on the e-on site, there will be a shadow from the 3d object.  From what I know, this shadow was done separately in vue, and was put together in a composite program like After Effects.

However, matte shadows could easily be implemented in vue if the programmers decided it was necessary. 

Maybe vue 7 Inf will have it.

To answer your question: no, matchmover can not make 3d objects.  It blends 3d objects with video to make the illusion that the 3d objects are in the video.  Shadows are a big part of this illusion. This is why vue should have matte shadows.

joemccarron ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:21 AM

one more question can I use special deal matchmover sold for $150 with V5i or only with v6i?

thanks

joemccarron ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:35 AM

Here are some tutorials that I think deal with that issue.

http://www.esnips.com/web/MatchMover

joemccarron ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for your response.  Matchmover then is sort of like a photo backgorund with some 3d elements built in?   Is there any type of modelling going on or is it just like the photo backgrounds? 

AFter I matchmove the video can I then take different angle with my vue cameras with the scene it creates?  Or am I stuck with the angles and movement I used to origially do the matchmoving?

Sorry I'm so dense on this.

servo ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:57 AM

Matchmover isn't designed to be a photo-modeller, it's a "match mover"... in the industry, this means taking real-world film or video footage, tracking a large number of 2D points on that moving image, and the using the data from those 2D tracks to mathematically compute a "virtual camera"  that closely approximates what the "real world" camera that took the background footage was like in terms of position and movement.

This is useful to have because once you have a matchmoved "virtual camera", you can then add rendered 3D objects of your own that will seem to be in perfect synch with moving backround footage.   You would most likely use it when attempting a special effects shot merging foreground non-real 3D object(s) with a real-world moving image background.
Without a proper matchmove, your fake foreground objects would "float" ... not moving in proper synch with the motion present in the background footage.

You provide the models and the rendering engine of your own, usually through a package like Maya, Max, Lightwave, Vue, etc.  What matchmover provides is an amazingly good 2D tracker and 3D camera calculation for them. 

joemccarron ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 12:50 PM

Ok
Thank you for the responses and the links.  I think I have a much better handle on this now.

jpiazzo ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 6:19 PM

At 149.00 it is one HELL of a deal - if nothing else!

joemccarron ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 9:18 PM

Yes I did end up getting it.  It wasn't what I had thought at first, but it does seem like it will be a great tool/toy.   

airolo ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 12:18 PM

Well, this sidegrade deal seems something quite out of reality...
Can you tell me where you did find it ?
I work with SynthEyes, which is a wonderful challenger... but MatchMover et this price !
I really wait youe answer !

jpiazzo ( ) posted Tue, 26 December 2006 at 6:24 PM

Over at e-on - keep in mind, however (I believe) that it can only be used with Vue-6 Infinite. 
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

I also think that the offer expires soon.

JP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.