Sun, Aug 4, 3:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 02 6:41 am)

Subject: Exif data

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:27 AM · edited Sun, 04 August 2024 at 1:46 AM

I've been seeing the exif numbers and wondering about the cameras I believe are purchased in Europe. I notice the speed settings  for example: 10/1250 sec, and by seeing the exposure can only think that means 1/250 sec
I have not  researched it on the net, but figured  I could find out why this difference. Bit confusing to me.

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

Onslow ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 3:23 AM

I've noticed it - can't explain it !

And every one said, 'If we only live,
We too will go to sea in a Sieve,---
To the hills of the Chankly Bore!'
Far and few, far and few, Are the lands where the Jumblies live;
Their heads are green, and their hands are blue, And they went to sea in a Sieve.

Edward Lear
http://www.nonsenselit.org/Lear/ns/jumblies.html

Zacko ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 3:31 AM

Wouldn´t 1/250 sec be the same as 10/2500 sec? So your example should translate into 1/125 sec...right? Confusing to say the least, LOL.

How come we say 'It's colder than hell outside' when isn't it realistically always colder than hell since hell is supposed to be fire and brimstone?

Andreas

Mystic Pic

inshaala ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 6:57 AM

nope - not a "european" thing mine was bought in the UK and displays 1/* - i have noticed it before too, i thought it was something on some prosumer models and the lumix range rings a bell for some reason.

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

DJB ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 9:25 AM · edited Tue, 23 January 2007 at 9:26 AM

I thought about this  in the morning with fresh mind, and maybe because  euro and uk is on the 24 hr clock they go in thousandths
If the zero is gone at end it would be the same as  North American settings.
10/1250 = 1/125

OK dumb thread now...lol

"The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions."

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 3:56 PM

Crickey... this is basic 1st grade math people if you understand what it says.

in other words 10 divided by 1250.  If you can divide the divider and divident by the same number you can do so. i.e. both numbers are divisible by 10 which yields

or a 125th part of a second.

Oh, and my camera(s) all use 1/x for shutter speed. Maybe it's just a brand specific thing. Maybe it's the exif readout program they're using.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

DJB ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 12:46 AM

Crickey....why would anyone go to the trouble to divide, when you can slash off a zero, and come up with it.
I was more curious, why a same brand and model of camera has the differences.

3DGuy ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 10:25 AM

Slashing a zero off is the same as dividing by 10 in this case
But yeah, it's strange that a camera would display it like that. But is it the camera that displays it like that or the software? Where did you see this? I'm curious too.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.