Wed, Oct 9, 2:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:55 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: How to turn a multiple figure into One

tgproductions ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2001 at 8:36 PM ยท edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 2:27 PM

Sorry if this has been covered before, but is it possible to create just one figure from a several figure pose (clothes, hair etc.) I would like the "figure" to load like the included Poser 4 preset figures with clothes (as one figure with a hair prop). I have made my figure 1 the parent for all of the other figures, but can't seem to find a way to combine everything into one.

wyrwulf ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2001 at 9:44 PM

If you have the latest Poser patch from CuriousLabs.com, you should be able to save the main character to the library, and include all the props.

ScottA ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2001 at 5:55 AM

No. There isn't an easy way to do this with Poser. The figure's that are wearing clothes and are one figure. Are made as one model. Then converted to a Poser figure. You'll need to export your combined figure as an .obj file model. Then convert it by hand back into a Poser figure. Lots of work. ScottA

wyrwulf ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2001 at 6:05 AM

Mason did a tutorial on combined figures. It looks like his site has been hosed by Geocities.

JKeller ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2001 at 4:35 PM

I do this all the time and it's not much work at all. Usually takes me less than 5 minutes. (Note: doing this makes it very difficult to distribute the character afterwards and in most cases it will be illegal to share or sell this character.)

10 Easy steps for integrated clothing figures:

1. Load you figure and all of the clothes (keep hair and props out of the picture and load these onto your final character later).

2. Conform the clothes.

3. Open the Joint Editor, make sure one of the body parts of your base figure is selected and hit the "Zero figure" button.

4. Hide, or uncheck "Visible" on any body parts that are not important for the final figure.

5. Export as OBJ. Run through your Hierarchy editor to make sure the correct figures and body parts are exporting. Save somewhere inside Runtime:Geometries where you will be able to easily find it later. When the check boxes come up, only check the top box "use existing body part names."

6. [Optional] When you export multiple figures, Poser renames all of your material names with a :1, :2, :3, etc. at the end of the name depending on which original figure it came from. You can open the .OBJ up in Compose and delete the ":#" off the end of the material names.

7. Make a copy of your base figure's CR2 and open this up in a text editor or CR2Editor.

Find the two references to the .obj file and change these to point to your new .obj (if you find 3 references, congratulations! You have genitals! If you are working with a nude male, it's time to learn the CR2 format and delete all references to genital body part and the genitalSwitch function. This part gets a little hard, but once it's done, save a copy of that CR2 for future use.).

1. Open your new CR2 up in poser (it will take a little longer than usual to open the first time). If you skiped step 6, all your colors are going to be funky, and you just have to go into your Material Editor and set everything right. If you did step 6, you're base figure's colors are going to be fine, but you'll have to reset the colors for all of the clothes.

2. Open up your Joint Editor window and start bending/side-to-sideing/twisting your figure around. Anywhere where you see some funky distortions going on is because of Sphericle Falloff Zones. If you know how to fix these, great...if you don't know anything about them, uncheck them for that channel in the Joint Editor.

3. Save your figure to the character library and go from there.

These are all very easy steps (unless you're working with a nude male and the genitalSwitch gets in the way) and once you've gone through all the steps a couple of times, you can do this in a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

tgproductions ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2001 at 6:08 PM

thanks I'll print this out and try it - probably will take me awhile as I'm new to this.

JKeller ( ) posted Wed, 11 April 2001 at 6:28 PM

If there are any terms or concepts you are unfamiliar with, feel free to ask. Also, make sure that your copy of Poser 4 is updated to 4.03 or you have the Pro Pack.

doozy ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 6:38 PM

"This part gets a little hard" Yuk yuk.

JKeller ( ) posted Thu, 12 April 2001 at 9:09 PM

Hehehe...that was unintentional. Honest.

pragask ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 7:17 AM

There used to be a utility that converted all figure and object elements in a pz3 file into a new object. Sorry, but I just can't remember the name. Perhaps someone could ?

JKeller ( ) posted Tue, 08 May 2001 at 4:06 PM

Compose can do that.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.