Sun, Oct 6, 7:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Question: Making 3D models for Poser and missing surfaces

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:17 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:50 AM

I made a great little model that imports into Cinema and Bryce without a hitch...  I use these Apps to test my models...   I'm new to Poser and I haven't yet had any problems importing models ( obj or 3DS) as props or figures...   Now my new model seems to import with missing surfaces.

I already fixed the original model's normals and nothing...  I tried different mesh qualities and nothing..  There must be a particular process inherent to models that work as imports to Poser...

Since these missing surfaces seem to be in the same place My only alternative is to redo those sections...   Does anyone know something I'm yet to learn about importing to Poser 6 & 7..   Before I go into the workshop...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 7:40 AM

If your missing an odd polygon here and there, then that would usually indicate a normal problem (you said you fixed them), but you could try checking "Make polygon normals consistant" during OBJ import just to see if it makes any difference.
A screenshot would help.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 8:28 AM

Yes, try what nruddock suggests.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:23 AM

Yea I did that before and I just did it again.....    same thing...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 9:39 AM

Quote - Yea I did that before and I just did it again.....    same thing...

Need a screenshot and a render then.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 10:19 AM

hi, can you post a pic of the problem area , preferably textured wire display ?

Poser does occasionaly do wierd things with polygons with more that 4 sides .

I concur that often its an issue with normals.

I would be happy to look at the model for you but youd have to send me a copy of the obj file.

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 1:07 PM

Thank you for your responses...  

Here is what I did:...    I went back to my program (Rhino) took the master 3DM model...  and just exploded  the whole thing in controllable manageable sections..  I started to join section by sections and testing for normals....   I found lots of surfaces with bad normals I could not see while the model was whole....  I took each section I fixed and imported it into Poser as a test..
I even re-build a section...
 lesson learned... 

When you find a model you just can not casually tell about the normals...  explode it!.  if you are able...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.