Sat, Sep 21, 5:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Tips needed

RJH ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 12:09 AM ยท edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 5:42 PM

file_168198.jpg

When shooting something as fast moving as this humming bird anybody got some tips on brightning up the picture?

Jack Casement ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 4:23 AM

file_168200.jpg

Hello RJH. I think this is your first visit so welcome. If you are using Photoshop it is very easy. Click on Image>Adjust>Levels. You will now see a Histrogram (like the outline of a mountain) and underneath it are three pointers. Click and drag to the left on the righ-hand pointer a little bit at a time which will brighten up your image. Dragging the left-hand pointer to the right will darken it, and you can use the middle pointer to try and recover any detail that is blocked out. I find that Levels works best by leaving the left and right pointers at the bottom edges if the "mountain". Hope it works for you. It might look something like the attached modification.

leighp1 ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 6:50 AM

I actually love the sillhouette feeling I get with this picture...Sounds like you got some great advice here too on helping lightening it up. I just wanted to say it a beautiful picture... Leigh

mjshepherd ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 6:54 AM

Hi RJ, and welcome! These guys know their stuff, and over the last couple of months have given me some crackig tips! One of them was using the 'Image - Adjust - Auto Levels' which alters the levels in one click - on this example it turns out as bright as Jack's picture, but with a slightly greyer hue than blue - quite a high-contrast effect. (I do think Jack's looks better, but I've found it useful in the recent weeks!!) (Eeh, I've just realised what I've done! I've given a tip! And me, a rank amateur!! LOLOLOL! <<<< Chuffed to bits )

RJH ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 7:24 AM

Thanks for all the tips. As for my equip most of my shots are taken with a sony mavika fd91 digital with no touchups other than cropping.

theFOG ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 7:37 PM

If you want to brighten up the image when shooting, it's a simple solution. Use a flash, it will also help freeze the action. If after the fact that pretty well covered above. the F.O.G.

RJH ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 10:14 PM

On your tip about using the flash. i should force the flash even if the camera thinks it has enough light? And yes alpha it does have the built in pop up flash. The next digital I purchase I am looking at get one with an external flash attachment.

RJH ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 7:35 AM

Thanks I will give that a try

Lisas_Botanicals ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2001 at 1:42 PM

Great picture. I love hummingbirds and am fascinated by their hovering. I'd like to see what you do with this if anything. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.