Sun, Oct 6, 7:38 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Do Multiple Runtimes Affect Speed/Performance Of Poser 6?

kathym ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 1:38 PM · edited Mon, 05 August 2024 at 4:40 AM

I often switch between genres (sci-fi an fantasy) and insted of loading everything from both i only keep stuff loaded that pertains to the current genre. I noticed after a clean install of poser 6 just how much faster it ran without anything installed. It even seemed to take less time to render then before.

So I began to think about splitting things up into multiple runtimes - wondering if Poser would continue to run faster IF there were different runtimes (that is if it didn't keep them loaded like the main one).

Anyone experience better or worse performance with mulitple runtimes in poser 6?

Just enjoying the Vue. :0)

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:08 PM

a smaller main runtime will get Poser started faster , but there is a small hit when switching runtimes.

The hits are fairly small unless you have a HUGE runtime .

RedHawk ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:10 PM

I've found that seperate runtimes do indeed help performance. I keep very little in the actual P6 runtime. I have mine set up for various figures (V3,M3, etc...) but seperating them by genre should work just as well. Keep in mind that the less stuff in each runtime, the faster it will load. The trade-off is that you then need to continually switch between runtimes.....

<-insert words of wisdom here->

gillbrooks ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:16 PM

Poser opens to the last runtime you were in before closing.  So if you were in the default p6 runtime with very little installed then it will open fairly quickly next time. If you were in a large runtime - say like my props one which is pushing 8GB then it will load more slowly.

A trick to get poser to open more quickly is to always be in a small runtime before closing the programme, but remember if you switch to a larger runtime it will then take longer to change over.  Catch 22 really.

Gill

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 2:55 PM · edited Tue, 23 January 2007 at 3:00 PM

I switch to the Downloads runtime before I close Poser as I never install anything in that one, it's the quickest to load :D

Starting poser with the Downloads runtime selected takes 14 seconds

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

craftycurate ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 6:40 AM

How do you create multiple Runtimes and switch between them?

Thanks
Richard

Larry-L ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 3:12 PM

file_366857.jpg

Richard,

If you open up your file structure and maneuver to your Poser program and open up the "download" folder under Poser, you can copy this folder (if it is empty) and paste it anywhere you choose on your HD and use it as an xtra Runtime.  Then when you install stuff like Daz' stuff, you can install to that Runtime.  Be sure to name it anything that makes it easy to identify your stuff.  Then when you open Poser it will not load that runtime keeping it out of memory until you need it.  This will give you more RAM or room in the Pageing file if Poser needs it to render.

I seem to remember a tutorial here at R'osity that gave specific instructions.  I used it a couple of years ago it learn how to create mine.  You can search for it or perhaps someone else has a link to it that they could post.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.