Mon, Sep 9, 7:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 5:10 am)

Subject: A first for me............

ReBorne ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 7:35 PM · edited Sat, 17 August 2024 at 3:03 AM

Ok, the one thing I have never done here is come on recommending you guys to go to a site or check out a product or anything like that.  So, i guess after 5 or so years here, for me to do it the item would have to be pretty good, right?

RIGHT.

I've downloaded Sphere.  It changes the way Windows works - instead of having a flat desktop in front of you, it puts you inside a theoretical glass ball that has your icons on it, which you can spin around you and zoom in/out etc.  Your screens also get minimised ONTO the Sphere itself as images which you can change the size of, layer, rotate and stack, instead of just being nameless items on the task bar.

I used the trial version for less than 15 minutes before buying it....... yes, it is THAT good.  I'm up for work in the morning, but instead of going to sleep (it's 1:30am) I'm here telling you guys TRY IT.....  seriously.   Apart from the fact that it's time we stopped being Sheep for what Microsoft decide is good for us, this is what I think to be a much nicer, easier and more flexible alternative to the flat screens we all have.

(Oh, and I'm running a mere Pentium 4 laptop with 512mb memory and am VERY impressed with it's retention of speed and quality - you guys should get an even better experience on your equipment).

Ok, bed time for me.

Mike

What? oh, the link? yeah sure....... www.spheresite.com

p.s. As a techie advisor, I'll do my good bit and remind you that it's always a good idea to set a system restore point on your computer before installing any software that messes with your system, and ensure you have backups.  you should do that regularly anyways, just in case.  It happens, trust me....... I see too many cases of it.........

When you starve with a tiger, the tiger starves last.

TomDart ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 8:56 PM

So, this thing (haven't checked it out yet) doesn't take much ram to go?         TomDart.

PS. is it the fun of it or the real utility that got you to buy it?  Seems interesting.

gradient ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 9:19 PM

Hmmmm.....Inside a theoretical glass ball that spins around and around and around....I'm getting dizzzzzzzzzzzzy!...LOL!
Joking aside...it looks pretty cool...

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

3DGuy ( ) posted Sat, 09 December 2006 at 9:47 PM

I've played with 3D desktops and found they're not for me. It's always too clumsy. I usually get the feel they do the 3D cause they can, not because it's particularly handy.

But if it works for you.. go with it :)

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

danob ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 7:01 AM

Looks cool not sure if it is for me but will give it a go 

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

ReBorne ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 1:05 PM

Tom, for fun? You think I would do something just for fun? lol!!
Nope, this is a serious thing...... I have to be honest, coz I was so busy playing with it last night and I've been at work today I haven't actually checked out how much memory and/or processes it's burning, but it certainly doesn't seem much...... I haven't noticed any visible slowdown, and now I'm really getting used to it I'm actually diving between apps faster.

And I know it's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but I think we have to agree that we have to start looking at alternatives to what the unimaginative bozos at Microsoft are putting in front of us..... I mean, look at Vista compared to Win 95.... it looks jazzier and that's it.  It still works in the same confines of structure, and we HAVE to break free of that somehow......  I may just be lucky, but this totally suits my disorganised manner ;-)  I just can't wait to get back to my real computer to see how it runs with a little power......... oh, and for the time when we have Minority Report gloves that interface to it.....lol

(",)

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 1:37 PM

ExtremeTech  has a run down on the difference between these three, as well as their unique features. Between the the whole lot; 3B, Browse 3D, and SphereXplorer, none of them got a really good rating, so don't get rid of ole' two dimensional Firefox just yet. While we love 3D for games and some movies, we think that 3D browsers are a bit overkill and that for the near future it will just remain a sort of novelty. However, fifty rears from now is a whole other story, since we'll probably be living in a web browser by then. Words of chipchick.com

ReBorne ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 3:48 PM

Ah, I'm not talking about SphereXplorer, I didn't go for that - i went for the Desktop...... have to admit that the explorer didn't appeal massively..............  whereas my desktop is apt to be cluttered at times, and the 360' of extra space is really coming into it's own.  The more I play with it the better it's getting, and has to be my purchase of the year now.  Besides my plane tickets to the States of course. lol  (Wor Lass would kill me if I didn't say that....... he he he)
(",)

Valerie-Ducom ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 3:54 PM

WLW killed you yet :lol:

inshaala ( ) posted Sun, 10 December 2006 at 8:01 PM

i played with it and there were a few things which bugged me:

The "map" - you cant see where you are in that - a grid of a sphere is no map, all it does is clog up space on the desktop and provides no functional use (pulling it up big doesnt even show you much apart from a few white screens you left here and there which are indiscernable)

ctrl+w is the only way to "minimise" a screen onto the desktop - you would have thought they might be able to add another button to the top right to do that so you dont have to fiddle with keyboard shortcuts - lets face it - no-one goes for alt+f4 to close a window...

the movement of the sphere - i like the drag and pull manipulation of those objects and instinctively went for it only to find it was "reversed" to a click hold and "lead" approach with no option to change it.

the "move at edges" selection - you cant access the toolbar without moving your desktop.

I like the premise and everything but personally i think the novelty would wear off for me because of those four problems i have with it - give me a four screen (one above and two to either side of the primary) interface however and i might change my mind ;)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

ReBorne ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 8:27 AM

lol.... yeah, agree with a couple of the issues... didn't know about the CTRL+W though, I send it down through the Sphere icon in the icon tray if it's a maximised window, if it isn't (like when I have 4 MSN chats going at once) you just click in the 'sphere space' to do the same.....
The Map, agreed - only useful if you completely lose your way somewhere around the back of the sphere..... used it once when I stupidly used a plain colour with no grid.... dur.......
Move at edges they admit themselves is still clumsy and too fast at this stage, no doubt they'll sort that in the future....
btw, ye cheeky young whippersnapper, I often use ALT-F4!!!!! lol

One of the main reasons for my raving is because I'm still stuck on the piggin' laptop while in the UK, and it's massively easier for me with the finger pad......

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to check it out people, at least you didn't all say I should be sitting in a corner weaving baskets......... I go to work for insults like that........... ;-)

(",)

TwoPynts ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 3:07 PM

Looks pretty neat. Glad I am on a Mac so I don't have to give it a go and only have to sit back and appreciate the idea. :)

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

DJB ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:32 PM

What do I get...SphereXP or SphereXPlorer. Thik I will give it a try on my other PC, but see 2 downloads.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

inshaala ( ) posted Mon, 11 December 2006 at 6:34 PM

sphereXP - that is the one which gives you your desktop in 3d.... sphereXPlorer does the same to your internet browser (i think it only works with internet explorer or "IE")

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

Gora ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 2:59 AM

OT...for those who use Linux... you can do a similar sort of thing with it (for free) with the distro Ubunthu... I have no links though :( sorry...

"If toast
always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what
happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?"

Steven Wright

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.