Thu, Sep 19, 11:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:35 am)

Subject: Massive P7 Bug - Starship TROOPER Sized...!!!

fuaho ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 9:03 PM · edited Wed, 18 September 2024 at 7:06 PM

I KNOW THERE IS AN ONGOING BUG LIST, BUT THIS ONE DESERVES ITS OWN THREAD.

I'm working on an animation using a 450-frame timeline with multiple moving figures, huge cityscape, an extremely complex 6-DOF camera movement, four Animation Layers and a couple of scaled up props as reference markers.

After a few days of working with P7 in a fresh full install, I was experiencing a number of relatively minor inconsistencies:

Animation Layer names do not properly update
Undo does not often work in the Animation Palette
Visibility does not always correlate between the properties checkbox and the parameter dial
Left & Right Arrow keys do not always advance/move back a frame at a time
The Enter key does not always start & stop playback
and, 
no matter how you stop playback, it always returns to the starting frame.

These aberrations all seem to be related to the same loss of focus problem suffered by the del key or the P6 inability to select an entry line in the Animation Palette.

But two nights ago, in the middle of working, I wanted to add another camera preset dot. I already had three set previously. 
I clicked on the upper left hand dot and instantly every single keyframe in the entire timeline on all four Animation Layers was erased, eliminated, no longer there - as in TOTALLY GONE!!!.** 

Fortunately, I save obsessively, so, after searching around with no success, I closed the trashed file without saving it, copied my last saved file to another location for protection and then reopened it. Everything was there with the exception of the new name I had given one figure since the save.

Poser had not "crashed to the desktop," locked up or exhibited any abberant behavior other than completely wiping out the timeline entries. I did close it down and restart it just as a precaution before continuing with, so far, no repeat.

Until this problem is better understood, I would highly suggest not using camera dots and saving your work frequently because this could have been an absolute disaster, wiping out days worth of work.

Hopefully someone at eF is getting enought feedback about these loss of focus situations to begin to understand where the problems lie and SR1 will correct them because most of the new program is a major improvement over P6. I don't know if the loss of the timeline keyframes is related, but someone needs to put in some serious time working on that one cause it's a disaster waiting to happen.

<"}}%%%><<  

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 9:27 PM

thx fr the info. trying to use poser as a video editor, i.e. managing several tracks (layers) at once, is a big misteak IMVHO, given past performance.

templargfx ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 10:12 PM

if this happens again, try saving the now lost animation scene to a new file, close down poser and open it back up.

it could "simply" be an interface problem, and stopped re-drawing the animation frame, or a problem with the in-memory reading of the animation data, but the data could still be there.

this is something that would help narrow down the problem.

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

fuaho ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 10:48 PM

In retrospect, I wish I had saved the trashed file as it might have held some clues to what happened, but I was so stunned that I just wanted to make sure my last save was still viable because it had a lot of new work in it.

<"))###><<  

templargfx ( ) posted Mon, 08 January 2007 at 11:50 PM

I can understand that, which is why I said next time it happens LOL

TemplarGFX
3D Hobbyist since 1996
I use poser native units

167 Car Materials for Poser

Tguyus ( ) posted Tue, 09 January 2007 at 10:04 AM · edited Tue, 09 January 2007 at 10:05 AM

You might want to use a text editor to take a look at the CameraDot_1 CM2 file.  I'm guessing it might have keyframe data embedded, such as "clearFigureKeys" followed by some number, like 1 or 30.

I'm not sure this is your problem since I've noticed camera dots wanting to add frames but I've never noticed camera dots deleting frames, even though several of my camera dot CM2 files say clearFigureKeys 1.  However, I also haven't used P7 much yet given its many problems.

Even so, you might want to poke around the file and try deleting any lines of code which affect the number of keyframes, unless you actually want a multiframe animated camera assigned to a particular dot.  Save backups first, of course.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.