Wed, Sep 18, 6:46 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 6:30 pm)

Subject: ADMINS please help..."Read Posts" tag does not update...

fuaho ( ) posted Wed, 28 February 2007 at 10:56 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 9:01 PM

As I read through different posts here and then return to the threads, I often get a little lost determining what thread I just came from. I was about to ask if there is a way to change the color, like many links do after being selected, when I saw the key at the bottom of the page. According to the key, a yellow star indicates an unread thread, and a grey star shows those that have been read.
However, this does not work for me. They are all yellow stars all the time so I don't know where I am on the page without re-reading the subject lines to find the last one accessed.
How can I get this to work? Or is this only after I click on "mark all read, etc? 

If that's the case, is there a way to do what I'm asking and have those "read threads" update one at a time after being accessed? Or at least to highlight the one I've just returned from to make navigation a little easier?

TIA,

<?))###><<  

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 12:03 AM

You're asking in the wrong forum, probably ought to ask in Administration -> Community Center or via email to admin@renderosity.com.

My Freebies

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 12:26 AM

file_370358.jpg

Do you use IE or another browser?

Make sure you have  "Sort by date" showing  as in the screenshot. This will move all active posts to the top of the forum.

If you use Mozilla-Firefox you can take advantage of their "tabbed browsing" which allows you to open a page and then right click on a link and open that link in a new "tab" instead of a new window or instead of the same window.  That is what I do.

I open the Poser forum and then right click my way down the list of  threads and then go and read the threads that opened in different "tabs". When I'm done those I do it again for more threads until I've come to the end of them. Then I click "Mark all read prior to NOT "Mark All Forums Read" whjich I find is buggy and doesn't always show current posts if you have used it.  So always just use "Mark All Read Prior to....." instead.

Unfortunately the threads do not automatically switch to "read" after you access them. I don't really understand why they can't program that in because it sure would be easier and less confusing. However it's been like this since the change to PHP and I don't think it will be changing.

Give Mozilla-Firefox a try and see if that makes things any easier for you.

You can even customize it to suit your needs by downloading small extensions:

https://addons.mozilla.org/?application=firefox

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SGT2005 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 12:06 PM

Wow my first post here in poser :)

I agree with Acadia. I love FireFox stability. IE gives me nothing but headaces.

just my opinion  though.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

DarkEdge ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 2:13 PM

who let you out of the playground sarge? 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

SGT2005 ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 6:03 PM

um.....Jumpstartme2 did ...lol. She said and I repeat " Sgt its time you made some new friends but be careful of that DarkEdge one".  Naw all is good  hopefully I can contribute some things in here.

sgtprotex1@netscape.net

University of Pheonix Alumni 2008
AA Criminal Justice Degree
BA Criminal Justice Degree

Currently study in Parapsychology

fuaho ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2007 at 8:44 PM

Quote -

Unfortunately the threads do not automatically switch to "read" after you access them. I don't really understand why they can't program that in because it sure would be easier and less confusing. However it's been like this since the change to PHP and I don't think it will be changing.

Well, I guess that answers one part of my question. 

The other part is why can't it be programmed to automatically switch to "read" like most other forums, emails, searches on Google, items on eBay or ... everything else everywhere else...?????

<??))***><<  

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 12:37 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showforum.php?forum_id=12357

> Quote - > Quote - > > > > Unfortunately the threads do not automatically switch to "read" after you access them. I don't really understand why they can't program that in because it sure would be easier and less confusing. However it's been like this since the change to PHP and I don't think it will be changing. > >   > > Well, I guess that answers one part of my question.  > > The other part is why can't it be programmed to automatically switch to "read" like most other forums, emails, searches on Google, items on eBay or ... everything else everywhere else...?????

For that you will have to post in the above forum and ask the programmers.

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 12:53 AM · edited Fri, 02 March 2007 at 12:54 AM

Quote - As I read through different posts here and then return to the threads, I often get a little lost determining what thread I just came from. I was about to ask if there is a way to change the color, like many links do after being selected, when I saw the key at the bottom of the page. According to the key, a yellow star indicates an unread thread, and a grey star shows those that have been read.
However, this does not work for me. They are all yellow stars all the time so I don't know where I am on the page without re-reading the subject lines to find the last one accessed.
How can I get this to work? Or is this only after I click on "mark all read, etc? 

If that's the case, is there a way to do what I'm asking and have those "read threads" update one at a time after being accessed? Or at least to highlight the one I've just returned from to make navigation a little easier?

TIA,

<?))###><<  

Basically they don't care & are not interested to fix, so don't waste your time asking - this issue was brought up when the forums changed & the only fixes are those like Acadia suggested where you have to do the work yourself.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 2:36 AM

Quote -
Basically they don't care & are not interested to fix, so don't waste your time asking

I wouldn't say that.

Remember last year when the boards changed over the PHP? Well back then we couldn't search by member name and the search engine here was really, really bad and the way it was set up it was very hard if not impossible to find anything.

Enough people posted in the community forum asking for these changes to be made.

We can now search the forums by member name and the search has been more streamlined so that it's possible to narrow the scope of the search making searching the forums so much better.

All I can suggest is posting in the community forum.  Maybe if enough people ask for it and it's a possibility to do, then it will be done too.  I'm not saying to revolt or yell and rant.  But there is no harm in asking about it in a nice way.

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 2:09 PM

Quote - um.....Jumpstartme2 did ...lol. She said and I repeat " Sgt its time you made some new friends but be careful of that DarkEdge one".  Naw all is good  hopefully I can contribute some things in here.

lol!
i'm sure more was said but probably not printable. 😉

Comitted to excellence through art.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 7:59 PM

Oooo lookit SGT trying to get me in trouble :lol:

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2007 at 8:09 PM

heh. He has yet to learn that you don't need any help in that department :P

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2007 at 1:44 AM

Nope, I can find it all by myself ROTFL!

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.