Sat, Sep 21, 6:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Constructive Criticism

Kristanene ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 3:52 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:27 PM

file_361009.jpg

I haven't been active on this site in a while, but I always find that it's wonderful for constructive criticism.  As it seems that people aren't leaving as many comments in the gallery as they used to, I thought I would post this here instead.  I'm starting up a portrait studio in my home, because I much prefer working with people over objects, and I would like some feedback of any sort on this shot.  What I've done right, what I've done wrong, your thoughts, etc.  I would really really appreciate this everyone!  Thanks so much!

Krista G.

girsempa ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 6:07 PM

Shall I be the first..? This shot has some potentially good elements. However I think they don't come out very well due to some points that I'll try to explain. You have the baby and the supporting hands as main focus points. Although the hands seem to be in a perfectly logical position, I have a feeling that they are somewhat on the wrong side of the baby... because the baby is looking to the right, but there's nothing left on the right side to support the composition in the direction that the baby's looking at. Other thing is the lighting. Lighting can fill an image, support the composition and guide the viewer's eye... Here, the lighting seems to come very evenly from the front, leaving no dynamic shadow/light distribution on the subject itself. A bit more light from above and less from down under would keep the focus more on the main subject, and in the good direction, that is in the space between the baby and the (absent) supporting person. And I still have the feeling that the 'missing person' is actually really missing in the composition... I mean, where is the baby looking..? I believe that the viewer wants to see the subject of the baby's attention... If your main focus was on the hands and the baby, and you didn't want to include the other person, it would help if the baby wasn't looking in the exact opposite direction... Just some thoughts...

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

babuci ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 9:47 PM

Great points Geert....I agree. I am looking this shot and I have a sense a baby not comfortable in this situation. I don't feel a conenction between bab and Dad.  His hand doesn't send a message to me this little bundle is his everything. I don't feel a careness from him. 
Like your avatar, you kiss that little darling like she is your sparkle ( of course she is) a way you holding her hand that soft mothery touch.  I like tattoos...it is draw my attention to it more than a baby. BTW she is cute. Hope I wasn't too harsh. Good base image need a bit of a boost. 

seeya  Tunde

Gora ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 1:31 AM

Good points both of you... I dont usually like handing out criticism, as you never know how someone is going to take it.... so Id rather not comment than hurt someones feelings... However seen as you asked :) Im not sure what lighting youre using (or have access to) but I would have lit the scene a little differently (not saying yours is wrong... different folks...different strokes) Light the scene from the front with a flash head & softbox... about a metre and a 1/2 away. A white reflector slightly behind dads back.... and shine a continuos halogen spot (with a grid/honeycomb) from about 3 metres back (on baby's side) at about a 60 degree angle  onto a dark backdrop (to give the scene a little depth)
I think this would light the subjects adequately (leaving a slight cast shadow) and add some depth to the scene (which alows you to play a little with the DOF a little more)

I agree with Tunde with the composition though... alittle more of dad in the crop :)
Otherwise I think the scene has a lot of potential...and its fab in B+W.

"If toast
always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what
happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Steven Wright

Kristanene ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 9:23 AM

Great points.  I knew the lighting was a little off..not technically wrong, but boring, because, for now, I have a pretty makeshift setup until I can afford to actually buy a professional setup.  I'm using 2 floods for a main and a fill and bouncing them off white walls (it's a small room), and a spot for a backdrop light, but I think I had actually moved the spot in this one because it was casting a funny shadow.  As with the pose, I was actually only going for dad's hands holding the baby, but I do suppose I should've had him turn Xander a bit more toward the camera.  He loves his daddy so much that it's hard for me to get his attention to turn toward the camera though...well that, and the fact that he's only 6 weeks old, so he doesn't exactly listen well yet.
:-)  I was thinking of experimenting with one cute pose that I'd thought of today, with laying him on top of a teddy bear and hopefully getting him to smile..he's been smiling more lately.  But for the next time I try shots like this, a white reflector behind dad's head is definitely a good idea, and something I hadn't really considered.  Oh, and Babuci...sorry, but, he's a little boy, not a girl. :-D  My husband was a little rigid in this pose because I had him in an uncomfortable position, so making him more comfortable should relax his hands and improve the shot.  Thanks all!

babuci ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 5:29 PM

Sorry sorry sorry Krista ! Kiss for baby boy!    And hope you ganna show us more of your progress!

seeya  Tunde

Kristanene ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 6:44 PM

Hehe. No problem Tunde. :-) He is awfully pretty for a boy.  Of course, I wouldn't be biased or anything. ;-)

Boofy ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 9:42 PM

Hi Krista,

I like the idea that you are portraying. I am not really into portrature and have no idea of technicalities or lightting, i just think that the baby looked uncomfortable, I suspect the base of the dad's wrist had his little shoulder at an awkward angle (just the way the baby's arm is pushed up). The fact that daddy was a bit tense probably translated itself to the bub as well.

I personally think the straight fingers of the dad looked out of place. Maybe cradling the little one a bit more would have relaxed the baby too.

I love the B&W composition is is so sweet.

Dianthus ( ) posted Mon, 04 December 2006 at 2:21 AM

Hiya Krista,
Gorgeous baby and congratulations. As for the photo i love your idea. I agree about the lighting. But i know the others talk about having the dad in photo more. But i love the idea of croping him out all together. Next time just get him to hold the baby at an angle. Slightly facing the camera and maybe have his fingers covering the babys head.
Keep doing this and experiment .Also  i would love to see more shots.
Chris

Kristanene ( ) posted Wed, 06 December 2006 at 8:58 PM

Thank you all so much for your help. I really appreciate it.  I'll definitely keep practicing, since I'm starting up my own studio. :-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.