Sat, Sep 21, 3:17 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 12:48 pm)

Subject: Artist Choice in LCD monitor. Whats good? Whats not?

Nybras ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 9:13 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 3:10 PM

**Hello All, I am looking to buy an LCD Monitor for my PC. At the moment i have an LG Flatron CRT Monitor and the picture is near perfect but the trouble is it takes up to much of my desk and i have no work space. It would be great to get some feedback from your guys on whats good and whats not so good. And what to look out for ect, Just want a nice clear Screen to make my art on.

Cheers everyone, Take it easy.**

BeyondVR ( ) posted Wed, 10 January 2007 at 10:37 PM

I have a brand new Dell E177FP, and I love it.  The off axis viewing is incredibly good, and overall it's far better that the screen on my notebook.  Stand and all, it can't be over 5 inches deep.

John

adp001 ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 9:07 AM

For all graphic related work, I'm still using my good old 22" CRT. Didn't see a LCD with similar quality for a reasonable price. Standard LCD's are good for anything but graphics (IMHO).

Keith ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 10:39 AM

Here we go again...

Anyway, Dell has good monitors for good prices that are dropping all the time.  I have a 24" widescreen at the office that's sweet.  I run a 20" (non-wide) at home that's my primary monitor for games and graphic work.

judith ( ) posted Thu, 11 January 2007 at 12:19 PM

I bought a ViewSonic VA1912WB 19" Widescreen as my second monitor and have been very pleased with it.  If I remember correctly it was about $225 USD.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity.

E-mail | Renderosity Homepage | Renderosity Store | RDNA Store

dlfurman ( ) posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 9:28 PM

Yep here we go again....

I am of the CRT preference group and if we can hold out for SED sets then we can have the advantages of our CRTs and LCD/Plasma (ie thin form factors) space. In fact SED's are sharper than our beloved CRTs.

For more information see the February 2007 issue of CPU magazine pages 46-47.

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

Keith ( ) posted Fri, 12 January 2007 at 10:34 PM · edited Fri, 12 January 2007 at 10:38 PM

In 2004, SED monitors would be available in late 2005.

In 2005, SED monitors were just around the corner; 2006, early 2007 at the latest.

Now even the SED manufacturers are saying 2008 at the earliest for commercial units.

Not that it's not an interesting technology with good potential, but there are some manufacturing issues (like maintaining a vacuum between two plates without external air pressure distoring the display in the middle).  It's one thing to have custom made high-precision demo models, it's another for cheap, reliable mass production.

norm1153 ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 3:01 AM

I just bought a 21" CRT which replaces a still working 19" CRT, that I will keep as backup. 

Cheers ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 4:17 AM

I was part of the CRT only camp...until a purchased a Dell 24" widescreen (the 20" 4:3 aspect ratio and 20" widescreens are of the same quality).
LCD's have improved no end and my Dell monitor is the best purchase in a long while. No more eye strain, greater desk space and more importantly - great resolution and display quality.

One thing I will say - don't be tempted by cheap 17" or 19" LCD's....they are false economy IMHO. They don't have consistent edge to edge brightness and usually a poor contrast ratio. I have also found that cheap LCD's are very difficult to calibrate accurately, if not impossible.

Cheers

Twitter: Follow @the3dscene

YouTube Channel

--------------- A life?! Cool!! Where do I download one of those?---------------

Rondino ( ) posted Sat, 13 January 2007 at 7:46 AM

I have a gateway 24 inch widescreen.  I love the thing. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.