Sun, Oct 6, 11:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: MAKE MY FREEBIE POSEABLE PLEASE?.....

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:19 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:56 AM

file_371999.jpg

I'm creating a freebie sci fi vehicle for all three apps (Poser, DAZ STUDIO, Bryce 5 / 6) and I need to make this thing poseable and I want the finished product poseable in both DAZ STUDIO and POSER (Versions 4 through 7). Its ideally going to be in both a POSER / DAZ STUDIO version - and - the geometry file(s) can be imported into BRYCE (I'm a BRYCE USER - I have DAZ STUDIO - but NOT POSER.) The Model is being made in WINGS 3D -and it is almost completed as you can see. It will be in scale with ALL Poser / DAZ figures.

This is going to be a free model for users of all three apps. I would like someone to cooperatively partner with me on this to make it poseable and compatible with at least DAZ STUDIO (DAZ can export into Bryce compatible model formats) - as well as perhaps assist me in UV MAPPING it / texture mapping it with UV that is again compatible with these progs.
The following are various shots of the model in WINGS 3D.

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:20 AM

file_372000.jpg

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:20 AM

file_372001.jpg

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:20 AM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:21 AM

file_372002.jpg

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:21 AM

file_372003.jpg

akibabe ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:22 AM

hey:) im sure someone will help:)  if i knew how to pose this cool flight vehicle, id do it:9 but:( i only know daz studio:P  but hey all:):D  mugsey needs a lil help:d so come on over here y'all:P . goood luck;)

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:24 AM

file_372005.jpg

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:26 AM

file_372006.jpg

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:27 AM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:29 AM

file_372007.jpg

Thanks akibabe.

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:41 AM

PS - I also need someone who can "smart prop" so that I can make various add-ons for this thing to.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 9:27 AM

Doesn't look too complicated. What parts should move on this plane? Canopy, ailerons on all wings, I guess.
Does the plane have landing gear?

The armament would be best as smart props. 

If you want posable ailerons/rudders, make sure those parts have a leading edge! The leading edges will come into view when a flap is rotated up or down by more than a few degrees.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 9:31 AM

You just need the hatch to open/close and the rockets smart-proped ?  Thats just so simple .!

I suppose some of the control surfaces should move ?  Thats easier if the geometry is properly built.   (that is all holes closed )

if you want to pm me so we can arrange the file transfer I'd be happy to do it .

If theres more you want done just make a list .

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 11:23 AM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 11:30 AM

The model isn't done - it doesn't have moveable aelerons (yet?) but I want to make retractable landing gear of some sort, retractable gear doors, moving canopy, and smart propped weapons (I'm making various addons for the wing pods!). I may slice the canopy in a way that may allow it to open "gull wing" style like a sports car - or - oI may have it tilt open like on the colonial vipers on the OLD Battlestar Galactica series. I haven't decided. Right now I want someone who could team up with me to produce cool freebies - I would make them - and they would make them poseable / refine them. This specific model is my main priority though.

Please keep in mind that I am making this stuff on WINGS 3d - and I can export  in only .obj, .3ds, .VRML formats -and the format used by Nendo.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 11:36 AM

Retractable landing gear, that sounds cool. Do you want to include the hydraulics too? Can be done, the pistons can be rigged in Poser to work automatically right.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 11:47 AM

Yes - retractable gear. I also want to texture this thing to look like a real military aircraft - in multiple variations, but I have to probably have my texture map / template done for me by someone else because UV mapping in WINGS produces a .mtl file and I don't know how either Poser or DAZ STUDIO can handle them.

svdl ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 1:06 PM

The UV mapping goes into the .OBJ itself. The .mtl file only specifies what material settings (texture maps, bump maps, transparency maps, base diffuse/ambient colors) should be associated with what material name. Nothing else.

So UV mapping in Wings is just fine. 

I use UVMapper Pro by Steve Cox for creating texture templates, since 3DS Max doesn't export UV coordinates well with the .OBJ expoter.

Creating textures based on texture templates is a whole different ballgame. I can't help you there, since texture creation is typical 2D work (think Photoshop, PSP, the Gimp), which I completely suck at. 

Rigging a Poser figure, on the other hand, is something I'm getting quite experienced at. For example, if your plane is going to have a nose wheel and two wheels under the wings, I can set things up so that you only need to spin two dials (probably on the BODY) to retract the complete landing gear: "retractGear" and "openDoors".
Using Poser 7 dependent parameters this could even be consolidated into one single dial. But that won't work in older versions of Poser, neither will it work in DAZ|Studio.

It would cost probably a couple of hours, no more than a full working day, to rig your plane. The fact that it only consists of rigid parts simplifies the rigging significantly, I won't have to worry about spherical falloff zones and such.

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 5:55 PM

There's a UVMapping tutorial for Wings out there (a toxic barrell, I think it's by MRIguy, but I could be off..;)  Just find some jpgs, Import as Image (or picture, I don't remember which), then do the UVMapping for the plane. The real @#$% is getting signeage (Air Force numbers, warning labels, etc) to be placed right.

The rigging I don't know much (only made one attempt), but it could be done. Keep at it, and we'll help where we can.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 8:31 PM

SVDL - I will keep in touch and keep you guys updated on my progress as the plane should be done and ready to send "down the assembly line" to get "Poserized" this week or next, so no problemo  amigos. I'll probably model the gear assemblies this week.

markschum ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 11:07 PM

obj format is ideal. The rigging of hardware is fairly easy , as was said, because you dont have any joint blend zones to deal with, just positioning the pivot points in poser, and creating the hierarchy.

Just post again , preferably a new posting , when ya want help poserising it .

Mugsey ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 7:17 AM

Will do, as I said before I am still working on it - but I do have one question and that is : Should I make the canopy a seperate exported model - or should I include it in the same .3ds / obj object?

svdl ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 11:22 AM

Doesn't have to be a separate file. But it has to be a separate group with its own name.
Each part that can move must have its own group name.

The figure itself would have "hull" as the root actor, comparable with "hip" for a human figure.

The canopy is directly attached to the hull and has no moving subparts, so it can be one group "canopy"

The nose wheel is different. It consists of a leg that can be retracted into the hull, and it has a wheel that can turn. The "leg" consists of two parts, the top part can't turn around the vertical axis, while the bottom part can, to allow for steering.
Further, the leg will be connected to a piston system for the retracting. The piston system consists of two parts.
Each of these parts must be a separately named group.

Export to .OBJ is preferable, it's Poser's native format. 3DS may not support more than 32,000 polys (depends on the exporter implementation) and may not support groups.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.