Wed, Sep 18, 5:14 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: DSLR options 800 or less

viper ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 10:37 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 12:54 PM

Well I just got my Fuji s5200 and its the Best Point and shot I have ever used. I planned on using it for awhile then getting a DSLR next summer/fall time frame but it looks like I will be able to get one alot sooner, more like this comming January. 

I want to make sure I get the best bang for my buck so the next month and a half will be focused on research.

one Camera has caught my eye and thats the Olympus Evolt 500 2 lens kit. Has anyone used this camera and would you reccomend it to a Hobby photographer looking to step up his game?

Thanks, Sean

fotovizions ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 11:06 PM

If you really wanted to step up your game you should consider looking at one of the "prosumer" DSLR's .. like a Rebel XTi kit. It may be more than your budget, but it may be a better investment.

Cameras like that are top-sellers for a reason.

Personally, I don't think you say, "What's the best DSLR for $800?"

If you're going to research cameras, find the best camera that meets you wants, needs and will help you advance your skills ... find the best deal and try to afford that camera.

girsempa ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 11:30 PM · edited Fri, 01 December 2006 at 11:33 PM

file_361150.jpg

Yes, I can certainly recommend the E-500. I've been using that combination for 5 months now, and it is one of the best cameras on the market in the prosumer category, especially considering the excellent value for money of the 2 lens kit. The kit will give you an effective focal length of 28 to 300 mm (recalculated in the old 36mm format). The 40-150mm lens may well be the very best kit lens around. I have to say that I was a little unhappy about the lack of close-up or macro capabilities... The closest focusing range of the 14-45mm is about 26cm, and 150cm for the 40-150. I've been thinking about buying a good macro lens, but didn't have the budget for it. This week I bought the Olympus EX-25 extension tube for 140 Euro; and I was just totally amazed. I can now focus in as close as 1cm with the 14-45, and 2cm with the 40-150... just awesome. It does require manual focusing on these lenses, which makes it not quite as handy as a genuine auto-focus macro lens, but I'm already more than happy with it... and if I ever decide to buy a macro lens, I can still use the extension tube with it to get even greater magnification. The Olympus Zuiko Digital lenses (about 17-19 lenses in their gamma) rank amongst the very best... but they can be quite expensive. Sigma, another lens manufacturer, already has 11 lenses for the Olympus E-system cameras; Leica/Panasonic has a couple... hopefully many more will follow. The accompanying example is shot with the 40-150mm at 65mm, f4.0, at 1/250s. No postworking (except resizing). You can see some more examples in my gallery; the last two were shot with the EX-25 extension tube. Good luck with the choosing..! ;o))

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

viper ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 9:14 AM

Thanks for the replys, the rebel was anotehr camera I was looking at and considering. I have never used a Cannon Digital camera at all and when I was research for a better PnS cannon had some really bad reviews maybe I will look at the rebel a bit more. Thanks again and I mainly put the 800 limit in there so I didnt have anyone start reccomending 1400 and up camera's I will be willing to pay more for a better long run product.

Radlafx ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 7:23 PM

Attached Link: CES

SInce you're waiting for January to get a cam then you might wanna wait for the CES. Jan. 8-11 2007. The PMA is after that. For now you could go with the Canon rebel XTi.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.