Sat, Sep 21, 6:34 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: The Party's Over-Poser 7-Server Down

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:28 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 6:34 AM

12/11/06

The songs of Alleluia were cut short a few minutes ago, when the servers for Content Paradise went down. It looks like the same DNS problem they had before. I did not share their confidence about being ready. I hate to be right.

No telling how many people got their download terminated before completion. Mine was cut off at about 805K of the huge file. CP counts attempts to download instead of completed downloads. I will have to get a reset. It took me weeks to get Poser 5 to download. Sigh....

Download accelerators will not work with CP's website download software. Some one told me that some download managers allow a download to be resumes without restarting from scratch. Can anyone tell me of a good freeware download manager that works with CP's website. I would appreciate the help on this.

Thanks,

LMK

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

psyvampiress ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:31 PM

mine stopped at 5% :( 

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:34 PM

they may have fixed it so that download "managers" also don't work with their servers. e.g. explorer, netscape et al. somebody give 'em a call to confirm that.

ialora ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:50 PM

No big surprise, but at least they didn't release on a Friday and then go home for the weekend like Daz has done.   I'm sure things will be back up soon.  I'm still glad I punked down the extra $9.95 for the pysical shipment though. 

Irene-

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:52 PM · edited Mon, 11 December 2006 at 2:56 PM

12/11/06

One will have to call them, you can't contact them through the Internet.

I get a failure to find because of a DNS problem on my computer here at work.

LMK

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:06 PM

Got my order completion notice, sitting at My Stuff looking at the Poser 7 downloads, but do you think that I'm insane? ;)

I was pretty quick on V4 and only download 1/3 of the Pro Bundle before DAZ's servers went.  Only 500MB.

This is ~2GB.  I'll wait it out, tyvm.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:07 PM

Yep, Times like this I'm glad I ordered the boxed one!!
I got stung with the Vue6Inf download!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:16 PM

I'm sticking with ordering boxed versions of software.

But......I wouldn't say that the party's over.  It's just been delayed a bit.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:28 PM

All right, a show of hands, how many were even notified of the download.
I have been waiting patiently for weeks and still nothing. I even emailed asking if it was still on for today along with my order number. Nothing, nada...zilch!
I'm a bit emotional right now

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:31 PM

When did you order it? 

I expect it will take them awhile to get to my download becasue I only ordered on the 22nd of nov.

Tirjasdyn

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:38 PM

Just around the same time as you apparently.
But these are electronic downloads, not paper. I would have imagined that the download would be by area, as in Central then Western Europe then Eastern Americas.

adh3d ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:42 PM

To download Poser 5 free edition, I use Flasget ( It is shareware) to donwload it without a problem.

adh3d website

Abraham ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:43 PM · edited Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:44 PM

I'm using Reget Deluxe and it resumes fine on e frontier server. I don't know the limitation of the trial version but maybe would be the right time to give it a test ride :)

Ab

Apparently there's a freeware version by the same author called Reget Free, maybe it would work too.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:45 PM

Tirjasdyn - I'm the same as you, 22 Nov. Damn, I'm not in work tonight, I really could have done with downloading it soon. I presume there's no chance of it for sometime now........sulk......

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:46 PM · edited Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:47 PM

Uhm, my download is currently at 79% and still going strong.

edit: also, it said it'd take an hour and 10 minutes, but it's only taken about 30 minutes. I'm on cable tho, not dsl or dial-up. I think dial-up users can hang it up. At least for the next week or so.

~E.D.

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:50 PM

They said in order of orders recieved.  Shrug..this my game night...I won't be home till 10...maybe I'll get to start a download and see if I get it by the morning.

but probably not :)

If not it I'll tweak the gathering on the skin shader I'm working on for jesse.

Tirjasdyn

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:54 PM

my box order lookin' pretty nice right now. working on a non-poser big project anyway, this will keep me in my place.

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:57 PM

Yup, sigh!
I guess I'll just head on over to blender.org and see what new build is available!
And my day started out so good too!

Channing ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:58 PM

I'm way behind everyone else. I just ordered this past weekend. But I have a question. I can't seem to figure out how to register on the CP forums? It says to click on the 'register' link near the top of the screen and I don't see that. I normally use Opera, so I switched to IE to check if it might be the browser, but it's still not there. I'm thinking that I will probably get my notice sometime next week. I can be patient. :)

Darboshanski ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:24 PM

I ordered 21 NOV so I know I'll be at the back of the bus. Which is okay cause I really don't want to be caught up in the server carnage.

My Facebook Page

bluecity ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:28 PM

I tried it couple of times with just  IE and Firefox, but it faulted out going no more than 50 MB into it and doing a top speed of 25KB; tried one of those download managers, and it's been flying along  (over 1GB now) at  290KB without a problem.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:29 PM

Glad I chose a physical shipment. No matter how prepared they were, NO server can handle
hundreds, or maybe even thousands for all I know, downloads at the same time. Especially not
with such massive files. Did no one consider waiting a day or three for the feeding frenzy to die
down? I knew the servers would go down, just not that it would be THIS fast. :(

Starkiller

Circumvent ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:31 PM

Well I'm sure everyone is frustrated with EF.  I just checked my E-Mail and clicked on both links and bingo, UNABLE TO CONNECT message popped up.  Well I'm off work so have a great night everyone and keep me posted. 

Adrian

Klutz ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:34 PM

Just a thought....

Shouldn't they really deal with the folks whose money they have already had as a priority...

I mean folks who ordered via Paypal?

Klutz :0/

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

operaguy ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:34 PM

I agree we should all not have expectation that a massive number of people could download this huge file load and not affect the servers. We shouldn't be too frustrated with E-F. They perhaps could have rented mirror servers for the occasion, but with no normal need, it would not be a called-for expense, really.  Just my opinion.

ialora ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 4:46 PM

I ordered just last week and had a P7 release notice waiting this morning.  You might check your spam filter if you still haven't received a notice.

Irene-

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:04 PM

Thanks ialora, just what I need to hear! The day is done here, and still no notification.
I checked Content Paradise, and I do have a link, but disabled.

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:06 PM

I thought they were doing this in order sequence, am I wrong about this?

efstarlet ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:18 PM

Quote - I thought they were doing this in order sequence, am I wrong about this?

No, you are correct.  We said we would begin processing preorders today.  Windows physical orders were released for shipment, but will be shipped in order and may take a few days.  New emails will be sent with tracking numbers when they ship.   Everyone else will receive an email confirmation when their orders are processed.  This may also take some time.  If you didn't order until later and do not receive an email immediately, please be patient and your download will be released later. 

Are you a Poser fan?  Show us on Facebook!

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:19 PM

At this stage I haven't received my notice for download and I ordered 18th Oct - seen some who ordered 13.Oct have been notified - but CP is down at moment - so I won't hold out a lot of hope just yet....

Hope that gives some of you an idea of where you are in the queue,,,,,

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive.
Robert A. Heinlein

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz   3.50 GHz
64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:24 PM

12/11/06

"The Party's Over" is a song title, which probably dates me. I know my party balloon deflated when the download stopped. Sooner or later we will all get Poser 7, then we can celebrate. I too suspected this would happen, and am not surprised, just disappointed.

I can get through for about 5 minutes out of an hour, so it must be a bandwidth problem.

Krazik from CP says that there are 99 download attempts allowed. That isn't as bad as the 10 that were allowed for Poser 5. I still think that completed downloads should be counted, not started downloads. There are software packages out that can count this. At least RC will not be run to death resetting download allowances.

LMK

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:35 PM

I can understand that "physical" shipments are being sent in order received, but it appears that there is no rhyme or reason to the notification for e-downloads.

Stelwire ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:41 PM

Starlet, thanks for your honesty.  this is frustrating for everyone - keep in good cheer.  These things are very hard to predict - when you build up excitement - you get excitement.  Now is the let down cause the excitement wasn't met.

I tried for 10 days to get Poser 5 and it was always bogged - eventually I just gave up.

I hope that P7 is not the same - I paid for it in October and will indeed download it.

Given this - I hope that it is worth the wait.

Until then Vue 6 here I come!!

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:45 PM

This sort of makes a good case for torrents.....

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

Klutz ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 5:58 PM

Oh yes........ :0/

I think I may be OK to go away on holiday!!

LOL!

********************************************************************************************************************

Life is a beta.

In faecorum semper, solum profundum variat.

psyvampiress ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:16 PM

I received mine 5 hours ago, and still can't download it. :( It keeps stoping and unloading what it has downloaded. So there is a poser 7 files on my desktop, but I can't unzip it 

Cheers ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:16 PM

Quote - This sort of makes a good case for torrents.....

Luxology done this when they released Modo 201. Torrents are a great solution, but you will always get users who automatically think torrents = warez...which is silly. As long as the software manufacturer trusts their users and people don't close their connections down as soon as they have downloaded, then torrents seem the ideal solution...both for company and customer. The company saves on  bandwidth bills and the customers saves on download time.

Alas, it seems only forward thinking companies  realise the potential and benefits of torrents :0/

Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

stormchaser ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:18 PM

This makes total sense, I wonder if they would consider it for future downloads?

StevieG1965 ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:28 PM

Hey, I'm just happy my order has been processed!  I ordered mine on the 2nd and this is early christmas for me with that alone.  

Have patients everyone, the wait is over for the release.  It's just going to take a little time to get it home, that's all...but, it's almost there.

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:36 PM

Quote - This makes total sense, I wonder if they would consider it for future downloads?

I somehow doubt it as I fear cheers hit the nail on the head -***"Torrents are a great solution, but you will always get users who automatically think torrents = warez."..

But it is a shame to think that if there were a few seeds around and torrent - there wouldn't be such an issue as we are now seeing.

***Guess we can dream.....

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

bluecity ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:38 PM

I got it! Installing now! Woohooo!

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:48 PM

I am curious though.
Didn't the announcement state :
"..

**As a special thank you to our preorder customers, we will begin filling your preorders for Poser 7 Special Edition on Monday, December 11th!
Windows users, we will begin filling your preorders Monday morning PST.

Windows electronic download preorders will start being delivered Monday morning PST. We have secured additional server capacity for this release. However, if you have trouble accessing your download immediately, please be patient and try again later..."
So where is the extra server capacity?

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:01 PM

Actually, from readin the forums here it seems they have extra server capacity.  The proof is in how some people have lost their connection and recieved DNS errors while others have completed their downloads.  If there was a server crash and they were only using one, then no one would be completing their D/Ls.

Damn, I knew I should have ordered the box set...

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:06 PM

I'm pretty sure that I preordered on the very first day and my dl is taking forever.  Right now it's not even connecting  :(

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:06 PM

Quote - I am curious though.
Didn't the announcement state :
".. **As a special thank you to our preorder customers, we will begin filling your preorders for Poser 7 Special Edition on Monday, December 11th!
Windows users, we will begin filling your preorders Monday morning PST.

Windows electronic download preorders will start being delivered Monday morning PST. We have secured additional server capacity for this release. However, if you have trouble accessing your download immediately, please be patient and try again later..."
So where is the extra server capacity?

I'm not sure what is going on over there - can't even access the forums most of the time - I would have thoyught that even if there were issues with the downloads it still wouldn't have taken so much time to enable the download links.

I specifically asked on the forums what time they would commence and got out of bed accordingly so I'd be around when my "number came up" but here I am now some 6 hours or so since kickoff and it seems as though they haven't even made it to orders placed on the 18th October - I would hate to be someone who ordered last week....

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

nyguy ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:14 PM

I ordered my Nov 1st. I know of several people who had order after me and got their links to download but have not received mine.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

tastiger ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:25 PM

Quote - I ordered my Nov 1st. I know of several people who had order after me and got their links to download but have not received mine.

CP are claiming that isn't the case - but it does seem strange that the links for the 13th Oct were posted about 2 hours ago.

Surely it shouldn't take that long to activate the downloads?

I'd be happy if my links were enabled - I have no illusions about being able to download in one shot - I just like to see my links enabled.....

Robert A. Heinlein

64.0 GB (63.9 GB usable)
Geforce RTX 3060 12 GB
Windows 11 Pro

mykyl ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:28 PM

December the 2nd for me and no email here. Torrents are certainly the answer for situations like this.

Just mad. lol.

Mike R

servo ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:28 PM

Yeah, I really think it's pretty unrealistic to think they're doing this in the actual order that we placed our preorders.   I'm another who ordered fairly early and haven't heard a thing yet.

Instinct and anecdotal evidence here strongly suggest that theory is out the window already.  Now, whatever order they are doing this in... is anybody's guess.  I'm sure they're swamped and working overtime to stay on top of everything today, I can only imagine the hassles they're facing to get this going.

It would be nice, however if those of us who ordered the download would actually be able to download sometime before the shipped boxes arrive...

nyguy ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:35 PM

Right now I would be happy to at least get to the website to see if anything has changed in my stuff.

Poserverse The New Home for NYGUY's Freebies

makostail ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 7:41 PM

I too am on the east coast, and was expecting to be able to download it by now.
This is not a "..if you are not able to download immediately..."!?!?   I would like to download it period, or what was it worth pre-ordering it for?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.