Tue, Oct 22, 10:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Test: image protection method

girsempa ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:19 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 9:59 AM

file_362968.gif

I just read an article on image protection on the web. But I didn't come across this method. Is there anyone who can 'rip' this image..? It may be stupid, that's why it's a test... ;o))) (of course you can always make a screen capture)

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

gradient ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:28 PM

Good try...but I just copied it to my hard drive and opened it with Adobe ImageReady.
For your info Windows and PS would not open it....

Nice image BTW...I will now delete it from my drive though...LOL!

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

girsempa ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:37 PM · edited Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:39 PM

Your last name isn't The Ripper, is it..? ;o)) You're right... Damn! I didn't test ImageReady... That easy, huh... OK, test dismissed. Please folks, just move on :a_blush:

babuci ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:40 PM

Sorry same here, adobe opens it as any other file. 
Do you have plan "B" ?
seeya Tunde

gradient ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:41 PM

@girsempa....ROTFLMAO.....just call me Jack....the ripper...LOL!

In youth, we learn....with age, we understand.

nongo ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:42 PM

I tried every which way and whatever you did must be working great cause I couldn't view it with any programs !!!!! Now you must let us know what you've done here????  I think you're on to something good!!!!  Akemi

nongo ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:44 PM

I don't have ImageReady... so it worked on me... ;- )

girsempa ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 11:59 PM

Even if people will be able to open it somehow, won't it make them more aware that they are doing something illegal if they copy and use it elsewhere..? Still trying to find 'Plan B', Tunde ;o))

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:22 AM · edited Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:32 AM

Wouldn't open in PS7 or Irfanview for me...successful if they don't have CS I guess...better'n nuttin'...I should add I saved it as a ,bmp instead of a .gif, upon saving as a .gif I was able to open it in Irfan, and though I couldn't save it, I could extract all frames as it was a 2 frame .gif animation and it gave me the white copyrights notice page and the photo with title etc.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 2:44 AM

The people who are going to steal it are not too concerned if they are doing something illegal.It was very easy to get  even without Image Ready.
I find my images on peoples blogs, on other galleries but I gave up concerning myself.
 If you have a website and good stats you can find out who is  viewing them and have a visit from their location in many cases.
Best thing is if it bothers you, don't post any images you don't want  others to get. You can always take it as a compliment.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

ejn ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 4:21 AM

Hi,

It also opened OK in Microsoft Office Picture Manager - didnt even know I had that program.

I just went to Image>open with>and tried a few different options.

Doesn't help but thought I would mention it.  

On a more positive note I did try Macromedia Fireworks but it wouldnt open in that.

Eddie

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:22 AM

you did say to move on but thought you might want to consider what i just did:

saved as "all files" - opened in mspaint - then just saved as a png opened in PS and hey presto, your image...

that was just a first attempt too - so not sure if i even needed to save as "all files" nor if i needed to save as a png...

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

TwoPynts ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:18 AM

It is a good method Geert. It would only open the first frame in Photoshop, which only is the copyright info. Of course IR does open it, but it is a GIF which means reduced image quality too. Now combine that with a watermark somewhere in the image, and you have a decent theft deterrent. Posting it on your own website would give you more options like a javascript that would disable the right click or loading it up in image slices. But in an age where people can just make screen captures, most methods of protection are moot unless you have a large ugly watermark on a small image.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:34 PM · edited Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:45 PM

Javascript that disables rightclick is moot for firefox users like me. I hate it when pages disable the richtclick (I use it to navigate with mousegestures) so I told firefox webpages couldn't do that.

On your own page you could overlay a transparant gif over the image itself. Then if they rightclick->save as they only get a blank image. Although that wouldn't stop anyone with a decent browser really. In FF you just need to view the page info and under the media tab there's your image.

Basically anything that can be viewed can be ripped off.

edit: just did a test. Dragged the image from my browser to the desktop, opened it with acdsee and converted it to jpg. Gave me 2 files, one with the copyright, one with the real image. Seeing as you can batchconvert with acdsee it's a piece of cake to rip it.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

girsempa ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:48 PM

Yeah, almost all the protection methods (except watermarking) are webpage-based... I tried to look for an alternative image-based method. But all the readings say that none of the methods is totally safe... I was just thinking that the people who rip images, do this because they can't make these images themselves... so maybe they don't have the knowledge or the tools to work around these methods either... small consolation (who am I kidding) ;o))

Radlafx ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 12:43 AM

Preview opened it no problem (opened without copying to HD.) I was shown 2 images in the drawer. MAC osX 10.4.8

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

Melen ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:38 PM · edited Thu, 21 December 2006 at 8:40 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I find all the "protections" (short of watermarking) to be somewhat funny. All the attempts to use flash and such... Easiest method for ripping:

Take a screen shot, paste it into a Photoshop (or paint, or whatever) document. Unless it's watermarked, voila.

Edit: I stumbled acrossed this because I was trying to think of how I would protect my own images, once I'm good enough to need protecting, NOT because I'm a ripper. Just thought I'd clarify ::chuckle::

Personally I guess posting a smallish, watermarked, lower quality image is probably the best bet.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.