Thu, Sep 19, 9:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: External P7 runtime folder on Mac keeps asking for .obj files

sjmills ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 12:40 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:39 PM

When I got P7, I decided to use an external runtime folder for all my custom content. I figured this is a better plan for future upgrades, etc. I manually copied all 3rd party folders from the P6 Runtime folders to the new external folder (which is /Users/Shared/MyPoserLib/). Now when I open an old Poser document or even place one of these items (character, prop, etc), it asks me to locate its .obj, .pmd, or texture files. I thought maybe I could place the items, into a new document, then re-add them to the external runtime library, and hope that Poser would update the file to point to the found support files. Nope. When I open the prop in a text editor I can see that it still thinks its .obj should be in :Runtime:Geometries:blah. So, what's a person to do? This is pretty annoying? Why isn't Poser checking the a relative path in my external runtime folder?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:45 PM

if your original P6 runtime still exists, try adding it to the P7 runtime list, rather than adding a copy of it.

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:45 PM · edited Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:45 PM

Poser 7 won't rewrite the reference when you save to a different runtime (which support considers to be fine...).

sjmills ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 4:54 PM

As a software engineer who deals with customer problems of referenced files not being found when they open a document, I consider it a serious problem. No customer should be expected to search manually for a file except as a last resort. Poser needs to treat any additional runtime folders just as it would its own runtime folder when it comes to searching for relative files. If it can't find a file in ./Runtime/Geometries/, it should search /Geometries/. Guess I'll go submit another bug.

Dizzi ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:04 PM

Poser should search all runtimes, if search depth is set to deep (default) - at least on PC it does. Do you have a folder named "runtime" inside your "MyPoserLib" folder?

drifterlee ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 5:39 PM

I have that problem sometimes. I have both Poser 6 and 7 installed on my PC, with external runtimes for everything but Poser 6. Poser automatically looks in the Poser 6 runtime for textures etc., and you have to navigate manually to the runtime your content is installed in and tell Poser where to find it. It's a pain in the rear!

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 7:34 PM

I found P7 doing this for my external runtime, but then when I checked which runtime I was in, I noticed I was in the default Poser 7 runtime.  When I switched into the external runtime, and then tried to open a file, Poser did'nt keep asking for .OBJs, Textures, etc.

In ski
mming the P7 manual I noticed what DIzzi'd said about Search Depth, but hav'nt read-up yet?

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 9:09 AM

Quote - Do you have a folder named "runtime" inside your "MyPoserLib" folder?

Nope. MyPoserLib/     Geometries/     Library/     Textures/

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 9:12 AM

Quote - I found P7 doing this for my external runtime, but then when I checked which runtime I was in, I noticed I was in the default Poser 7 runtime.  When I switched into the external runtime, and then tried to open a file, Poser did'nt keep asking for .OBJs, Textures, etc.

I tried that, and it didn't help. I didn't think it would. I would guess that possibly you thought it worked because you had already located some files, then opened another document, at which point Poser had already cached the locations of some files in your external runtime.

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 9:52 AM

Quote - > Quote - Do you have a folder named "runtime" inside your "MyPoserLib" folder?

Nope. MyPoserLib/     Geometries/     Library/     Textures/

Well, there's your problem. A reference to :runtime:.... is always a reference to the folder "runtime" inside the folder that gives the runtime it's name. It should be MyPoserLib/Runtime/Geometries MyPoserLib/Runtime/Libraries MyPoserLib/Runtime/Textures etc.

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 12:47 PM

Quote - Well, there's your problem. A reference to :runtime:.... is always a reference to the folder "runtime" inside the folder that gives the runtime it's name. It should be MyPoserLib/Runtime/Geometries MyPoserLib/Runtime/Libraries MyPoserLib/Runtime/Textures etc.

Hmm, I guess I should RTFM more carefully. I've added a Runtime folder between MyPoserLib and the others. I quit Poser and opened one of my old documents, created in P6 when I had only the P6 Runtime folder. It still asks for the 3rd party .obj files. I located all the external files, saved the doc, quit, and opened it again. It still asks for the .obj files. Seems that if I tell Poser where something is, that information should be saved into the document. Maybe everything will work if I delete all my content and re-add it via the + button in each library subfolder. Then maybe it will write the .ppz/etc files with the correct .obj path reference, now that I have the Runtime folder in my external runtime path.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 12:49 PM

"I would guess that possibly you thought it worked"

Niet.  I tried to open that same D3.Pz3 about 6 times.  It was the first file I tried after FDISK.  Each time it asked for the same files.

If you think about it, it does make sense; and probably has something to do with the Search Depth Dizzi was talking about....I just looked through the P7 Reference Index, for Search Depth, but it's not listed?

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 12:54 PM

You could try to remove your "MyPoserLib" runtime in Poser and readed it (select the "MyPoserLib" folder, when readding it). If that doesn't help then either Poser 7 on the Mac is buggy or there's still something wrong anywhere else...

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 1:10 PM

Dizzi - What does Search Depth do, actually?

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 1:12 PM

Quote - You could try to remove your "MyPoserLib" runtime in Poser and readed it (select the "MyPoserLib" folder, when readding it). If that doesn't help then either Poser 7 on the Mac is buggy or there's still something wrong anywhere else...

Aha. After I created the Runtime folder in there, I didn't notice that Poser had completely lost track of MyPoserLib. Re-adding it did away with all the missing .obj files. Only one .pmd file is asked for now (morphs on a prop that will probably fix itself if I re-add the prop). Thanks for straightening me out on this. Too bad Poser needs the Runtime named folder in there. If you point a "runtime" to a folder, it should just use that folder as a "runtime" folder. Oh well.

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 1:32 PM

Quote - I just looked through the P7 Reference Index, for Search Depth, but it's not listed?

Preferences, Library tab, File Search: None/Shallow/Deep. This controls how deep Poser looks into folders for files.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 4:14 PM · edited Tue, 06 February 2007 at 4:15 PM

Individual folders, right?  I kinda do'nt get the variation, when would you not want Poser to look through all? Or do you just need to know if you're a Small Folder, or a Big Folder Man?

sjmills ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 8:30 PM

Quote - Individual folders, right?  I kinda do'nt get the variation, when would you not want Poser to look through all? Or do you just need to know if you're a Small Folder, or a Big Folder Man?

Did you RTFM? Page 25 I think. Just leave it set to Deep unless you're developing content and want to make sure all support files are where they should be.

nomuse ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2007 at 3:53 PM

I actually had an amusing failure just yesterday... Had some items organized into a runtime on a folder named "PP/P5." We Mac users don't usually think of the "/" as a hierarchy indictor. Unfortunately Poser does. So when I pointed Poser at "PP/P5:Runtime:Geometries:My_folder:My_object.geom" it saw "PP:P5:Runtime:Geometries...." and squawked "This is not a Runtime folder!"

sjmills ( ) posted Wed, 07 February 2007 at 3:59 PM

If you're using OS X, get used to thinking of '/' as a separator (it's the Unix sep, and OS X is based on Unix). Although they are legal file name characters, some apps treat them as separators. Just don't use them.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2007 at 1:03 AM

What does RTFM mean?

Hi, nomuse!  I keep thinking of how much you helped me in the Carrara Fourm, not too long ago.  One of these days, soon, I'm goint o repost there!

*"I actually had an amusing failure just yesterday."

*I put a foder named "!Applcation Files" into my Runtie once.  Poser then Coughed weisd, and died; until I removed the folder!

sjmills ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2007 at 9:04 AM

Read The F***ing Manual.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Thu, 08 February 2007 at 12:29 PM · edited Thu, 08 February 2007 at 12:37 PM

Well that's...ignorant?  I said I read through manual.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.