Wed, Sep 25, 1:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: obj-pcf file conversion question

Stormi ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 10:53 AM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 1:22 AM

I'm about an hour away from finishing my project and I needed to make sure everything is in order. I've remapped a few items to sell along with my Character and created the obj's into pcf files. The question is, do I need to offer any instructions on the pcf files for Mac users (do they need to convert the pcf files back to obj's before using) I just said in the readme that they should drop the pcf files into a specified folder and told them where to put the cr2&rsr's and that it would work. Am I wrong? I need to know ASAP =) Thank you!! Stormi =)

"The best and most beautiful thing in life cannot be seen, not touched, but are felt in the heart."

• Helen Keller

MartinC ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 11:38 AM

Attached Link: http://www.soft-rabbit.com/

You are, but don't worry... PCF must be decoded on Mac just like on PC, but it will be done by my Maconverter tool "on the fly" during the normal conversion. Also, placing the .rsr files does not work (the Mac Poser does not deal with them). Instead, the whole folder with all PC files should be dragged onto Maconverter and converted as a whole - that's all. Fell free to pass on the URL to my tools in your read-me: http://www.soft-rabbit.com/ If you have any more questions, just drop me a note. Cheers, MartinC

Jim Burton ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 12:42 PM

And you did get permission from Maz for commerical use of Objaction, of course? I find Maconverter works so well many Mac users probably don't even know there were .pcf files in the Zip!

Stormi ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 12:58 PM

Hi Jim, Actually, I was just going to give them the info/URL to download objaction on their own. Is that acceptable? I must say I LOVE your art work. I'm a huge fan! Thank you! Stormi

"The best and most beautiful thing in life cannot be seen, not touched, but are felt in the heart."

• Helen Keller

Stormi ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 1:00 PM

Hi Martin, Thank you very much for the information and I'll include it in my read me with your link. =) Thank you! Stormi =)

• Helen Keller

lalverson ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 1:48 PM

if you are giving away the model you are good, but if you are selling it you cannot use mover or PCF. there is no commercial version of mover and maz has yet to make one. I was selling a model using it but the model sales was for the support of fht site and i was required to waive all profit. in order to use PCF.

ronmolina ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 2:04 PM

Stormi You must get permission to use it. Also many people will get an error message when using it because the normal stuff that came with Poser on the cd is read only. You need to instruct them on how to change the original object to archive so it will work. This only applies to PC users. Ron

Stormi ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 3:54 PM

I've been under the impression (a friend had told me) that as long as I sold the remapped obj as pcf file I was safe. I'm really lost here maybe I should just forget the clothes since there is no way I can sell my remapped stuff. What do other people do who sell remapped clothing. I've seen them in the stores. Can I place an ad displaying the clothes and say it's "free" to those who buy Scout and I will email them the zip. ?? She would have been up months ago but I've worked so hard on the clothes... faint Thank you for all of your help... I truly appreciate it as I don't want to do anything wrong or illegal. Just learning as I go. ... Hugs, Stormi =)

• Helen Keller

MartinC ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 4:26 PM

Stormi, sorry about some confusion... There are two things mixed up: PCF is indeed a safe way to distribute modified meshes, because your customers will need the original .obj on their disk in order to decode the PCF. However, Maz - the original creator of PCF and developer of the ObjAction Mover tool - only permits usage of his tool for non-commercial purposes, which means that you are only free to post PCF files created with it as long as you don't charge money for your profit. He has not (yet) setup a normal business for a commercial usage fee, but (to my knowledge) he already made individual agreements with a couple of artists to solve the problem. If you plan to sell your stuff, just contact him through maz@sandylodge.demon.co.uk and I'm sure you can work it out. If you have trouble to get in touch with him (he's occasionally very busy) but you are under pressure of time, drop me a note (by this boards webmail) and I can try to contact him otherwise.

bloodsong ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 6:03 PM

Attached Link: http://www.uvmapper.com/

heyas; if you only remapped the items (and didn't add/remove geometries or change groups etc), you can use uvs encoding instead of pcf encoding. in fact, you should use uvs encoding for only remapping, as it is more reliable. no offense to maz, and pcf encoding is a wonderful thing, but maz knows i've forwarded a lot of people with decoding problems. :) uvs encoding is done with uvmapper. www.uvmapper.com. as far as i know, there are no commercial restrictions on distributing uvs files. but you can ask steve cox about that.

Stormi ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 6:30 PM

Steve said I could use the uvs but alas I didn't know exactly what I should do with it. If I wanted to use the Uvs how would I go about using them and advising someone how to use them. Thank you Bloodsong I had totally forgot all about uvs in my semi-meltdown. =) And I like to thank everyone who has been helping me I really do appreciate it. I have uploaded Scout for approval without clothes but perhaps I will go with the uvs and offer them as a free bonus this time.

• Helen Keller

omega ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2001 at 1:36 AM

I mistakenly used pcf files too until I found out that commercially you could not do this. Now I am puting the revised geometry in the *.cr2 file It works - see michelle2 to be posted in the omega shop. It is not really difficult either. basically the *.cr2 file calls up the origional obj geometry ( or RSR file in 4.03)and you must insert your revised geometry where you want the changes If you need help on this contact me

bloodsong ( ) posted Sat, 05 May 2001 at 8:37 AM

heyas; omega, it isn't legal to distribute copyrighted geometry embedded in a cr2. this is the reason for the pcf encoding in the first place. stormi, it's very easy. you load your remapped obj, and do file: export uvs. then the user must load the original obj and file:import uvs. there is a mac version of uvmapper, i believe it works the same way. after they import the uvs and the new mapping is applied, they have to save the new obj. so... load dress.obj. importu newdress.uvs. save newdress.obj. :)

Jim Burton ( ) posted Sun, 06 May 2001 at 1:38 PM

Incidently, what I did was to contact Maz, I more-or-less agreed to buy the commerical version if and when it comes out, and he gave me permission to use it on a couple of items I have, including Supermodel Vickie. But it wasn't a blanket permission, and I took it to only apply to the items I asked about.

Jaager ( ) posted Tue, 15 May 2001 at 7:46 PM

There is one aspect to using UVS encoding that came as an unexpected surprise. It will encode for the remapping of existing materials, but it will not support the addition of a new material. This was an unwelcome misunderstanding as regards the genitals texture on MillieJCM, but it seems that most of my customers already had Millie from Morph World or perhaps Saluda.

bloodsong ( ) posted Wed, 16 May 2001 at 9:03 AM

heyas; jaager, try the new, new uvmapper. steve added (or is about to add) support in the uvs format for materials, groups, and regions, as well as the new uv layout.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.