Mon, Sep 23, 5:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: WTFF has happened to the galleries front page?!

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:05 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 5:29 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

What are you trying to do? Recreate the buddy fest that was the unlamented Top 20?
Most Commented? Who gives a rat's ass?!
Today's Top Rated? Its  ALWAYS going to be won by the buddy system.
Honestly, I thought Rosity had got beyond this.

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:09 PM

What? This was the original front page in the galleries we had when we converted but due to all the nude thumbnail complaints we received, it had to be taken down. Now its back up since that isn't an issue any longer.   Its not a "contest" , it just a fun page to show the Top images in different categories for the day.  

You can just click the whats new browse button if you are offended by the other categories on that page.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:12 PM

Euhmm Stacey .. i never ever saw the image of most commented etc etc on the frontpage before....
So how can it be like it always was ?? the only thumb i ever saw the whats NEW ...
Nothing else... this is just a day or two for me now...

Greetings 

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:15 PM

I stated it was the landing page for the galleries when we first CONVERTED to the PHP platform. It was there for several weeks before we had to take it down due to complaints of all the nude thumbnails.  I didn't say it was ALWAYS the landing page but it was when we originally converted. It was stated in the Front page article about the new thumbnail policy that we would be bringing this page back.

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:17 PM

And the Top 20 was just supposed to be a 'fun page to show the top images'. But caused so much controvasy that Rosity dropped it and introduced a less 'buddy driven' system. And now here it is back again in pretty much its original form. 'Todays Top Rated' is just the Top 20 with another name.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:20 PM

Sorry stacey i didnot mean to poke at you...
Its my dutch mind translating to english i think...
Im not complaining or what so ever .. i like the gallery load page like this.. 
And reading you mail ... well i can remember seeing other images then the whats NEW on the page..
But the site is your work so i think you know better what is and whats not on it...
If i pushed the wrong button im so sorry ..

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:21 PM

I don't see it as the Hot20 at all. Its just a todays stats page???

As I stated you don't even have to look at it if it offends you, just click the browse on the Whats New since that is the top section and you'll never even know whats below there:)  We got really good feedback from members liking this page (other than all the nude thumbnails).

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:23 PM

No worries Bar, I didn't take it that way..I was just trying to explain more clearly what I meant by my statement about it being the original landing page when we converted.

I'm glad you like the page. Its a fun page that members who would like to see the today's different category images can and the ones that don't, don't have to:)

lemur01 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:36 PM

Ok, my mistake.   I took "Todays" top rated to mean images posted today in which case it would be just another Hot 20. Now i realise that some of those images are quite old. I apologise for seeing red and posting before looking closer at what was being presented. Sigh, Note to self, don't be a jackass before 9pm

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 1:38 PM

heehee:) No worries!!! 

Tissaia ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 2:45 PM

Hi,
first of all I would like to say that in every member survey I opted for features like top viewed/favorites. It's a great addition to the gallery, and helps those who have no time to spot what RO artists have best to offer.
So I'm for those features, but have 2 questions:

Could there be 'today's top favorites' section too - pretty please :P ?
I kind of agree that 'most commented' will be occupied with artists who have most friends, which is natural, but well... not necessary best to find the best art. I think adding 'top favs' tab could add some usefulness to fun.

Could there be something like at DeviantArt site: only pics uploaded within last 24h are taken to a poll?  Now in 'today's top rated' there's pic from a year 2000!

svdl ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 4:58 PM

Tissaia - I support that idea. Something like this is already in place in freestuff: two lists of top contributors, one that's calculated over the last two weeks, one that's calculated over all time.
I think something like this would also bring more consistency to the site.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 5:18 PM

funny how you don't have to look at somethings if they offend you but not others. whilst i agree with the thumb policy and i don't give a rats ass whats on the front page, i am suprised with "an if you don't like it don't look" statement.

billy

StaceyG ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 6:17 PM

Billy,

In no way was I being sarcastic in that comment. I just let him know that the page was there for a "fun" thing for members. Of course all members aren't going to want to see all the same things so I was telling him that if he didn't like this page there was a way to avoid it easily since the Whats New was at the top and he could just hit the browse button to avoid seeing the other sections.. 

Tissaia,

I'll ask about your suggestions and see:)

Tissaia ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 6:31 PM

Quote -

Tissaia,

I'll ask about your suggestions and see:)

Thanks!  😄

billy423uk ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 8:37 PM

sorry stacey i never dreamt you were being sarcastic and if it looks like thats what i implied please accept my apologies.  i just thought it ironic that those who disliked the old thumbs were able to make rendo change whilst those who don't care for the top 20 are told not to look at it. i have seen it said more than once that most are in the top 20 cos of the back slapping syndrome, whether or not it's true i don't know but it sounds as reasonable as arguement for stopping it as did the nude thumb arguement. jmo of course and it's okay if others dissagree with me lol.  again sorry for making you think i was on about sarcasm. personally i think youi do a great job overall as do the other mods and admin. (i say this in with warmth and truth )i'm the first to admit you have a hard job to do.

billy

thefixer ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 8:24 AM

I was going to comment but decided not to because ----------- Hmmm!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

StaceyG ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 9:44 AM

The Hot20 is gone because of all the complaints about that abuse with the voting for it.  The Todays Top categories is not the same as I explained above.

Thanks

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 10:02 PM

OMG! I remember that page when the gallery first converted to PHP!  LMAO  It was very evident that nudes garnered the most views in the gallery since that's all that was showing on the front page back then,  LOL  I wish I had taken a screenshot but I was so shocked that I didn't even think about it.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

inshaala ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2007 at 7:40 AM

btw - the "top rated" isnt todays top rated, its just a load of old uploads which have been rated again by someone today.  Thus it is always going to be "broken" in that it will never be up to date... fix the script to include a "must be uploaded today" line?

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 06 March 2007 at 1:45 PM

The top rated has now been fixed to calculate the TODAY's ratings:)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.