Sat, Sep 21, 9:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Cross Platform Question (Bryce, Rhino, Poser, D|S) And It's a bit LONG

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 9:09 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 9:01 AM

file_360953.jpg

Here's what I've done so far:

Modelled tutu in Rhino
Modelled shoes in Rhino
Saved them as obj

Imported the tutu and shoes as obj into Poser and
Fitted them to the House Mouse
Parented the tutu to the Mouse's abdomen
Parented the shoes to the individual feet
I saved the Poser file
I also tried to individually texture the tutu and shoes
I saved the Poser file again

Then, I exported the entire posed character as a single obj file and took it into Bryce.

I tried importing it into DAZ Studio, but it would not import by the way .... nor would the saved Poser file open in DAZ

So, I'm in Bryce .... I ungroup everything and find that the tutu and shoes are in there as a single mesh (called Preview 1 for what it's worth). The Mouse is also mostly a single mesh, which causes me retexturing problems.

Note that generally, when I export the Mouse from DAZ as an obj, I can bring him/her into Bryce and ungroup, which usually causes the mouse arm, leg, and body to break into separate meshes that I can texture individually.

So, since I can't break mousie up in Bryce, I try taking the dressed mousie back into Rhino. I find that in Rhino, I can ungroup and explode both the tutu and the shoes off of the posed mousie and regroup them. However, while parts of mousie will break apart, mousies arms and legs will not .... somehow they are now single meshes.

So, what the heck am I doing wrong?? I would think that I would be able to keep mousie as his/her individual parts in Poser, smart prop the clothing and have it export as individual meshes.

It's a pain in the rear having the shoes and tutu be the same mesh because I want to texture the tutu as being semi-transparent, but the shoes should be opaque. And, I can’t tweak the rotation of the tutu without moving the shoes.

HELP HELP HELP!!!

Could be worse, could be raining.

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 9:19 PM

file_360958.jpg

This is the render that comes out in Poser .... so I know I've got the shoes and tutu textured separately.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 9:29 PM

I think Poser can handle texturing different material groups within a single mesh. I don't believe Bryce can preserve that.
Do you get same results when you export as 3ds?  I don't know all the details of import export off the top of my head, but I seem to have better luck with 3ds exports.

Also, do you use direct interaction between DAZ and Bryce (The DAZ button in Bryce), or do you actually create an OBJ out of DAZ and import into Bryce?

When doing original export out of Rhino, I probably wouldn't have put all of the objects in one file, but have tutu in one, and shoes in another. That way (I think) they come across as separate meshes in Poser.

I'm not completely confident I'm right on this stuff, I'm sort of vaguely remembering a few instances where I was battling with similar things. Maybe this gives you some ideas....

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 10:17 PM

I haven't tried exporting or importing in 3ds.  I'll try that next.

I've been creating an obj file in DAZ and then importing it into Bryce.  I actually had better results with that.

When I created the objects in Rhino, I exported each one out separately (tutu and each shoe separately) and I imported each one separately into Poser.  They each show up as a separate prop.

It's very frustrating.  I would think that I could just create the props, smart prop them and then export it into Bryce.  I wish I knew what the big deal was.

Grrrrrrrrr.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 10:28 PM

when you export from poser , select each prop and save it as a seperate obj file

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2006 at 10:51 PM

OK .... I tried exporting it as 3ds, dxf, and lwo.  The 3ds file would not read .... I kept gettin an i/o error.  The dxf file came through with a few pieces missing.  The lwo was really scrambled.

I will try exporting each prop as a separate obj file next.  Probably tomorrow.  I'm beat.  I had no idea that getting Poser to work with Bryce would be so hard!!!

Realmling ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 12:14 AM

If you have separate material zones set up for each object/part you want textured differently, then you should be fine with the obj file in Bryce. I've taken in multiple figures from Poser to Bryce before and the only thing I found tedious was setting up the textures as needed.

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:31 AM

The shoes have a separate texture from the tutu in Poser.  It's not making any difference when I import into Bryce.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:43 AM

What version of bryce are you using?  What version of Studio?

What you want used to work fine in Bryce...but when daz added studio in it didn't work as well for some reason...i don't know how much they've changed this bryce.

I still use Grouper to import to bryce 5.5.  That way I get all the pieces still.  I don't if I use DAZ Studio to import.

Tirjasdyn

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 10:12 AM

Attached Link: My Home Page

1) Make sure that you gave the tutu and shoes appropriate material names in Rhino. 2) Check the tutorials at my home page (see link).

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 10:42 AM

Ah, well, I started reading your tutorial page, and I noticed this comment "there is a bug in Poser 5 SP4 which seriously screws up obj exports."

I wonder if that could be part of the problem. I have Poser 5 sp4.  Wonder what would happen if I upgraded to 6 or 7 (when it comes out).

I will bookmark and study the tutorial today.  Thanks so much for the input, and for taking the time to write what looks like a well thought out tutorial.

rickymaveety ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:19 AM

Read the tutorial.  I think I see where the problem lies.  The shoes and tutu both likely have a "Preview" designation for their texture.

This is a great tutorial.  Must reading for any newbie to Bryce .... whether or not they plan to use Poser.  Your section on lighting is great ... simple, but great.

Thanks again.

Phantast ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 6:54 PM

Thanks for your appreciation!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.