Mon, Sep 30, 11:35 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:06 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Trouble applaying materials

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 2:07 PM · edited Mon, 29 July 2024 at 2:10 AM

file_364552.jpg

Hi there I am trying to make a scene of a livingroom of some sort. But I got a problem with applaying materials and colours. When I choose an object and gives it colour. It also gives to additional objects colour. Its a chair a couch and the floor that gets the same colour.

The chair and couch is okey. But I dont wanna have it on my floor too.

By the way. here is a screen capture of my scene.

oodmb ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 2:43 PM

are the meshes part of the same object? maybe you have to create a new material for the couch.  its hard to know exactly what your problem is.  either descibe it in more detail or post the .blend 

posting a pic in the meantime of the render would also be helpfull

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:05 PM

They are not a part of the same object at all. Thats the trouble. Heve not joined them together or something like that. It is just that I choose the couch. apply a material. And voila, the floor and the chair gets it too. Is it a bug or something?

But I put the blend file here so you can have a peek on it.

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:07 PM

Darn it. I hae trouble posting the blend file since it ends in an invalid filename here. It seems like the forum dont accept it.

oodmb ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:10 PM

upload it to a file host and link to it.  i think your problem though is that your changing the color of the same material

to test this change the name of one of the materials and see if the rest change as well

blender works by not making each material for each object but by making universal materials and allowing you to apply them to the objects.  

to fix this next to the name of the material there is a scroller. click on the scroler and click add new material.  name your new material and change away.  i doubt its a bug because i never have any trouble like this with materials

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:17 PM

The rest changed name as well. I changed the material name of the floor too floor and the couch and chair followed and changed name automatically

oodmb ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:18 PM

ok,  your using the same material for all the objects,  ad a new material for each object.

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:23 PM

Okey. I found where the trouble was. It was as you stated that the materials was used by 3 objects. So I deleted the users from the list and got one material on each.

Thank you for your help. It is easy to loose the oversight of the panel and all the stuff there.

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:23 PM · edited Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:24 PM

Okey. I found where the trouble was. It was as you stated that the materials was used by 3 objects. So I deleted the users from the list and got one material on each.

Thank you for your help. It is easy to loose the oversight of the panel and all the stuff there.

oodmb ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:26 PM

you actualy didnt have to delete it,  you could have added a coppy of the material

Tobak30 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:30 PM · edited Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:32 PM

Well I deleted the materail on 2 of the objects. Then I kept it on one. Just made a new material for the others. :)

By the way come over in the chat room. then the talking gets faster :)

Harrgunn ( ) posted Sun, 14 January 2007 at 4:21 PM

Looks like your resolved here.  Just wanted to let you know that I've had trouble getting the hang of this part of blender also.  Took me a good weekend to figure out how to assign multiple materials to the same object.  Was hard to figure out as have to change between the edit and materials windows. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.