Thu, Sep 19, 5:31 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Windows Vista 64 and Carrara 5 Pro

cbtuty ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 9:40 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 2:26 PM

I would like to know if anyone has done any testing with Carrara5 Pro on Windows Vista 64 bit.

If so, have you found any issues and could you tell me what they might be?

I’m running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ with 1G Ram and would like to install Vista 64 Bit.

AndyCLon ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:23 PM

I was planning on holding off on Vista / XP 64 until there's a few more applications that state that they are happy on that platform. I would not expect C5 to benifit from that OS just yet as it's still a 32bit application.

You might want to consider spending money on another GB ram before you upgrade. I saw an article in Custom PC that said that some resource hungry games needed 2GB in Vista when they were ok in XP.

I've actually got just upgraded to that same hardware platform, just with cheapy motherboard graphics... Not actually installed C5 yet!

bwtr ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:47 PM

I have had 2gb ram on XP for a long while--can not do without it.

I think XP64 will have been  found to have been superseded by all the newer stuff that has/will soon come out.

bwtr

dtacy1 ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 9:40 AM

Yes, it runs fine on Vista 64 bit. Just got the final code downloaded and installed a couple of weeks ago. (Official MS-Technet Subscription) I haven't encountered any problems with Carrara 5 Pro.  I've also been running Carrara 5 Pro on Windows XP 64 bit for over a year with no issues.

However, there are problems with a lack of stable drivers and utilities. Nvidia's graphics driver is still beta, and it shows. Other hardware support is still under development as well. Some items work great, others still don't have support. Anti-Virus/Firewall/Spyware software is pretty much beta and buggy. Support will improve, but unless you are getting it installed on a new machine, I'd give Vista about 6 months to get the drivers and software compatibility shaken out. If you're technically savvy and can live with / work around buggy beta drivers then go for it, but you've been warned... :)

That said, I do like some of the new interface features and hate the constant permission pop-ups when installing/configuring the system.

Don't know if you use Poser, but Poser 7 DOES NOT WORK with vista. Poser 6 does.  I use Poser for the figures and cheap models, then import into Carrara for final texturing and rendering.

cbtuty ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for the input. I have a copy of Vista 32 and 64 Release Candidate 1 and was hoping to upgrade from XP pro 32 to Vista 64 but it looks like I would have to do a complete install. I don't want to go through that again at this time but my copy of Vista expires June 1, 2007 so I guess I will be waiting for the driver bugs to get fixed and the final release of Vista 64.
Thanks again.

P.S. Office 2007 is great.

GWeb ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2007 at 1:41 AM

Hi I thought it would be good to post my problem I have expd right now with Vista and C3.  It did not allow me to get past 2 frames.  I am thinking about getting C5 Pro but i m not sure if it'll work well with 32 bit Vista version.  Daz or Eovia need to do some testings on different platforms for us.

GWeb ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2007 at 10:16 AM

Hi again, 

I figured what was wrong with C3 and Vista 32 is the render engine with windows AVI that won't get past 2 frames.  Other file format options worked fine.

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2007 at 12:23 AM

If I may cut in again.  And I hope I am correct?

Carrara 3 is so old that any relationship to anything is spurious.

64 bit is ? still developmental--dont expect great relatiomships to much.

Vista needs a good 12 months to improve its compatability to many things.

Carrara5Pro with Windows XP works perfectly (up with the top grade apps)--with just average cards.

Why would you want to go elsewhere untill the alternatives are proven?

bwtr

bwtr ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2007 at 12:50 AM

As a follow up, a VERY large Govt. department in this State are involved with CG at the very highest level and are, only now--right now, in the process of upgrading to XP!

bwtr

NH3MAN ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2007 at 8:22 AM

I have been running Vista 64 since it was in BETA and I did have some minor hardware issues for a while that have been resolved with new drivers. I have already deleted my old  XP install that I never had to dual boot into. I have a dual multicore Opterons rig with 8 gig of Ram and it really rocks. as an example of the benefits is Autocad 2008 as it is 64 bit and it renders twice as fast as 32 bit. I have been able to use all of my main software and have had very few problems considering all of the software I collect. Despite  what some people claim, Vista is not a Win Me upgrade. A few titles that I did have problems with were with the rendering of Avi's in Carrara 5, ACDSee Pro cataloquing and Winfax Pro. I replaced ACDSee Pro with Lightroom (which makes ACDSee look like newbieware anyway) and I use the built in windows Fax which suprisingly works quite well. I am stuck rendering to .mov files in Carrara because I haven't found a workaround to the AVI bug. I did get it to render to six frames with new Codecs but it still get the same error. With Daz owning C5 now I am very apprehensive as to when and what the new C6 will look like. When I look at their other products, I have a hard time understanding why they needed or wanted Carrara. It is a different species of software compared to Poser and Daz Studio and I don't know if they will take it as far as it can go. 

Singular3D ( ) posted Sun, 08 July 2007 at 4:07 PM

Well, C5 Pro runs fine on my Windows XP Pro x64 for about half a year now. As x64 runs it in 32bit virtual mode, it really gets a lot of memory from my installed 4 Gig. Love it and hope C6 comes in a 64bit version too.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.