Sun, Oct 6, 7:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Opinons best wacom tablets for PSP

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 6:46 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 12:29 PM

I use PSP9. I was wondering what would be the best pen tablet to use with this program as far as compatibility? In time I want to perfect drawing hair onto my figures.

Thanks guys.

silverthornne ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 7:42 AM

That simply depends on your budget. Personally I would go for Intuos 3, but from then on it's a matter of studying the various options.

The Grapphire line has half the pressure sensitivity levels than an Intuos 3. Now, that many not be much of a difference at first as you get used to it, but once you start mastering the tablet it will definitely make a difference so why go for one you'll upgrade anyway when you could go straight for the right one?

Then, of course, you need to decide how big you want it (or can afford). There's also a widescreen format model in case you use a widescreen monitor.

The Cintiq line is certainly interesting, but its price is extremely prohibitive IMO. Cintiq and Intuos 3 both support the same amount of pressure levels but the Cintiq has an LCD display which the Intuos lacks. You choose how much that's worth to you.

Anyway, the Wacom website has a neat little section where you can fill out a questionnaire and it will suggest the Wacom for you. Try it out!

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 7:45 AM

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative. I will do just that.

Jimdoria ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 11:12 AM

I'd just like to add some advice. This may not mesh with some other people's experience, but I'd say it's important  to stick with Wacom.

You can find great deals on eBay on other types of graphics tablets, and some of these may even be good values. But Wacom owns this market (and for good reason). If you buy a tablet from some no-name Chinese manufacturer and find that pressure sensitivity doesn't work right, or the pen buttons go all wacky in certain applications, your resources for getting assistance will be rather limited.

One other thing - if you are considering the Cintinq ($$$) you might want to also consider a Tablet PC. Most of them use Wacom technology, and you can get a whole computer for about what the Cintinq will set you back. Of course, the screen size is smaller, too. But it might be worth it to take your "sketchpad" with you wherever you go, plus get all the usual benefits of a laptop.

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'm really not trying to spend anymore than $200. So I'll shop around...with Wacom.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 11:46 AM · edited Wed, 14 March 2007 at 11:49 AM

Check eBay for Wacom Tablets. You might be able to get a deal on one. 

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

JQP ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 11:57 AM

I recently purchased a Wacom Intuos 3 6x8.  One thing I'd recommend, other than the usual advice (go Wacom, Intuos over Graphire, etc.) is don't worry too much about size.  For me the 6x8 is EASILY big enough for anything I'd ever want to do with it (wide variety of apps).

DominiqueB ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 1:42 PM

I would also recommend a Wacom Intuos, having tried several sizes I can say that my favorite is the 4x5 inch model, because I can cover the entire screen with a flick of the wrist without having to move my arm. Stick with Wacom they are trouble free and the pen is very light.

Dominique Digital Cats Media

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 3:51 PM

Holy Moly! The Intuos is out of my price range whereas the graphire is not only in my price range but when i took the survey to see the best fit, graphire was it. All I want to do is paint on the hair. I don't really need any other features or ever an LCD. Just as long as I could paint hair onto my figures. What's a girl to do? Hmmmmmmm.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 6:16 PM

You should look into Hair Brushes.  You can do some pretty realistic "painted hair" just with your mouse.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

tekmonk ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 7:11 PM

Dont worry, the difference between a graphire and an intuos isnt that extreme. The biggest difference is in how the 2 respond to a light touch. But that isn't something you need to worry about too much for something like hair. The graphire is an excellent tablet otherwise, i used one for years before getting an intuos.

Plus if this is your first tablet then you definitely want the cheapest one you can get (wacom of course) cause the fact is not everyone is able to adapt to using a tablet. It requires a certain sort of hand-eye approach to drawing that some artists find very hard to master. Best to try with a cheaper model first (or even a borrowed one if you can) You can always save for the better models if you need to.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 10:40 PM

Since my tablet doubles as mouse, I opted for the Intuos 9x12 tablet.  It is very big though.  If you are just as happy to slide the tablet onto your lap when using the stylus, then the smaller tablet is probably a better choice.

My Freebies

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 14 March 2007 at 10:49 PM

Wacom tablets come cheap, but for the money you'd spend on a higher end tablet($100-$200) you could pick up a Touch Screen Monitor at eBay.

JQP ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 6:24 PM

"It requires a certain sort of hand-eye approach to drawing that some artists find very hard to master. Best to try with a cheaper model first (or even a borrowed one if you can) You can always save for the better models if you need to."

I'd agree with this except, what's the alternative.  You have to learn to draw by feel with a tablet, and that's not easy, but in any case it's far better than a mouse and I know of nothing better.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 9:22 PM

I've never owned a tablet and truthfully didn't know what one was until recently. I thought it was way easier to use than a mouse but didn't know it requires a certain hand/eye coordination. I just thought you put the pen to the pad and scribble away.

tekmonk ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 1:44 AM

Well i'm not saying its hard, and it is way easier then with a mouse. But it feels very different then drawing on paper. For one, when you draw on paper, you can always see your hand/pencil and see where its going with the line. With a tablet, your eyes are always on the screen, while your hand is moving on the tablet. So you can only sort of guess where your hand will go next. And secondly, the size of the tablet is usually not the same as the size of the monitor. So the stroke you make on the tablet is not the same size as the one you see on screen. These things throw off your visual sense and like JQP said, its more like drawing by feel.

Some people can manage with this and some cant. Only way to know is to try it yourself and see.

Quote - I'd agree with this except, what's the alternative.  You have to learn to draw by feel with a tablet, and that's not easy, but in any case it's far better than a mouse and I know of nothing better.

The Cintiqs are the alternative, but given their price not a solution for everyone. Hopefully they will become cheaper in the future, cause they are a dream to use over a normal tablet.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 8:06 AM

I'm stuck between sizes 4x5 and 6x8. 

Will size affect how I do the hair? For instance if I do really long hair, will it go off the screen or something? I'm very new to Poser and to tablets and just want to know before I spend a ridiculous amout of money. What does size affect really?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.