Fri, Oct 4, 3:33 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: What would be the best way to set up multiple Runtimes?

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 3:01 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 3:30 PM

From question few days ago...
I need to split up my Poser runtime into a far more managable way, but how to do that?

do I need to put a copy of the poser.exe in each folder so the DAZ installer's work right?

idea would be something along the lines of:

-Figures
|--Runtime

-Mike3 clothing
|--Runtime

-Vicky3 clothing
|--Runtime

etc, is that how to do it? :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 5:52 AM

file_369605.png

You only need one poser.exe. When you install a DAZ product, cancel the search which some of them try to do - then you can browse for your runtime manually. Better still, install them to a temporary folder first, and move only the files and folders that you want. Yes, your structure should work, as long as you keep a Runtime folder to be the root for everything else.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 7:47 AM

file_369611.jpg

This is a snapshot of my J drive, which is strictly for external runtimes ... as you can see, I just make folders for whatever content I want in it.  I'm actually in the process of expanding these just so that I have more runtimes with less content in it.

My Poser installs (5,6 & 7) all live on a different drive and it's never been a problem for me.  I didn't put a copy of poser.exe in any of these runtimes and they work fine.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

geep ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 9:05 AM

Attached Link: Runtimes Tutorial

file_369619.jpg

( click the image for .......... another image ) ... ;=]

Hi silverblade33,

You might find some help in this tutorial over at Dr Geep Studios.

cheers,
dr geep
;=]

Remember ... "With Poser, all things are possible, and poseable!"

cheers,

dr geep ... :o]

edited 10/5/2019

AnAardvark ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 9:23 AM

Quote - From question few days ago...
I need to split up my Poser runtime into a far more managable way, but how to do that?

do I need to put a copy of the poser.exe in each folder so the DAZ installer's work right?

Nope. In fact you can point the DAZ installer anywhere, just click on "cancel" when it tells you it is searching for the runtime. I do this as a matter of course, since I install my DAZ content to a temporary directory, and then move everything by hand. My runtimes are organized by groups of designers. I have a single run-time for DAZ stuff only. The problem with the DAZ installer is that it has a tendency to want to lump a lot of products into single folders, like "V3 Morphing Clothes", and texture expansion products sit by themselves (I move them into sub-folders under their original texture pose folder.) I've broken the pose folders into sub-folders for Clothes, Dynamic Clothes, Hair, Figure Poses and so on.

You can rearrange things however you want, as long as the Geometries, Textures, and Morph files don't change directories.

StevieG1965 ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 11:51 AM

I have a runtime for all the seperate figures, one for hair, one for shoes, one for props...etc.  I have them on an external hard drive and haven't had any problems with Poser finding them or using them (slow down is hardly noticable)  No Poser .exe in any of them.  The one thing I did do on a suggestion from someone was to move the "!Daz" folders for the mill people into the main poser runtime where they would normally sit.  You can completely move them, but, I'm paranoid and had a lot of space so i just copied them to the folder and have them both in the main and external runtimes.  (I'm at work and don't remember the folder, but, will edit this and show where they go)  It does help Poser search faster for the morphs and other little things you don't think about. 

I won't be home for another 6 hours, so, if anyone can tag the main Poser folder where the !DAZ folder sits...please post it so they don't have to wait, otherwise I'll do it as soon as I get home.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 12:07 PM

That would be the Poser Runtime folder ... that simple.

OTOH - with the advent of Poser 6 I didn't find the need to copy the !DAZ folders from my external runtimes.  I did copy them over for Poser 5 but that memory bug was corrected in P6.  I know some people had problems even in P6 but I never did, and I certainly don't with P7.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Dajadues ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 2:02 PM · edited Wed, 21 February 2007 at 2:03 PM

For myself, I find it easier to do externals on my C: drive, I go by figures, I have adult figures all in one folder, kids in another, then I have props in a seperate folder & one for domestic items. I have roughly 4 runtimes. The less runtimes I have, the faster Poser loads.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 2:26 PM

I've found that you can have any number of runtimes but the trick to getting Poser to load quickly is to have only the 2 Poser runtimes linked at the time you close the program.  The next time you load Poser it uses the xml file it writes at close to link runtimes and if no external runtimes are linked when you closed Poser, there won't be any to link when you open it again.  It's become a habit of mine to off-load any external runtimes I've been using when I get ready to end a session.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Dajadues ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 3:42 PM · edited Wed, 21 February 2007 at 3:49 PM

Well, I only do this as a hobby so, I really don't have a lot of stuff. I prob could narrow everything down to 2 runtimes if I wanted too.  I have P5 & use the Poser figures, more than Daz figures, Im not keen on Daz stuff because I find them too high Poly for my needs. My oddball items i place those in different runtimes. I plan to upgrade Poser by the summer. I prob will ditch all the Daz figs by then.

I dont have trouble closing, more on the loading side. It closes faster than it loads for some reason.

silverblade33 ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 7:43 PM

Thanks for all the help, folks, appreciate it :)

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

nemmerss ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 5:38 PM

@Victoria_Lee:

I am not certain that the number of linked runtimes is an issue...at least it isn't for me (147 and counting).  What seems to slow me down is if I close Poser in a folder other than the Poser 6 runtime.

If I change to the main runtime prior to close, Poser snaps open pretty quick the next open (pointed to the core runtime folder).  It's much slower opening if I leave it pointed to a networked drive's runtime; even more-so if that machine is turned off.  In that case, Poser wipes the LibraryPrefs.xml contents and loads links to the basic folders in the main Poser installation directory.

YMMV

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 6:47 PM

Ah ... I see.  I always unload my external runtimes before I close my poser session so that I open in the default runtime which has nothing in it but native content. 

When you have a lot of linked runtimes at closing Poser will index all of those on opening and that will slow down the load time.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.