Sat, Oct 5, 9:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:08 am)

Subject: Why are alot of the thumbs cropped ?

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:08 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 9:24 AM

Seems like there are alot of thumbs cropped even if there is no nudity.

Say if it's just a portrait there crop out a eye.

So is there any reason why ?

RorrKonn
http://www.atomic-3d.com

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:15 AM

It's an ugly and irritating trend that seems to be going around, it's one of the reasons I object to the policy in the first place (thumbs that don't represent their associated image).  I am terribly tempted to go further but I'll leave it at that.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:27 AM

Allow me to play the Devil's Advocate for a minute.
Many of us have been uploading work here for years.....many years, in fact, before the thumbnail rule AND before the system-generated thumbs.
Most of us have been cropping the image down to, oh, say a portion of the image that, while it may not be completely indicative of the whole piece, certainly showcases enough to, in fact, be a "teaser", or an advertisement, if you will.
So, if this has been actually going on for years, why is it that there is this "all of the sudden" outrage and upset about it?  I mean, because, surely, those of us who have been doing it have been pissing you off all this time.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:33 AM

No particular comment on "several years" - but from perusing the galleries regularly for "several months" it's pretty clearly a lot more common in the past couple of weeks than it has been for the past "several months".

My Freebies

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:38 AM

I understand why the nudes our cropped.

I've cropped one thumb and hated it so I deleted it.

From now on when I post nudes I am going to dress them for the thumb so the thumbs are not nude or cropped.

I personally don't like to crop my thumbs.

But there is alot of none nude cropped thumbs.

I don't understand why there our so many none nude cropped thumbs.

Is there a actual reason why none nude renders are cropped?

RorrKonn

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:40 AM

Ok, so...again, what is upsetting about it, especially if the cropped thumbnail is, in fact, a part of the whole image that it leads to?  Is it that you're not getting the whole image up front?  Do you not like lead-ins? 
I'm not saying that any change will come of it.  Frankly, I like making my thumbnails cropped images of the whole piece.  But, that is me.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:42 AM

Quote -
Is there a actual reason why none nude renders are cropped?

Simply because the artist chooses to do so.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Gongyla ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:52 AM

I don't believe in luring people into the web of one's gallery. The thumbnails I prefer show the whole, or as good as the whole work. I understand that with the new rule this cannot be done with images with nude figures, but even then you can either use Poser's selection in post to fill the character with black, white or a colour of your fancy (probably not too close to skin) or indeed clothe the character.

There are some exceptions, artists whose work I know to be my liking. But generally speaking, I don't ever want to see a work that has an "Advisory Content" thumb or a cropped thumbnail that does not show what the work's all about.

Everyone her own opinion of course.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:57 AM

Well since I find the new policy vastly irritating and stupid, I will take the minimum effort to conform to it, which means no separate renders, dressing up figures, or the like.  Which I guess means some people will not care to view my work.  Regrettable.

My Freebies

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:00 AM
Online Now!

I have to say that since the "content advisory" thumbs have started to show, I'm tending not to click on them where before when I could see something of what the image was I might have!
I'd be very surprised if peeps that have this type of thumb haven't lost views because of it!

I'm not trying to start the "thumb war" again, it's just that it has changed my viewing habits!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

mickmca ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:12 AM

How ironic, that I just posted a long memo elsewhere "defending" JenX. My mistake.

Ma'am, I suggest that you look up "Devil's advocate" before using the term again. Your use smacked of wonderful malapropism. Like "reigning in my snideness." Even from the awesome, patronizing sneers are not especially effective as management tools.

M

vilian ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:14 AM

Except of Terragen renders, all images in my Rendo gallery have thumbnails being cropped part of the corresponding image, a teaser of some sort. My take on this is that if you already seen whole image as sized-down thumb, what's the point of clicking it to see it once again, only bigger ? I'm a very curious creature myself, and I do prefer teasing thumbs - I rarely click thumbs which seem to be whole image, as it rarely makes me interested. I rather click nicely rendered eye to see if rest of image is as nice too, than badly sized-down pic to check if it really looks better when bigger (and believe me - too often it doesn't).
Some posts in this thread seem to be about "people don't make nude thumbs anymore so I can't see if there are any T&A or not, so don't know if the pic is worth viewing", which is itself interesting ;)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:19 AM

I crop my thumbs to part of the image for just that reason ... I don't want to see a system generated content advisory thumb show up.

I rarely post nudes and, like JenX, I prefer to do a teaser thumb since that's what thumbnail images are for.  Frankly, I don't much care about how many views I get except in the product showcase where the thumbs are generally the same ones we use for the marketplace.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

RedHawk ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:19 AM

For what it's worth, I crop my thumbnails because I would rather show a portion of the picture at higher detail than I can display by resizing the whole image. You may not be able to get the "whole picture" but I hope that way people get a feel for my style so that they can decide whether or not to view the pic in its entirety.

...@thefixer:
I agree entirely! I don't click on the generic "Content Advisory" thumbs either. There's absolutely no way to tell what you're getting into. I do like to view the occasional nude, but I have no desire to click through a hundred pics of expressionless drivel to find one or two remarkable pieces...... 
at least before, I could make that decision based on the thumbnail.... :sad:

<-insert words of wisdom here->

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:23 AM
Online Now!

Some posts in this thread seem to be about "people don't make nude thumbs anymore so I can't see if there are any T&A or not, so don't know if the pic is worth viewing", which is itself interesting ;)

This could refer to my post above, if it is you've taken it out of context, the new "content advisory" thumb has stopped me also looking at any "violence" tagged images also not just the nudity ones!

The point I was making is where an interesting thumb would have made me look at the full image before this thumb will not!!  I don't look at every T&A pic out there and never have, only the ones that looked like they might warrant a look from the thumb, but not now!!

If I am so in need of looking at T&A as you put it why are there virtually none in my own gallery?
Personally I prefer real naked women not 3D ones.

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

RorrKonn ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:27 AM

I'm not out rage or upset

I was just asking a none emotional question.

I realize alot of people here have gotten emotional over the nude thumb rules laity.

But I didn't get emotional over the none nude thumb rule or would I get emotional over any other rule here.

Only site I might get emotional over is http://www.atomic-3d.com/ that is my site.

That I rule.

I make the rules there, I answer to no one.

Even when emotional parent or christians email I still don't get emotional thou.

I simple tell the parent to buy blocker software.

Tell christians since I am not religious one way or the other how could I worship a devil I don't believe in and if ya do not like my site you don't half to visit it no gods or governments rule the internet.

People here that is upset over Renderosity rules could get there own site that thay rule and set the rules.

or go to a poserrotica

but having my own site and gotten hate mail, threaten mail,I'm going to sue you mail,I'll have you arrested mail,your going to burn in hail mail etc etc I get why thay have rules not that I agree or disagree.

I would not tell another Artist not to crop there thumb.

It's there Thumbs to do with what ever thay want.

I personally hate cropping my thumbs.

I prefer full thumbs in the gallery.

Do not expect everyone to feel the same or believe the same way I do.

Would fight for your Artist right to Crop all you wanted.

RorrKonn

Lucie ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:32 AM

*For what it's worth, I crop my thumbnails because I would rather show a portion of the picture at higher detail than I can display by resizing the whole image.

*I crop mine for the same reason...

Lucie
finfond.net
finfond.net (store)

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:55 AM

Quote - How ironic, that I just posted a long memo elsewhere "defending" JenX. My mistake.

Ma'am, I suggest that you look up "Devil's advocate" before using the term again. Your use smacked of wonderful malapropism. Like "reigning in my snideness." Even from the awesome, patronizing sneers are not especially effective as management tools.

M

While I guess I should thank you for "defending" me, I'm sorry I've let you down in some way.  None of my posts today were snide.  Just straightforward, matter-of-fact.  I'm too tired to be snarky today.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:10 AM

Quote - How ironic, that I just posted a long memo elsewhere "defending" JenX. My mistake.

M

Sheesh ... take a chill pill!  JenX wasn't being snide ... she was just explaining her POV, like the rest of us.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:22 AM

I find it most amusing that I have to clarify that I'm not serious when being sarcastic, and that I'm not being snide when being serious.  
Or, maybe I do write the way I talk a bit too much.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:17 AM

Quote - *For what it's worth, I crop my thumbnails because I would rather show a portion of the picture at higher detail than I can display by resizing the whole image.

*I crop mine for the same reason...

Me too.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Jimdoria ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:17 AM

As a community of artists - or if you're firmly in the "Poser is not art" camp, a community of creative types producing artfully-created  non-art ;-) - I think there is an aesthetic argument to be made.

Unless your render is perfectly square and not too much larger than the thumb itself, the thumbnail has a different set of aesthetic constraints from the main render. It must be square. It must be small. For a highly detailed, 16:9 format render, these constraints alone would make a cropped thumbnail the compelling choice.

Any artist knows that the choice of format affects your product. If I were shooting a video, I'd certainly do it differently depending on whether it was meant for theatrical exhibition or consumption on a cell phone screen. Change the size and the level of detail, and you've changed the rules, at least in the visual arts.

Also, there's the advertising angle. The galleries are a kind of marketplace, though the currency is attention not dollars. Marketplaces imply (some would say require) advertising. And as with all advertising you have a continuum of quality, from sublime to crass, from straightforward to deceptive. And a well-known tenet of advertising is that if it gets your attention it's working, whether you end up liking the product or not.

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

Argon18 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:46 AM

Quote - Ok, so...again, what is upsetting about it, especially if the cropped thumbnail is, in fact, a part of the whole image that it leads to?  Is it that you're not getting the whole image up front?  Do you not like lead-ins? 
I'm not saying that any change will come of it.  Frankly, I like making my thumbnails cropped images of the whole piece.  But, that is me.

What's upsetting about it is taking away the options and forcing people to conform to certain opinions. I could care less how others do their thumbnails because it's their choice and I tolerate that, but apparently some can't return that and make their intolerance a blanket assertion on all the others. 

So even if you wanted to take advantage of the automatically generated thumbnails option, you couldn't now under the new rules, that's what's upsetting.

Click to get a printed and bound copy plus T-shirts, mugs and hats

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:54 AM

I so want to snark at that, but I won't.
The question was in relation to OTHER ARTISTS CREATING CROPPED THUMBS FOR THEIR OWN ART.  
Not whether or not you're feeling repressed.

Tiari ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 9:54 AM

*warning:  This post contains no sarcasm, wit, preconceived ideas and only a humble opinion.  The author has selected to wear the drip dry spatter suit provided at the door for your convenience!

*LOL

I have a feeling any topic with the word "thumbnail" in it, is going to wake up the den of sleeping giants as it were.   The problem is, everyone in their own way is right.   So, I won't bother with the why this should be this way, or not......   I will (thank goodness) spare you all my dragging out the well worn soap box, and just move to my humble opinions :).  Considering I teeter off the soap box more than a pair of stilletto pumps, this is good for everyone!

Until recently, I'd used ONLY cropped thumbnails, because thats what i like to see.  I'm legally blind.   So its a gracious thing to fill up that tiny little space to me with the most detail it can pack in a way I can actually see it.  Though I've recently used the ability to have Rendo make the thumb for me, I'll be honest....... shrinking down my images into that little square, I cant see a blessed thing!

The problem I find, is with the trend....... I see a thumb of what I "think" is a cropped headshot, and open it up.......... and ......... its just a headshot lol.  So sometimes its false advertising..... even with not false advertising? lol.  (unless it says "portrait"..... then i get a clue).

The "content advisory" grey thingies in my face are a bit of a nuisance, but with my vision problem........ honestly?  They are the only ones i KNOW what it contains lol, at least to a degree, without opening them.

I can't really argue either way...... cropped, or not cropped, both have their distinct advantages, and disadvantages.    I guess its just the artist that determines what they want to reveal.  Some might not feel they are getting enough hits with a squished down version lacking detail in a whole thumb, others, like me, think the other way around, that I'm not showing "enough" to gain any interest in looking, so have opted for the full thumb, when i can .

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 10:43 AM

A good compromise would have been to allow the user to set their preference - artist-provided thumbnail, or (my preference) a system-generated scaled down version.  As wonderful and "tempting" as some may feel cropped thumbnails are, I generally find them irritating and misleading however they're employed.

My Freebies

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:12 PM

I've always made my own thumbs, and they're almost always cropped. I sort of specialize in multicharacter renders, and it's pretty hard to have a meaningful 200x200 thumb containing 20 to 30 people!

So in this regard the new policy hardly affects me. 

In another way I it does. I've always tried to make thumbnails that represent the underlying image, that give the browser an idea what lies beyond. I'll have to be somewhat more creative in making my thumbs (with 30 people in an image, most of them nude or semi-nude, it's pretty hard to navigate around all offending body parts...), but I can live with it.

But my own posts are not the real problem. My viewing experience is.

Under the old policy, when I saw a thumbnail that looked interesting, I'd click it. Usually the underlying image is interesting too.
With this new policy, thumbnails leading to images containing nudity are almost required to misrepresent the image. And apparently many artists don't want to compromise their work with a "wrong" thumbnail and use the standard Content Advisory thumbnail.
What does that lead to? 
Less views. Less advertising of marketplace stuff. I'm definitely NOT going to click all "Content Advisory" thumbs in search of hidden gems. 

So I am certainly going to miss out on some promising new artists. And Renderosity is certainly going to miss out on some sales. 

And this doesn't have to be. There are ways to cater to the people who don't want to view nudity at all, AND cater to the people who don't want nudity in thumbnails, but do want to be able to view the underlying images, AND cater to the people who want to be able to judge by the thumbnail what they're going to click on. 
Solutions have been proposed that would refine and better the new thumbnail policy, that would lessen the burden on moderators, that would reinforce the stated purpose of the new policy.

I haven't seen any reaction to these proposed refinements by the PTB so far. Even something as non-commital as "Interesting take on the situation" seems to be too much. I do not understand why the mods and admins systematically ignore suggestions for possible refinements while reacting to other less constructive posts.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:26 PM

Uhm, I do know something. If I were a mod or admin, I WOULD react to suggestions for refinement. I would ENCOURAGE suggestions.
Because I'm a scientist at heart. As a scientist, I know I do not have the complete ultimate answer to a question. As a scientist, I know I never can have the complete ultimate answer. The best a scientist can do is getting a better approximation. So as a scientist, I'm always open to suggestions - they might help me find a better answer than I have now.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:55 PM

poser users have been cropping thumbnails for at least 10 years in my experience. but I sympathise, as they're caught between scylla and charybdis. on the one hand, they know that if they do a thumb of the entire image, few folks will click on it, as they can already see whether it's worth looking at. on the other hand, they know that if they do a "teaser thumb", folks with little time to waste won't fall for the trick, and will skip what might well be an excellent image. and they've eliminated the only certain way to get alotta views - giant nude boobs :lol: of course, there are probably still some sites that allow giant nude boobs in thumbnails, if folks are desperate for views.

modus0 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 2:34 PM

I crop my thumbnails, for most of the reasons people have posted above, and I couldn't care less if doing that causes people to not look at my images, as I don't tend to click on full image thumbnails that much (I've already basically seen the entire image, unless it's highly detailed there's no reason to view the larger version).

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

steve1950 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 2:34 PM

I still haven't had a sensible answer to this question:

If I tick "No Nudity". I would not expect to see any picture, thumbnail or otherwise, that contained nudity.

If I don't tick "No nudity", why would I be offended by a nude thumbnail?

Seems an easy thing to do but this site has made a dogs breakfast of it.

Seems there are folks out there who don't like looking at a nude thumbnail but like to look at the full monty in hi-res. Why try to cope with perverse people?

Mogwa ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 3:15 PM

Thumb cropping is an ancient method of enforcing discipline or punishing an enemy. Almost all ancient cultures employed it at one time or another because it made it impossibe for a foe to wield a weapon.
Just be thankful that the Mongols aren't running Rendo, or they'd be boiling you in oil after lopping off your naughty bits. 
Say....hold on a sec. 
This whole rhubarb started over the new policy forcing images to be cropped of any potentially offending naughty topography. What's that I hear? The twang of bowstrings and the pounding of horse's hooves?
Sorry. It's just my wife yelling at me again.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:03 PM

I like to stop by here at work, and the 'content advisory' thumbnails keep me from having to look for new and renumerative careers..;)

I originally didn't do thumbnails- no hits
I started doing 'full picture' thumbnails - few hits
I started cropping thumbnails - more hits
I started figuring out how to 'make you look' - still more hits. Still haven't cracked 450, so what do I know?..;)

In the abscence of talent, it's my only refuge..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:05 PM
Online Now!

450 hits and you're complaining, jeez I wish I had that many!!  

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

steve1950 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:41 PM

Quote - I like to stop by here at work, and the 'content advisory' thumbnails keep me from having to look for new and renumerative careers..;)

So why not switch on "No Nudity" when at work?

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:56 PM · edited Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:03 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

It is interesting to hear the views of the venerable posters in this thread, but while some of you may never view any image with a "content advisory" or scaled-down thumb, some other viewers evidently think otherwise.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1375367&member
457 views (although it has a sucky, boring "content advisory" thumb so please don't click it, and ps it shows titties ... that's been up for 6 days)
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1369511&member 
497 views (lame, un-tempting system-generated scaled down thumb, please don't click this one either ... some nudity in there too ... up for 21 days)

I strongly urge the reader NOT to click these links, as all the coolness of these images has been ruined by the virtue of them having crappy thumbs.

My Freebies

sandman_dreaming ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:12 PM

*450 hits and you're complaining, jeez I wish I had that many!!  

• There seems to be an odd fixation with the number of 'hits' you can rack up for a pic....as long as people remember  'large number of hits' doesn't always equal 'great art'!

RedHawk ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:28 PM

If I recall.....
The original question was "Why do people crop thumbnails for non-nude images?" or something to that effect.
I explained why I do it. 
Others have done the same. 
I don't think anybody said that non-cropped, system generated thumbnails were crap.
I don't have any problem clicking on the sized-down version of an image, if it looks promising, to see it in all its glory.

<-insert words of wisdom here->

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:29 PM

That's a very good point, actually.  If someone does not want to spend ten seconds looking at a full size version of one of my images because a scaled-down thumb doesn't spark their interest, then I'd just as soon save their time.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:30 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Wow.  And I was accused of being snippy.  And potentiall self-righteous, but, maybe I'm reading into it a bit.

See, I've always seen the galleries as...well, kind of like paid cable.  Even though they're free (unless you need to upload more than 1 image per day).  Though I may choose to, once in a while, view the...oh, let's call 'em what they are...porn chanels, when it's my choice to do so, It drives me batshit when Cinemax turns to soft-core porn at 8pm.  So, I change the channel.

This is the gist of what I'm getting from a lot of people who are, in fact, for the change, even though they very much like to view the nudes.

They want to see your [sic] well-done nudes.  They want you to work for and earn their views.  They do not want to be treated like boobie-seeking morons.  Which, in essence, is what those thumbs are.  It used to be, a sure-fire way to get the hits was to just click "nudity" on your upload.  Then, came the blatant boobie shots. 

And, sorry to say, hit numbers, and scads of "ooh, ahh, that roxorzzzz@!" comments don't mean a thing.  Well, it means you've got some friends on this site.  And, yeah, I comment on my friends' images.  When they warrant commenting.  If I don't have anything to say, I"m not going to tell them that it's the most amazing thing that my eyes have ever graced the surface of.  If it sucks, I let them know, usually offsite, or, in Instant Messenger if I happen to be on. 

Also, in conclusion, I think this community, as a whole, needs to lighten the hell up.  I mean, FFS, do you really think that this argument will matter in 10 years?  It's arguments like THIS one that make most Poser-oriented sites a laughingstock.  Face it.  It's not the plastic inflataboobs.  I can get that look in Lightwave if I wanted.  It's not the stock figures.  I can get those for Cinema 4D or Maya if I wanted.  It's the titty squabbles.  It's the "You're stepping on my GOD-GIVEN RIGHT to post the biggest boobies EVER in the gallery!!!"  (well, they're not, really, but, well, you go ahead and believe that.  If it makes you feel special.) It's these arguments, which usually end up being about nothing BUT boobs that make Poser forums and sites "laughingstocks".
And, you know....these arguments end up shooting OURSELVES in the ass.  Because we're all a bunch of kids that want to argue about something that's not going to matter in a year or so.
So, g'head.  Because, you know, your way is the only way, and it's completely obvious that the rest of us are wrong.  Because we dont' agree with ya.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:34 PM

JenX,
To whom are you speaking?

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:39 PM

Honestly?  Everyone.  These arguments are pointless, stupid, and get us NOWHERE because by the time one side of the argument calms, the other heats up, and it's a volley back and forth, so there's no way the PTB at ANY site would take either argument seriously. 

I'm including me on this, btw.  So, before we get all "But Jeni was calling me names!!!" I included myself in that. 

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:46 PM

Ya'll need to stick your heads out into the fresh air for about an hour! So what if it's snowing outside. Lighten up and stop turning the least little offense into a rant thread! I crop my images to tease the viewer into looking. Always have always will. I rarely do nudes, I get minimal hits but I rarely if ever get trolled by the boobie seekers which suits me just fine. As most of my work is Sci-Fi related,  the tease thumbnails attracts my selected audiences just fine.

modus0 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:50 PM

I must confess, I've never used a pair of bare breasts in a thumb to entice people to view my images, but that's because while I may like looking at them, it doesn't feel right to me to do so.

And my most viewed pictures happen to have thumbs that contain a headshot, something that I've noticed seems to have a positive effect on how many people deign to view my less than "absolutely freakin' fabulous, best thing since sliced bread" images.

And to me, it's more impressive if someone here I don't know leaves a comment on my image, because that means it's not just the same people looking when I post something, and that I'm producing images that people are finding interesting enough to look at and comment on.

Now, you'll have to excuse me, I'm going to go upload a picture with a cropped thumbnail (no nudity, sorry).

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

Tiari ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:08 PM

Shall i once again cover myself in Kevlar?  Sure....... why not.

Someone's bound by nature to take offence to it, so I might as well.   

Yes, Yes I'm glad.   (not throwing a party........ but close).    Thank you Renderosity, for sparing me the 800,000,000th Daz figure someone played with the dials with in a canned pose and Koz hair.  Now I can focus my attention to the nudes where someone has gasp found dials other than for "breast size 8".

Its not worth me looking at pictures , full thumbs or crops, if I cant make an honest comment like "an expression would be nice?".

The irony of this place, does at times, start to get to me.   People check they want comments, but if its not "oh awesome!" your trolling.  Experienced artists can't make any helpful critisizms without getting bonked in the head for it or ripped apart.      We are supposed to post art that only "we like" in creating it......... yet, the entire populace posting, has the unspoken desire to be seen and heard through their art.

If you want hits (people looking at it), thats bad.....  WHY??   Isn't that the whole point, to be seen and known?  Is there something wrong with wanting to be a respected and enjoyed artist?  There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to be famous, you know.   Everyone who posts an image here, in effect and basis, thats exactly what they want.   If art was just for themselves, no one would give a hoot about what thumb it had, and would keep it tucked away on their hard drive for their own personal enjoyment.......... not share it with the public en-mass.

Jen X is correct in several aspects I'm afraid.  Other than a handful of sites, you'll get massacred out there if you post poser renders as "art".    I've seen it day in and day out where poser users get eaten alive by the masses, for accidentally calling a render a "painting" even if 90 percent of the thing is hand painted.  The "illusion" of the "make art" button.   I know where this comes from.

The absolute FLOOD of Naked v3 renders with the same face, same hair, gi-normous boobs......... that BLANK stare where someone turned their eyes to the side...... just a hair as if that encompasses all of human expression.   Same textures, same outfits and little than better default lighting.   If you don't believe me, have a look out there and you'll see what I mean, its not here, its EVERYWHERE!  (savoir faire is everywhere!!).   When these pictures are presented en-mass, it becomes a joke.

In the rest of the world of art sites:  Naked poser figure = Cant paint clothes.

Thats a crying shame, considering just yesterday in the gallery new was a b/w image of a nude, in dramatic lighting.  I nearly cried it was so beautiful, and at first, i thought it was a photograph.  I knew, as i lingered a long time on it the exceptional curves, how many hours it took the composer to singularly pose every joint down to the toes and fingers.   Hours of work.  Hours.  Placing every single light perfectly......... the balance, the harmony and the architectural symmetry.   Just...... Mind boggling.

This, this respect of the beauty of the womanly figure, I will defend.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:57 PM

JenX

Quote - Honestly?  Everyone.  ... 

I'd suggest you step on your martyr/rant reflex before it fires in the future.  Nobody got heated up here but you. 

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:03 PM · edited Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:03 PM

Tiari:

Quote - Its not worth me looking at pictures , full thumbs or crops, if I cant make an honest comment like "an expression would be nice?".

I agree with you completely, and I regret that that seems to be the culture here.  It certainly isn't like that in the real world, not limited to just art, but all aspects of life.  I post images here because I'm looking for criticism, I have quite enough self-esteem to take negative comments.  Real criticism and suggestions to improve are valuable and welcome.

My Freebies

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:33 PM

Quote - JenX

Quote - Honestly?  Everyone.  ... 

I'd suggest you step on your martyr/rant reflex before it fires in the future.  Nobody got heated up here but you. 

Oh, get over yourself.  A question was raised.  You got out your soapbox.  So, who's got a martyr complex?

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:17 PM · edited Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:17 PM

Quote - Oh, get over yourself.  A question was raised.  You got out your soapbox.  So, who's got a martyr complex?

You are far too quick to turn a discussion of an issue into a set of personal attacks.  I encourage you to review your own signature.  I have no urge to tiptoe behind you kissing your footsteps.  You were directly, objectionably nasty, so I directly objected.  I'll feel free to do the same in the future when you address me like you did.

My Freebies

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:25 PM

actually, I've barely cracked 400, and if ever there was a poster boy for lack of talent getting hits (I average more like 120 or so..;) it's me..;) sadly, the more of my stuff not in the pick, the higher the count..;) go figure...
Compaining is what I do best..;) j/k..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

JenX ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 8:25 PM

RorrKonn (sp?) asked a question.  Rather than an answer, you got out your soapbox.  So, as I was curious, I asked a question.  And THAT is being snippy?

You obviously haven't read much of what I write.
Let's introduce ourselves.
Hi, My name is Jeni.  I can be pretty snarky.  You haven't seen ANYTHING.  Especially if you think what you've seen today in this thread is snarky. 

Ok, that out of the way, my legit question is.....

Why is it so offensive to YOU that people crop their images to make thumbnail images?  Not, why do you think the new rule sucks ass.  Not why you think Renderosity is the worstest site evah.  Why do YOU care what others have been doing since....damn, since most of us joined the site??  There are other sites that many people upload to, most of which require a separate thumbnail image.  In most galleries, artists have been doing it for....god, as long as I can remember.  I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from, and you're taking offense to it.

Oh, wait.  Sorry.  I won't try to look at something from another person's point of view ever again.  I mean, for God's sake, I might actually begin to understand someone.  And, well, that would be bad.  Right?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.