Thu, Sep 19, 5:29 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Advice on newbie photographer

swift_wraith ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 7:16 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:27 PM

Hi, I'm just starting up into photography and am looking for any advice you guys can throw my way.

Heres my equipment so far:

Konica Minolta Z3 (reconditioned)
46.7 > 52mm adaptor tube
generic tripod

Filters:
Kenko 52mm UV filter
Hoya 52mm polarising filter
Hoya 52mm +2 close up filter
Hoya 52mm +4 close up filter
Hoya 52mm skylight (1B) filter
iZumar 52mm 1A filter - no idea what this one is for, was given it as freebie

All stored in a Crumpler pizza bag.

Also have a Canon powershot A40 as a backup/take anywhere camera.

Everything was bought from ebay (cutting costs where I can)

I know someones gonna say get some serious kit but i first want to test the water and see if I have any flair for photography before (or if) I start spending some serious money on an EOS or simular.

I have done some shots with my gf etc but we're both inexperienced in this field.

So, what advice can you guys send towards a budding amateur? Also, do you have any tips on creating a small set up studio / lighting set? Am already in the process of making my own backdrops using white muslin and fabric dyes (gonna finish this weekend).

Thanks in advance
Anthony

babuci ( ) posted Wed, 21 February 2007 at 10:00 PM · edited Wed, 21 February 2007 at 10:01 PM

Hi Anthony!

I can say little on your gear but sound you got what need...camera and some filter.  We all started here and went further later on.  I see some picture in a gallery made by others with a very simple camera and they achive beautiful shots. Perhaps would use a different bag just for better keeping all your gear. Tread running now about different bags , check it out it might help.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2686159

On a lightbox here is a link how can you get away with it on a cheap.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2683710

Send some picture so we can actually see if you need any guide.....good luck!

seeya  Tunde

Dianthus ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 1:05 AM

Hi Anthony,
We all start from somewhere. All i can say is shoot shoot and shoot. Practice makes perfect.
As for lighting gear i just bought myself a MASSIVE 48"&24" Studio Cube Photo Light Tent & LIGHTING
Hope this works and i will let you know. I started off with bedside lamps and coloured laminated craftwood. So this new tent and lighting will be unbelievable.

As for camera i started with a small digital and worked my way upwards. Best buy was my canon Eos300D. Then i got 20D and the other week got my new toy the Canon5D. As i get work it pays off what i buy and upgrade to.

Takecare
Chris

swift_wraith ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 4:13 AM

Thanks guys, to add to my collection the postie brought me a new 50cm soft box with 4 colour backdrops and a white round diffuser/reflector.

Thanks for the link Dianthus, it looks like a great setup, but at the moment i'm trying to work within a strict budget.

Mind you, any advice anyone can give on cheap lighting setups will be greatly appreciated. At the moment i'm using 2 x 20w halogen multi-positionable  desk lamps. but would like something better as/if i get better.

I'll work on some shots over the weekend to show my lack of prowess. :p

TwoPynts ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 1:56 PM

That soft box should come in handy, I know mine does. Nothing to add, except get shooting! ;'] Enjoy.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

inshaala ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 3:33 PM

Attached Link: Studio setup for under $80

The above link shows you how you can make your own mini studio. Might be worth checking out and expanding on ideas/enlarging some things to your taste.

Hope that helps😄

oh and that is good advice - shoot shoot and shoot... check out any of the member's galleries which you like and then look back at the first upload they put up. 90% of the time you can see where they came from (the other 10% are people who had already passed the "amateur" stage before uploading stuff on here)

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

jocko500 ( ) posted Thu, 22 February 2007 at 9:24 PM

just use what you got and go for it. I had the same camera for years. Not much but then my brother give me his 35 mmm film camera that is 30 years old. i learning to shot eith it. 
Know nothing of softboxes. I saw a light box 6 feet x 8 feet and still do not know what it is lol
my studio is a five gallon paint pan i set my UV lighting and neon paint on to shoot. I got nothing really. No money all was given to me. So I use what I have and go for it. It just a hobby for me.

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.